What is some wild vegetation that is safe to eat, locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Feed the nettles to a ruminant beast of some sort. Then devour the beast. Using your digestive tract to convert nettles to energy sounds inefficient to me...

Do hogs eat nettles?

Look for stuff with higher nutritional value if you're scavenging for a meal. You will burn calories while hunting for stuff to eat, make sure what you are collecting is worth the effort.:)

I think it depends if you are looking for calories or overall nutrition. Some analysis of wild edibles compared to food we buy at the store makes me rethink what we are eating. One of the reasons i do some foraging is to add variety and micronutrients to our diet. A lot of the grocery store produce comes repeatedly from the same soil. Although fertilizer and water is added to the soil, it is likely getting depleted of other nutrients. The produce keeps getting larger and has more carbohydrates and calories, but some of it is declining in vitamins.

For example, it is a bit of an irony that we want large, sweet, seedless grapes but then some people pay big $$ for grapeseed oil to regain some of the nutrients they don't have.

As far as digestibility of nettles, I suspect like most greens they are far more digestible when small. They have a lot of protein (compared to most plants) and more vitamins than greens we typically eat (like spinach).

Here is a recipe I have never tried but sounds interesting: Nesto (like Pesto). We can still find some immature nettles even now, that came up in bottomland that was mowed in later summer.

http://keirstenskitchen.com/?s=nettles

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Is be up for a walk, it would be awesome to encourage ppl to bring a phone and take pics of the pointed out edible plants. That way you could carry around a reference with you or just for re-study later.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    score!

I've heard about ground cherries, but never found/noticed any before. Today I happened upon some horse nettle (toxic, somewhat a look-alike to ground cherries, and nasty tasting if you take a bite.... .not that I've ever done that ;) ).

But nearby was a plant that looked like it had tiny tomatillos all over it. After verifying that is indeed the appearance of the ground cherry, I tried a few and picked some more. Just like tomatillos, the ones with the husk turning brown or starting to open at the bottom are at the right stage of ripeness. They are sweet; not exactly like a cherry but very good. This is something you can eat while in the woods or something you can use in recipes.

20141103_143922_resized2.jpg 20141103_170614_resized2.jpg 20141103_170620_resized2.jpg 20141103_170633_resized2.jpg 20141103_170718_resized2.jpg

and one photo of the horsenettle: pretty easy to tell apart once you have seen them both

20141103_143848_resized2.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It may be a good time of year for a plant walk; there are a few edible things out there plus you can ID many plants that had edible parts earlier in the year. I'm no expert, but I keep picking things up. I did see Sam Thayer suggest that you keep plant walks relatively short (like an hour or two) so that everyone actually remembers a few, rather than confuzzling a lot of them.

I wouldn't mind hosting, but it's deer season and I've just had my last day off for a while. I'll see what I can do either soon or in the spring. We live about 35 mi west of Indy.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Morels, shelf fungus, pawpaw, persimmon, mull berry, blackberry, black raspberry, wild ginger, dandelions, wild onions, red bud flowers and young pods, sumac, day lillies, cat tails, chicory, watercress, spring cress, trilliums, chickweed, thistles, skunk cabbage, jack in the pulpit, elder berries, honey locust, black locust flowers, hickory nuts, walnuts, hackberry seed pulp, basswood buds

That being said, all of the above listed are edible, but it is not recommended to do so, unless you know for sure what you are eating (i.e. what part) and how to prepare it. Because some things can kill you if not done right.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Some old timers where telling me today that if you don't want to get posion ivy eat a posion ivy sandwitch. They saw this when they were kids and swore it worked. Now you will never get me to ever in hell try this but was curious if anyone has herd of this. I saw this thread and had to throw this in here.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You want to learn first-hand? Bring me some ammo and I will take you on a hike through our local park and show you. I do this for a living in the real world.

This sounds like the guy to do this! As I said, I've picked a few things up but I have as many questions as I do answers so I'd be happy to be a follower on this venture. I'd also still be willing to host, even if someone else leads. We have a wooded/mixed property with a lot of "edge" and "invasive" plants, which is sometimes where you find a nice mix of plant life including edibles.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't forget Queen Anne's Lace. It's just wild carrots. ;-)

queen-annes-lace.jpg

0111.jpeg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Unless it does not have a hairy green stem or does not smell like carrots. Then its hemlock. Be sure on this one.
    Yep.
    Wild carrot has green stems with little green hairs. The stems are entirely green, with no other discoloration.
    Hemlock has smooth stems, and the lower portion of the stem will be streaked with red or purple spots and lines.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    After being away from INGO for a few days I somehow missed this thread. The official list for wild edibles in Indiana would be too extensive, as would a comprehensive explanation of preparation of the various plants and their parts. For some really common, easily identifiable plants I will give a short overview of edible parts and preparation.

Dandelion- Young leaves, eaten raw in a salad or boiled for 5-10 minutes and served with butter. Flowerbuds, boiled 5-10 minutes and served with butter, rolled in batter and fried. Flowers, rolled in batter and fried, raw for salads. Root, dried, roasted/unroasted, used for coffee or mixed with coffee, or mixed with roasted acorns and roasted chicory root. Root during spring chopped and added to salads.

Redbud- Flowerbuds and flowers, can be eaten in salads, sautéed in butter, or boiled for 5-10 minutes. Tender young pods, sautéed in butter or boiled for 5-10 min.

Plantain- tender young leaves can be added to salads, made into tea.

Trilliums-Tender young leaves can be added to salads.

Greenbriers, like catbriar, bullbriar, - Tender young shoots, leaves and tendrils can be eaten raw, or sautéed in butter, or fried in batter. The rootstock can be washed crushed and dried similar to cattails, and will yield a gelatin substitute that can be used for jams, jellies, soup thickener, diluted to make a drink.

Cattails- White core of tender shoots can be eaten raw or cooked like asparagus. Immature flower spikes can be boiled and eaten like corn on the cob. After the flowers mature and pollen is released you can gather the pollen and dry and sift, and use as a flour substitute or mix with other flours. The rootstock can be peeled, washed, crushed, sifted a couple times then dried to produce flour as well.

Sassafras- Root, bark, and leaves can all be made into tea. The leaves also make an acceptable seasoning or an okralike thickener and are traditionally used in Cajun cooking for Gumbo File.

Spicebush- Bark, twigs and leaves can be made into tea, the berries can be dried and ground for an allspice substitute.

Jack in the pulpit- Corm thinly sliced and thoroughly dried can be eaten like potato chips, or ground into flour.

Nettles, wood and stinging- Young shoots and leaves can be boiled for 10-15 minutes, or made into tea.

Acorns- Stripped nuts, crushed washed, then either boiled in multiple changes of water until water is clear, or soaking in a clean running stream for a few days up to a week or so. Then dry, and roast, eat or make candy, or thoroughly dry and ground into flour.

Milkweed- Young shoots, leaves, flower buds can be boiled in several changes of water and then served with butter or added to soups. The flowers can be dipped in boiling water then dipped in batter and made to fritters.

Of course that's just a small list, and with that comes positively identifying them, finding them, harvesting them responsibly, preparing them properly, collecting the right part in the right season, and knowing how to not only minimize impact but make sure there is more for next year.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Some old timers where telling me today that if you don't want to get posion ivy eat a posion ivy sandwitch. They saw this when they were kids and swore it worked. Now you will never get me to ever in hell try this but was curious if anyone has herd of this. I saw this thread and had to throw this in here.

Or, keep some jewelweed on hand it's great for relieving poison Ivy.

Top Bottom