What if a dog attacks or threatens to attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    What if a dog attacks or threatens to attack? Often times I wonder what the repercussions would be if while walking w/ my family we were approached, threatened, or attacked by a stray dog and I shot the dog to protect my family. Anyone know what I could expect legally?

More clarification...within city limits...talking about BIG dogs...had to kick a few in my day whn i used to run. Pits and Rots still worry me because they just don't let go.

I liked the post that said protect first and worry about the legal stuff later.

Thanks for connecting me to those with answers!

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The possibilities are many, but if the dog is a stray, you'll likely not have problems. If the dog belongs to someone, it's probable that the owner will sue you for veterinary bills.

In the end, a good shoot is a good shoot. Although there are a couple of members here who have had problems with their local law enforcement.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Oh buddy, there are so many variable to go along with that question. I think it is impossible to answer that one until you get there. I carry pepper spray as well as a CC piece. I also have a nice big clip knife as well. The gun would be the last resort as far as I am concerned - at least in town that is. If I were out away from people, the dog would become target practice.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Do what is necessary to protect you and yours, and worry about the legality of it later. We HAVE had some instances involving INGO members where local Law Enforcement lost their damn minds.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In town or a rural area probably makes a big difference. A buick seems to be a good answer.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    haha lederhosen. Worst sight of my life involved lederhosen that made women's running shorts look like long pants...

but yea, PM liberty sanders and ask him about his dog-related shooting, where he was told that shots into the dog are better than shots into the ground next to it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If a big dog attacks and I cant just defend myself by kicking his head I would use pepper spray (I heard it works great on dogs) if I have any on me that day.
    If I dont have pepper spray or that doesnt work I would go with deadly force right away without asking myself much question (knife, tactical baton, gun).
    If im with my girlfriend and she may be attacked by the dog I wouldnt even bother with pepper spray and shoot the damn thing right away or use any other deadly solution to take care of the problem.
    Like rugertoter said I wouldnt use my gun first with people around.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Shoot the damb thing! Screw all the guys saying your going to get sued! Those same people who own the dog that you shot know your armed and living around the corner. File a civil suit against them claming emotional distress caused by being attacked and having to take the life of a animal.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If a big dog attacks and I cant just defend myself by kicking his head I would use pepper spray (I heard it works great on dogs) if I have any on me that day.

From hearsay and personal experience, I have no confidence in spray products. Bear spray might be different, but you'll look like Dog the Bounty Hunter with a fire extinguisher on your hip.

Top Bottom