What is the *real* appeal of supressors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Even better yet, the integrally suppressed, 16.1" barrels will start flowing for virtually every platform.
    If the HPA passes I might actually bother trying a 300 blackout setup in the future. Everyone says that it works best on a suppressed SBR and I think that 2 $200 stamps, a long waiting period and a $1,000 can makes for a bit less fun.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ooh, can we say that now??

Ooh, looks like we officially can! It's a brand new era! Thanks Trump!

If you have ever been around these cars you would know how terrible they were portrayed.

Yeah, the charger. Why do they always have to crash the old not many left well restored muscle cars. Crash the damn Jap scrapers. They are everywhere.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    They are overpriced if you simply look at the construction. However, gov't regulation is an expense the manufacturer's have to recoup. And as for materials, a good silencer is precision machined from high grade materials. Take the Optimus as an example. The "can" isn't just a pipe. It's machined from high grade stainless steel billet. The machine time alone to make one is pretty extensive. You get a can, 5 normal baffles, a heavy blast baffle, an extension/blast shield, a muzzle break, to end caps, a retaining ring, and a booster assembly. All of which are precision machined so you get to keep your firearm and your face. So, yes, they're expensive, but to say they're overpriced is a bit narrow sighted.

I agree. As someone who has brought a metal machined and assembled product from concept to shipping there are a lot of factors normal people don't know or understand. Simple items like R&D, anodizing, packaging and many more. To add the BATFE licensing and other hoops is an added cost I didn't have to deal with but suppressor manufacturers would.
    Dan

I, for one, get it. The point *I'm* tiring to make is that the fancy steels, excessive engineering for modularity, the tooling time it drives, and yes the NFA overhead are all price drivers that aren't needed. And R&E costs are not currently spread out over high volume production. I'm not saying they are over priced due to what is currently being made and that profit margins are excessive, but that people's needs are overly complicated due to the "one can to rule them all" mentality driving these engineering decisions as well as low production volume keeping R&E costs high per silencer. Decent silencers CAN be made much, much less expensively, IMO.

-rvb

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That's a good point, RVB. The demand for a suppressor that lasts 50k rounds would be much less if you could go to the LGS and walk out the same day with a new one for $250. It would still be there, but the market would be more varied. You could get featureless unsophisticated Hi-point silencers for $150, or whizz bang miracle Wilson Combat silencers for $1,500.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That's a good point, RVB. The demand for a suppressor that lasts 50k rounds would be much less if you could go to the LGS and walk out the same day with a new one for $250. It would still be there, but the market would be more varied. You could get featureless unsophisticated Hi-point silencers for $150, or whizz bang miracle Wilson Combat silencers for $1,500.

Or small 1"DIA by 2" long 2-chamber AR muzzle devices for <$100 that, while not "silent" take some of the violence out of the concussion, especially on SBRs. Imagine very cheap plastic silencers mass produced by 10s of thousands that while only good for a few uses, only cost a few dollars and let low-volume shooters like hunters get in the game...

if de-regulations pass, we'll soon who can think out of the box....

-rvb

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Like my guns, I'll stick with the buy once, cry once philosophy. But I see the market for your idea RVB.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Decent silencers CAN be made much, much less expensively, IMO.

-rvb

I agree. To help prove the point I'll be at Parabellum today at 2 to let a buddy shoot some suppressed guns. One will be a .22 pistol with one of my form 1 cans. This thing is Hollywood quiet with SV rounds. I know shooting suppressed is wasted indoors but he'll get the idea quickly. We'll also be shooting .300blk and 5.56 suppressed SBR's. I doubt we'll be hard to miss.
    Dan

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't even have a suppressor but have seen several "poor man suppressors" that right now still need expensive tax and oppressive regulation. One was a hub that screwed on the barrel and accepted a common automotive oil filter. The first shot made the hole in the end, the rest are now suppressed. Of course the way the law currently reads, those need the tax stamp just the same as a high quality device.

My favorite exposure to suppressors was at a little 100 yard range, and a guy had a suppressed centerfire rifle with subsonic rounds on a bench rest. It was well made, very quiet and seemed to have very little recoil. The funny thing is that his targets were TANNERITE. Pretty noisy targets for a guy that went through all the trouble for a quiet rifle.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The funny thing is that his targets were TANNERITE. Pretty noisy targets for a guy that went through all the trouble for a quiet rifle.

Ive seen folks criticized for stuff like that many times, but remember, silencers can change zero... So unless he knew his dope w.o the can and wanted to adjust the gun, he might as well leave the can on so it hits where he's expecting....

-rvb

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ive seen folks criticized for stuff like that many times, but remember, silencers can change zero... So unless he knew his dope w.o the can and wanted to adjust the gun, he might as well leave the can on so it hits where he's expecting....

-rvb

Not only that, but a loud boom in front of your face is a lot different than a loud boom 50 yards away.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For me, the appeal of a suppressor on an HD AR pistol means potentially the difference between permanent hearing damage and not suffering hearing damage if I have to fire the gun in the house.

Top Bottom