What is the *real* appeal of supressors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If HPA passes, the cost of supressors will go down. Drastically so.

New Zealand Silencers: Cheap and Unregulated - The Truth About Guns

Well, that's another reason I don't own any suppressors. I have a hard time justifying anywhere from $300-$1000+ for some easily manufactured and assembled parts. Reminds me of that stupid "modern" dining table my wife bought. Now, I do like the modern look, but you buy modern furniture and you end up paying way more for the look than the quality of parts and assembly. That table is a piece of **** that should only have cost $150. I'm too embarrassed to admit what we paid for it. I chalk it up to lesson learned.

Same thing with suppressers in a way. You're paying a premium way beyond the tax for the novelty of privilege. **** that. That price isn't reasonable for the assembly of parts. Shooting suppressed just isn't worth that to me.

But if they're taken off of NFA, once that novelty goes away and just anyone can have one, it's perceived value will drop like a used rubber. I doubt we'll pay as little as $.65 for a suppressor, but I'll bet we'll see a lot more guns with integrated suppressors on the market, and without a very large markup for it.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well, that's another reason I don't own any suppressors. I have a hard time justifying anywhere from $300-$1000+ for some easily manufactured and assembled parts. Reminds me of that stupid "modern" dining table my wife bought. Now, I do like the modern look, but you buy modern furniture and you end up paying way more for the look than the quality of parts and assembly. That table is a piece of **** that should only have cost $150. I'm too embarrassed to admit what we paid for it. I chalk it up to lesson learned.

Same thing with suppressers in a way. You're paying a premium way beyond the tax for the novelty of privilege. **** that. That price isn't reasonable for the assembly of parts. Shooting suppressed just isn't worth that to me.

But if they're taken off of NFA, once that novelty goes away and just anyone can have one, it's perceived value will drop like a used rubber. I doubt we'll pay as little as $.65 for a suppressor, but I'll bet we'll see a lot more guns with integrated suppressors on the market, and without a very large markup for it.

And those of us with suppressors thank you for not having them, even though you decided to grace us with your "opinion". BTW I doubt a suppressor will ever cost 65 cents but as someone who can can read accurately and comprehend said read material I presume you are attempting to reference the exchange rate between the NZ and US dollar inaccurately. But then I could be wrong as I don't post just for the sake of posting.
    Dan

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And those of us with suppressors thank you for not having them, even though you decided to grace us with your "opinion". BTW I doubt a suppressor will ever cost 65 cents but as someone who can can read accurately and comprehend said read material I presume you are attempting to reference the exchange rate between the NZ and US dollar inaccurately. But then I could be wrong as I don't post just for the sake of posting.
    Dan

Well yeah. I did skim the article and misread that. I thought that seemed really low. Not important enough to check further.

But why the vinegar over an opinion? And how does that impact you such that you should thank me? So. why did you post? Other than the misread, what's the deal? Is there an issue with me thinking suppressors are overpriced? You in the business or something?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Personally, I don't have a problem with you thinking they're over priced, but I think it's only fair for you to admit it's a matter of personal preference. For example, I think Harley Davidson is absolute junk - I can't stand the way they sound. I wouldn't pay $10 for one. If one were given to me, I'd waste no time selling it to the first person to give me an offer. On the other hand, there are people who love them and think they're worth every penny they paid.

To me, suppressors are worth every penny. I don't mind the high prices, and the $200 stamp doesn't bother me. I'm to the point that I don't really care to shoot Unsuppressed, and I don't mind paying for that. The money isn't stopping me from buying more, it's the Damn hoops that I have to jump through.

Perceived value...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Personally, I don't have a problem with you thinking they're over priced, but I think it's only fair for you to admit it's a matter of personal preference. For example, I think Harley Davidson is absolute junk - I can't stand the way they sound. I wouldn't pay $10 for one. If one were given to me, I'd waste no time selling it to the first person to give me an offer. On the other hand, there are people who love them and think they're worth every penny they paid.

To me, suppressors are worth every penny. I don't mind the high prices, and the $200 stamp doesn't bother me. I'm to the point that I don't really care to shoot Unsuppressed, and I don't mind paying for that. The money isn't stopping me from buying more, it's the Damn hoops that I have to jump through.

Perceived value...

Don't be hatin on my ride!

I have 0 NFA items. I want an SBR, or 4, and multiple cans. It is partially the money, but I could cover that, it is the hoops I have to jump through that stops me from owning one at the moment.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Perceived value...

Sure. It's perceived value. I think people thought I was dissing the folks who were willing to shell the money out for it. But no. It's just that I'm not willing to spend that much for one. And there have been times that I've almost pulled the trigger on buying one. But when it comes down to it, I always find something else to do with the money I would have spent on a suppressor.

But the Harley. Really? Dude. Yer gonna start a war. next thing you'll be dissing 1911s and there'll be war 1911s vs Glocks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I wanna post a poll to see if Glock fans are more likely to drive Jap bikes than 1911 fans.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a Harley, a 1911, and an M&P collection. No Glocks here. :yesway:

I can't participate in that poll. I don't have a Harley (though it's on my bucket list). I do have a 1911, M&Ps. Walthers. Rugers. I am Glock free with no current plans to change that. It's not that I'm a hater. I'm just not interested at this time.

I get the bug sometimes for stuff though. I may get the bug for a suppressor that is stronger than my distaste for the price and process. I recently got a SW22 Victory that has a threaded barrel. It keeps nagging me for one but I keep telling it to STFU, I don't wanna spend the money on that.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I can't participate in that poll. I don't have a Harley (though it's on my bucket list). I do have a 1911, M&Ps. Walthers. Rugers. I am Glock free with no current plans to change that. It's not that I'm a hater. I'm just not interested at this time.

I get the bug sometimes for stuff though. I may get the bug for a suppressor that is stronger than my distaste for the price and process. I recently got a SW22 Victory that has a threaded barrel. It keeps nagging me for one but I keep telling it to STFU, I don't wanna spend the money on that.

I want my INGO AR to be a 2 stamp gun. Chop and thread the barrel and put a can on it. That's the dream. Lots of hoops, though.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I want my INGO AR to be a 2 stamp gun. Chop and thread the barrel and put a can on it. That's the dream. Lots of hoops, though.
    If the HPA passes, you could throw a legal, stamp free 5' long can on an 11" long barrel, then pin and weld it and have a zero stamp gun.

'murica

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    They are overpriced if you simply look at the construction. However, gov't regulation is an expense the manufacturer's have to recoup. And as for materials, a good silencer is precision machined from high grade materials. Take the Optimus as an example. The "can" isn't just a pipe. It's machined from high grade stainless steel billet. The machine time alone to make one is pretty extensive. You get a can, 5 normal baffles, a heavy blast baffle, an extension/blast shield, a muzzle break, to end caps, a retaining ring, and a booster assembly. All of which are precision machined so you get to keep your firearm and your face. So, yes, they're expensive, but to say they're overpriced is a bit narrow sighted.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    They are overpriced if you simply look at the construction. However, gov't regulation is an expense the manufacturer's have to recoup. And as for materials, a good silencer is precision machined from high grade materials. Take the Optimus as an example. The "can" isn't just a pipe. It's machined from high grade stainless steel billet. The machine time alone to make one is pretty extensive. You get a can, 5 normal baffles, a heavy blast baffle, an extension/blast shield, a muzzle break, to end caps, a retaining ring, and a booster assembly. All of which are precision machined so you get to keep your firearm and your face. So, yes, they're expensive, but to say they're overpriced is a bit narrow sighted.

I agree. As someone who has brought a metal machined and assembled product from concept to shipping there are a lot of factors normal people don't know or understand. Simple items like R&D, anodizing, packaging and many more. To add the BATFE licensing and other hoops is an added cost I didn't have to deal with but suppressor manufacturers would.
    Dan

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the HPA passes, you could throw a legal, stamp free 5' long can on an 11" long barrel, then pin and weld it and have a zero stamp gun.

'murica

Even better yet, the integrally suppressed, 16.1" barrels will start flowing for virtually every platform.

Top Bottom