• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was 19 in the Army when I had to do my first tax filing while employed by the federal government. At 19, I thought it made zero sense for the federal government to give me $100 and take back $20 in federal taxes. Wouldn't it have just made more sense to give me $80 and save the resources the government wastes collecting taxes from federal employees?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The W-2 I received last week shows over $11,000 in box 2 (Federal Income Tax Withheld). Maybe that's a charitable donation?

Phylo, you know I have all the respect in the world for you but I have to disagree with you on this one. And please read til the end before you :ar15:me away. :D We understand that they withhold taxes from your check. But your wages are paid by tax dollars from workers in the private sector. Then those tax dollars are withheld from your check to pay your taxes.

If it were up to me, if a cop's salary is $50,000 and he has $10,000 withheld in taxes, I'd rather pay him $45,000 and have zero tax withheld. As a taxpayer, I win in paying less in taxes to pay your salary and you make more money.

It would be interesting to see how much the government spends in administrative costs for every dollar collected in taxes. IE, IRS employees, the admin employees who handled your pay, etc. If the cost of collecting taxes is anything like other government programs like welfare, a huge portion is used up in just administering the program.

This isn't a knock on government employees for earning their living on taxpayer money. There are necessary jobs that can't be handled by the private sector and thus the government must employ people to do those jobs. I, in no way view a LEO as a welfare recipient because he performs a vital role. Now, I'll save the argument of HOW MANY government employees we should have for another day.:D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I get what your trying to say, but the fact is, if your wages come from taxes then you really aren't paying into them, your wages are them minus what they take back. It's similar to "major corporations don't pay taxes, they just pass the expense on to the consumer" logic. Sort of like when union members collect a wage but pay part of it back to the union for getting the wage in the first place. I don't want you to feel as though there's any "bad blood" between us, there isn't. I actually DO respect what LEOs do, and believe it or not, stopped one at random 3 days ago in front of bradis at the speedway and told him "thank you for what you do" and "I understand nobody does this, but...". I feel the same way about the guy that takes care of city vehicles, council members, companies that earn their income from gov contracts, etc....While Technically government employees have taxes deducted from their wages, their wages come from the taxes of those not employed by the government. It is a vicious circle much like the "I do coke so I can work longer so I can make more money so I can do more coke so I can work longer....." circle. I guess it boils down to semantics, but the correlation must be made and realized/understood in order for everyone to be mutually understanding/on the same page. It is not meant to be derogatory when the statement is made, just meant to differentiate.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I get what your trying to say, but the fact is, if your wages come from taxes then you really aren't paying into them, your wages are them minus what they take back. It's similar to "major corporations don't pay taxes, they just pass the expense on to the consumer" logic. Sort of like when union members collect a wage but pay part of it back to the union for getting the wage in the first place. I don't want you to feel as though there's any "bad blood" between us, there isn't. I actually DO respect what LEOs do, and believe it or not, stopped one at random 3 days ago in front of bradis at the speedway and told him "thank you for what you do" and "I understand nobody does this, but...". I feel the same way about the guy that takes care of city vehicles, council members, companies that earn their income from gov contracts, etc....While Technically government employees have taxes deducted from their wages, their wages come from the taxes of those not employed by the government. It is a vicious circle much like the "I do coke so I can work longer so I can make more money so I can do more coke so I can work longer....." circle. I guess it boils down to semantics, but the correlation must be made and realized/understood in order for everyone to be mutually understanding/on the same page. It is not meant to be derogatory when the statement is made, just meant to differentiate.

I respect you for clarifying your point. In most instances, the argument is brought up in an attempt to devalue the opinion of a LEO here on the board.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I respect you for clarifying your point. In most instances, the argument is brought up in an attempt to devalue the opinion of a LEO here on the board.
    Not usually when I make it, but I know what you mean. I hope this helps you understand that there is reason behind MY posts and that they go a bit deeper than the stereotypical "slam" posts. I really do think rather deeply and sometimes have difficulty elaborating/communicating it in text form. Please understand that my text may seem "harsh" at times, and try to look at it from more than one view before judging me. I know we've both agreed and DISAGREED in certain threads, but it is likely more misunderstanding between us rather than anything else. Based on what I've read of your posts, we would get along rather well in person where communication can be taken a few steps further than poorly punctuated text and points more easily elaborated upon.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Man, I know I've said it before, but we went there again today so I must say it again. Value Mart in Mooresville is the BEST place to buy meat. We get bacon (thick cut lean, almost NO fat cooks out) for $2.59 per pound and this week we upped our order to 10 pounds of country sausage at $1.59 per pound ($3.99lb generic at the walmart/kroger). The butcher grinds the beef (and everything else), average price ($1.98lb, $2.39lb Chuck) but WAY higher quality than the chubs from wallyworld.....I cannot plug these guys enough, they are worth the trip even from Bloomington if you buy bulk. They can even get pork bellies and will sell just fat CHEAP if you make your own sausage. A real "hometown" butcher is hard to find these days and that's just what they are.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

I think everyone just wants to brag about a cop being on their payroll :):

I said it on here a long time ago and I will say it again. If it were up to me, you cops would get paid a **** load more money. I think it would also help to ensure that only the top qualified people ever have the honor of wearing a badge.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm not sure if my response here is what inspired this thread or not. If so, I'll attempt to better explain.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ssion/131495-only_in_chicago.html#post1624522

A panel of 8 people decided to let an officer who was sentenced to prison keep his pension. It was said that 4 people on the panel were LEO's. Who were the other 4? County or city employees or were they joe schmoe private sector employees? If we replaced the officers with congressmen, would it seem fair to the citizens at large to have congress deciding on or investigating their own?

The fact that a person draws their paycheck from a government entity does not in any way take away their rights, opinions or whatever on an issue. But we can't block out those who ultimately foot the bill either. If the other 4 on the panel were joe schmoe citizens and they elected to let him keep his opinion, then the people had their voices represented.

Top Bottom