• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Ok, seriously. Do you jut copy and paste this? I have sen this word for word on MULTIPLE threads. :rolleyes:

What??? You mean plagiarism is allowed here?

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Consider the width as well. I think many people have inside-the-wasteband CC comfort issues due to width... the don't account for wider pant size needed, bulge, etc.

The Beretta is a 1.4" width (including safeties)... 1.2" width on the grip to allow for the double stack mag.

Something like the Kahr CM9 is under 1" (listed at 0.9" on grip for a single stack mag).

Granted, the Beretta has twice the rounds, but just another factor of several to consider (weight, rounds, grip length, etc.)

Tapout75

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Bradis has a FN FNP9 on sale for 429.... Anybody have experience with one?

PS. I realize i wanted to go smaller but I thought this was a good deal for the price

Last edited:

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Tiny 9's are a growing market. I've fired many on the same quest you're on and you could probably graph out the comfort & accuracy of firing the pistol against the conceal-ability. Here's my 2 cents on the ones I've fired:

Kel-Tec PF9: Tiny, light, cheap, feels like an M-80 exploding in your palm. Still have it for deep concealment or if I don't want to carry my EDC doing something where it might get dropped/lost/etc.

Taurus 740 Slim: Too much round for such a tiny gun. I'd imagine the 9mm is nice if you can get over the mile-and-a-half of Taurus auto trigger take-up. Less expensive than most others that size.

Taurus PT-111: Not as thin as the Slim models, better grip. Still has lousy Taurus trigger.

Walther PPS: My EDC. Great trigger that gets better after a few hundred rounds. Slim and light but well built. Pricey. Very accurate. Disappears in a Crossbreed Supertuck in shorts and a t-shirt. Ok for ankle carry in dress slacks. NOT a pocket gun.

Kahr PM9: Probably the best of the pocket 9 class I've handled. Nearly the same as the Kel-Tec PM9 in size and weight but in a whole 'nother class of pistol. Smooth trigger and very accurate if you don't mind the recoil of a small gun.

Kahr CW9/P9: This one made me reconsider my PPS. Nearly identical in size, a smidgen lighter than the PPS. Triggers are very different. Kahr is long, heavy-ish, and butter smooth. A year ago I would have hated it but it's growing on me. PPS has short take-up and crisp break (more like a SA 1911). Buying a P9 for my wife. She preferred the CW9 over the PPS, Taurus PT111, and Glock 26. I upgraded to the P9 for ease of upgrading sights, better rifling, and overall better build.

How you plan to CC is important. If you want to put the gun in your pocket the list is much shorter. If IWB is your plan, you can carry just about any 9mm that doesn't weigh your pants down. I've not had to change pant sizes carrying the PPS as some have to with other IWB rigs. Just have to pick a different belt notch.

Optics play a role too. An EDC, IMHO, should tritium sights. If you just want to point the gun and hope for the best, get a .380. One of the advantages of the 9mm over the .380 (9mm short) is accuracy. All of that is lost if you can't see your sights. A thin, easy to carry 9mm with tritium sights makes a decent HD gun if you only keep one gun loaded in the house.

Ammo is also key. There are lots of 9mm loads to choose from. Personally, I want an accurate round. Shot placement is more important to me than bullet weight, velocity, penetration, etc. [Lots of opinions in this department]. See this link for my personal protection ammo tests.

Best of luck chasing down that perfect gun. Worst case scenario: you sell it to another INGOer after you've decided its not for you.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Everyone is different so there is no one single best answer. Also important is a good belt and a quality holster which makes a huge difference.

My EDC is a G27. Just handle as many as you can and go with what feels best to you. There are many great options out there.

A few suggestions to start with:
    G26
    XD9sc
    Ruger sr9c
    Kahr cw9

What is a good place to find a nice leather belt?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    You will probably go though a couple different CC before you find what you like. I personally like to buy guns that I can at least get most of my money back out of them if I wish to sell. I may be mistaken but I don't believe that Taurus holds their value very well.
    I personally just ordered a XDm compact 3.8 .40. I have a XD compact .40 but I don't care for it much. It doesn't fit my hand well and the grips are a little too long to CC. I didn't like the Sub-Compact XD either. The XDm allows you to change the back straps on the grips to get a better fit. The 3.8 has a longer barrel than the sub-compact but has the same length grips as the sub. Plus it feels good to hold. I have a local guy that has great prices so I know that f I don't care for it, i will be able to get most if not all of my money out of it. Plus Springfield is offer 3 free mags and a pouch for new XD and XDm purchases.

If you are looking for a small CC, look at one of the 380's, Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, Diamondback, ect.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What is a good place to find a nice leather belt?

I am not sure in your area, but sometimes gunshops have decent belts that are designed for carrying a handgun. Gunshows sometimes have a vendor or two that carry them as well.

Main thing is good quality leather and a nice width. Don't want a cheapy that will stretch out too fast or sag with the weight of the firearm.

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    What ever you choose for your primary carry weapon, consider a North American Arms Pug in 22 magnum for a back up. They carry quite a punch to be as small as they are. It will drop right in the pocket and you don’t even know it is there.

:rockwoot:

2h5pq4l.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I like the hammer just because i feel like it is an added measure of safety.. And the Bersa i had before had the hammer so i got used to it...I know it makes no sense just how i feel..

The XD9sc at Gander mountain was $549, and i called Bradis they want $509... GM only had a used PX4 and it was $474

There is no right or wrong, if a hammer is what you like, then that's what you like :)

BTW. The XD9sc price I quoted was from Bud's with free shipping. Check out the price of mags for the PX4, if I recall correctly they are pretty pricy, just another thing to consider..

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    I agree with most everything said on this thread. When I go out I choose what to carry based on what I am doing and how I am dressed. I have a SR9C in a high noon IWB and a Bull Cherokee in a Front Line IWB. These work well for colder weather bulk clothes down to shorts and a tee shirt. When I am in formal garb, for me, they seam a tad bulky and weighty. I have been looking for a good "pocket gun" to fit the bill. I'm of a smaller frame and I know it is a very personal choice, but I like the size and feel of the Ruger LCP and the Sig Sauer P238. Both fit the bill size wise. Anyone know of any semi-autos 9MM or other larger than .380 caliber in a gun of this size? Comments, thoughts?
    Thanks, Jeff

Top Bottom