What is the *real* appeal of supressors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe your memory isn't as good as mine. I do remember using the term entitlement crowd and you went straight to accusing me of profiling minorities. So no I'm not joking. It was of poor taste.

As far as the snowflake comment, I will just consider the source.

Oh, I found it. Did you leave anything out?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If I thought it would make difference I would look it up but your skepticism proves it isn't worth my time.

I found it, I completely standby the statement you're referencing, and note what you "focused" on from that post. I think everybody here would agree with what I listed as being thought of, when people say "entitlement crowd." Don't paint it as being a sole racial issue.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    INGO needs a PIT thread where you guys can take this bull**** and get it out of the shooting threads. Serious or not, joking or not, it gets old trying to sift through all the crap. Guess I'll read about suppressors some other place.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I apologize guys. Back on subject. I love the good boom of unsuppressed, but golly, suppressors make things a tad more plesent. I need them for 22s and clones. I would expect prices and demand on lathes to go up as well

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How about when something goes bump in the night and you have to defend yourself in a confined area in your home? With your family nearby?

/thread/

That would depend, are we talking a handgun or a rifle? I'd forego the suppressor on a rifle (in combined spaces) because of clearing doors and corners, pistols not so much. The main appeal for suppressors outside of protecting your hearing (not needing muffs), would be if used in an offensive fashion.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just got my Rugged Surge out of jail. I'm putting it on my 8 yr old grandsons 300 BO.

He is really excited to shoot hogs with it. The gun would be too loud for him without it, so I'm very thankful for it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Three reports on this? If you guys can't figure this out, I'm not closing this thread, but will simply remove you from INGO for a while. Starting right now.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't overlook the effect of a suppressor on muzzle flash as well as decibel level. I want to be able to see as well as hear in a dark-environment defensive situation. Think home defense, folks... We should not have to pay a tax and wait months to enjoy the benefits.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Don't overlook the effect of a suppressor on muzzle flash as well as decibel level. I want to be able to see as well as hear in a dark-environment defensive situation. Think home defense, folks... We should not have to pay a tax and wait months to enjoy the benefits.

I think in all likelihood, decibel noise won't be that big an issue given how "amped up" you be. What's your preference in a HD situation, confront the threat, or have them leave without harming anyone? That would dictate your actions. If I was intent on killing the intruder, sure suppress your firearm, and keep the lights off. BUT if I'm in a home where loved ones are present, I want to be as loud as I can (with the firearm), and as visible (turning on lights), to encourage the intruders to reconsider pressing forwards and to alert neighbors or passerby.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    If suppressors were suddenly removed from the NFA list, would they still be as popular?
    I get the feeling that much of the appeal of suppressors is that the government says you shouldn't have them. Yes, they do reduce Db levels, but they also reduce the performance of the firearm (or so I have been told). They are kind of clunky (especially on pistols) and are highly over priced. I can buy a pretty nice rifle/pistol for the cost of a suppressor.

So what exactly is the appeal (aside from the fact that the government says that they are evil)?

On a side note, what if the Democrats introduced a bill that ALL firearms had to be equipped with suppressors that reduced the Db level to some ridiculas degree? (It is for the children!).

I almost wish that I was a newbie trying to get the to magical 25 post thingie so I could make use of the classifieds! I think this might do it. :-)

You were told by whom that cans inhibit performance? Because I've seen a ton of them on modern military sniper rifles.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    For people who claim you probably won’t even hear the shot in a home-defense scenario – let me say you are completely right. The human brain is amazing at tuning things out when the danger level increases, which is why we can end up with tunnel vision in high-stress situations.

On a similar note, it is well known that soldiers can sustain serious injuries in battle without even realizing it; but, that doesn’t change the fact that the injury occurred. To be clear, damage to your hearing will occur whether your brain registers the shot or not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom