What if a dog attacks or threatens to attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Can you run faster than the other guy? Seriously, if you are in fear of your life or serious bodily harm, shoot the subject.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    why not snatch the dogs up like the great ceasar, lay them on there side and use positive energy to correct the dogs behavior.
    Seriously if its a rott, pitt, german shepard, and it doesnt look like a bluff emty the mag,slice and dice them with a knife or if your a super badass pull their tung out.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If you are inside city limits, I am sure there are leash laws that pet owners must abide by. That being said, if a dog approaches you, its owner is obviously in violation of the leash laws. Either that, or the dog is a stray.

If I were you, i would carry pepper spray. I have a small key ring size bottle of Fox Labs pepper spray. The stuff is HOT and will definitely make a dog think twice about attacking. The good thing about pepper spray is that you dont have to worry about permanent damage to the dog. As soon as its paw hits pavement, it gets hit with a shot of pepper spray. Period. If it doesn't respond to that, the gun is out. By that time if you had to shoot, you would have a pretty good case for self defense.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you are inside city limits, I am sure there are leash laws that pet owners must abide by. That being said, if a dog approaches you, its owner is obviously in violation of the leash laws. Either that, or the dog is a stray.

If I were you, i would carry pepper spray. I have a small key ring size bottle of Fox Labs pepper spray. The stuff is HOT and will definitely make a dog think twice about attacking. The good thing about pepper spray is that you dont have to worry about permanent damage to the dog. As soon as its paw hits pavement, it gets hit with a shot of pepper spray. Period. If it doesn't respond to that, the gun is out. By that time if you had to shoot, you would have a pretty good case for self defense.
    If the spray doesn't work, you may not have time to shoot now that there is a pissed off pitt on you. If I am being attacked, I am more worried about the permanent damage done to me not the dog. :twocents: I love dogs btw. I have two Rotties.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I like dogs as much as the next guy, probably more.
    I am also aware that some dogs are more prone to being vicious than others.
    That being said, it would require an actual attack by the dog or his handler,
    (growling and barking does not constitute an attack)

I will stop the threat, regardless of my current location.
    (inside city limits, outside city limits, stepping out of an elevator)

My understanding is that I have the right to protect myself, my family
    or others from harm, regardless of what it is or where I'm located.

And no, I don't go looking for trouble.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    You can't shoot a dog because it is activity aggressive and it might attack. T
    It's illegal to kill a domestic animal. We had some guy on a bike pick it up and throw it at a boxer because the dog was aggressive and charging him. Dog was in the porpety owners yard the entire time. He was contained with an invisible fence. Guy had to pay a 1100 vet bill and damaged a 1700 bike

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You covered one aspect (acting aggressive) but you didn't state what your options are if the animal is actually attacking.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You can't shoot a dog because it is activity aggressive and it might attack. T
    It's illegal to kill a domestic animal. We had some guy on a bike pick it up and throw it at a boxer because the dog was aggressive and charging him. Dog was in the porpety owners yard the entire time. He was contained with an invisible fence. Guy had to pay a 1100 vet bill and damaged a 1700 bike

Without reading the case and court decision I can't say for sure. But I'm guessing that a large part of that was because the dog was on it's own property and contained. If it had been on the street, I'm guessing the results may have been different.
    IC 35-46-3-12
    Torture or mutilation of a vertebrate animal; killing a domestic animal
    A person who knowingly or intentionally kills a domestic animal without the consent of the owner of the domestic animal commits killing a domestic animal, a Class D felony.
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the accused person:
    (1) reasonably believes the conduct was necessary to:
    (A) prevent injury to the accused person or another person;
    (B) protect the property of the accused person from destruction or substantial damage; or
    (C) prevent a seriously injured vertebrate animal from prolonged suffering; or
    Indiana Code 35-46-3

You covered one aspect (acting aggressive) but you didn't state what your options are if the animal is actually attacking.

See the IC above.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know, I was just curious if Keyser Soze would actually admit that it can actually be legal to shoot a dog.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think I've figured him out. He purposely leaves out key details in order to cause arguments. Kinda like a troll would. Of course, I could be wrong, but he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Are you saying he's this guy?
    iggynormous-dam-troll-police-officer-arresting-smile_160543073692.jpg

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    It all comes down to if you can explain why you were in reasonable fear of serious bodily harm.

If a dog is charging at me & snarling with no obvious fence/tie-out between me & it then I'm not going to wait until I am positive there is no invisible fence. That dog is going down.

Likewise I wouldn't wait around in the same situation if it was a kid who was being charged instead of me, either.

I don't have to wait for the dog to actually attack me anymore than I have to wait for a person to actually shoot or stab me before I use deadly force to stop OR PREVENT the attack.

Unless those who are saying it has to actually be attacking first are saying that animals are more protected by that law than humans are by the other criminal codes? :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interestingly (and somewhat ironically), I had a situation a few weeks ago that reminded me very much of LS's situation.

Basically, we had gone to my in-laws' for dinner, and brought our 15 lb. family lap dog. They live in a residential area, and many of the neighbors are good, law-abiding dog owners. Before we left, I took our dog for a quick walk. When we came out of the house, there were 2 Great Dane-type (can't remember the exact breed - not Rott or Shepherd or anything "usual" like that) dogs in their yard that took immediate notice. They have an "invisible fence," though, and I'd never seen them beyond it.

Anyway, after a couple minutes, 2 of my kids were in the front yard with me, and one of these big dogs came running up out of nowhere. At first, it looked like it was running toward the kids, but when it noticed our little dog, it literally came skidding to a stop, then jumped on my dog. It had her pinned to the driveway with its mouth, and our little dog was yelping like crazy. I tugged the leash to try to get her out, and told the kids to go inside. When tugging on the leash and yelling didn't work, I thought to draw my pistol.

Oh. Wait. My mom-in-law (God bless her) doesn't like guns, so I didn't bring it. I quickly prioritize 2 options: 1) kick it REALLY hard, 2) get my 3-inch lockblade knife and try to use it.

Well, my kick landed in its ribs with enough force to get its attention and knock if off my dog. It looked at me like WTF? and I had my knife out, but not opened. We did a kind of Mexican-standoff walk, with it eye-balling me the whole time. After about a minute, its owners realized something was amiss and started yelling for it to come home, which it did.

My dog was skittish, but basically uninjured.

I've thought alot about what I would've done if I'd been armed. I think I still would've prioritized kick first, escalate from there. (Probably would've skipped the knife, and gone to the gun, though.)

I know 1 thing for certain: if I'd decided to use my pistol, it would've been aimed at the dog.

Just my own experience.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Interestingly (and somewhat ironically), I had a situation a few weeks ago that reminded me very much of LS's situation.

Basically, we had gone to my in-laws' for dinner, and brought our 15 lb. family lap dog. They live in a residential area, and many of the neighbors are good, law-abiding dog owners. Before we left, I took our dog for a quick walk. When we came out of the house, there were 2 Great Dane-type (can't remember the exact breed - not Rott or Shepherd or anything "usual" like that) dogs in their yard that took immediate notice. They have an "invisible fence," though, and I'd never seen them beyond it.

Anyway, after a couple minutes, 2 of my kids were in the front yard with me, and one of these big dogs came running up out of nowhere. At first, it looked like it was running toward the kids, but when it noticed our little dog, it literally came skidding to a stop, then jumped on my dog. It had her pinned to the driveway with its mouth, and our little dog was yelping like crazy. I tugged the leash to try to get her out, and told the kids to go inside. When tugging on the leash and yelling didn't work, I thought to draw my pistol.

Oh. Wait. My mom-in-law (God bless her) doesn't like guns, so I didn't bring it. I quickly prioritize 2 options: 1) kick it REALLY hard, 2) get my 3-inch lockblade knife and try to use it.

Well, my kick landed in its ribs with enough force to get its attention and knock if off my dog. It looked at me like WTF? and I had my knife out, but not opened. We did a kind of Mexican-standoff walk, with it eye-balling me the whole time. After about a minute, its owners realized something was amiss and started yelling for it to come home, which it did.

My dog was skittish, but basically uninjured.

I've thought alot about what I would've done if I'd been armed. I think I still would've prioritized kick first, escalate from there. (Probably would've skipped the knife, and gone to the gun, though.)

I know 1 thing for certain: if I'd decided to use my pistol, it would've been aimed at the dog.

Just my own experience.

My MIL lives in a pretty bad part of town.... thankfully she LOVES the fact that I carry :D so I doubt I'll be in your situation any time soon. Her neighborhood has a lot of pitt's/rott's that we've seen off leash quite a few times.... one of which actually started towards my wife once and halted with a verbal command (Hand was on holstered pistol) by me at a distance of about 20 yards.

It sounds like you followed a solid continuum of force. Personally I would have probably had the blade deployed if that were the only tool I had available at the time but you were lucky enough that the dog dropped the issue and left when his owners called him.

@ OP, I don't suggest carrying OC spray myself, I've seen it cause more issues than help. I worked for years in a position where we would have to enter yards to get to utility locations where we were issued "Halt"...... Lets just say that if there's any wind blowing at all, the dog won't be the only one with the "Spray" on him... not to mention that not all dog's react immediately to the spray.

I've seen dogs take a full 2oz can to the face and still tackle the guy spraying. YMMV:dunno:

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I saw my sister get bitten by stray dog (about a 30lb) mutt and had to see what she had to go through for weeks. So it would be lights out for the dog, if any threat was toward me or any one in danger of attack.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you only carry a gun, you've got some holes in your force continuum.

Pepper spray is great for dogs, and it gives you another option short of deadly force.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Been there. Collarless mutt on the far end of my property. Long story short flashlight and 38 pointed at the face when it started growling. It bit the hand with the flashlight before I put it down, didn't know if it belonged to a neighbor or not. Never heard anything about it from anyone.

Top Bottom