• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I currently have a G17 gen 4. I'd like to get a second hand gun but am undecided what to buy. I'm torn on whether to get another 9mm or a 40 s&w. I used to have a G22 that I really liked and I still have some 40 S&W ammo. I'd like to try something other than a Glock. I really like Glocks but want to try something new. So I guess my criteria are:

-9mm or 40 S&W (is there an advantage to having 2 calibers over 2 of the same caliber)
    -reliable
    -good resale value (in case i decide I don't like it)
    -I would love to have a 22LR conversion option
    -dependable
    -I don't plan to CC this weapon so size isn't of major concern.
    -I'm considering Steel Challenge shooting so it may be used for that.
    -I don't currently reload but am seriously considering it so a fully supported barrel would be good (so as not to "glock" the brass). Also would be nice to be able to use cast bullets but this is a minor considerations.

I would really appreciate any recommendations but also would be interested to know why you recommend it.

Thanks

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Have you taken any training with your 17? Shooting the one you have well will be far more beneficial than having 2 that you shoot just so-so.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    agreed. All my formal training was in the military 20 years ago. But I do have interest in trying something new non the less. I wish there were a good way to "test drive" different guns but I haven't found one yet.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Or at any of the many INGO shooting events. Folks are always letting others share their guns.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think it would be wise to go with another 9mm.

Check out the walther PPQ, I can't say enough good things about it and if you do a little reading I think you'll find that to be the general consensus.

a g19 or g26 would also make a lot of sense, esp if you dont carry anything now. PPS is also a great carry option and another I can highly recommend.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Sig Sauer SP2022 is a great gun and not too expensive. I think it gets passed on by a lot of Sig enthusiasts because it is polymer framed, but they are great. Full size 9mm, but a little smaller than the G17. Great trigger pull, and very accurate. I think I just saw a thread on here about PSA having them for $350. Bradis usually has them for $429 or so. Either way, a great addition to any collection.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Kinda depends on the price range you are thinking. I really love my Hi-power, but I am also pretty fond of my wifes Taurus PT-92. I dont own one, but have drooled over several of the full sized Sigs, and even the S&W M&P. Any of these can be found in 9mm or 40. If you are thinking lower priced, but not cheep, there are a few choices of 1911 in 9mm, Ruger full sized autos, ect.

If you are looking for something less expensive, Hi-points have a pretty good reputation from those that admit to owning one.

Just kinda depends on what you are interested in. Are you looking for a sweet single action trigger, tank-like construction(and weight), polymer frame, steel frame. Lots of really good options that fit your criteria, it would be difficult to pin down just one good choice.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    2nd gun huh!! :D

1) Maybe a Glock 26 to go along with your G17. Something easier to carry if you so desire.

or

2) Buy a .22LR rimfire in your choice of flavors. Cheap to shoot and a lot of cool choices out there. Beside the conversions cost almost as much as the whole gun.

You can always sell the extra .40 ammo that you have or trade it for some 9mm. I prefer to stay with one cartridge to make purchasing ammo easier. But I can see the logic in having two guns that shoot something different.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    CZ-75??

I haven't seen it yet-Another option in 9MM or .40 S&W.
    The CZ-75B in a 9MM should fit most of the criteria that you listed.
    I have two 75B's and a P0-1 and really like them all..Bill.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I purchased my G17 in 1988, and I still have it. 40K rounds through this gun with no problems. I replaced the trigger housing, trigger, recoil spring and other small parts last Summer. Not because these parts were broke, but 'cause it was Glock's 25th US Anniversary and I wanted to do something special for this special gun. (My 1st autoloading centerfire pistol). And I purchased a G19 Gen 3 last year, so now I have a pair of 9mms.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    To me, the match of calibers and potential ammo makes another 9 MM a particular attractive option. If you are like me, you like to have some ammo on hand for just that time when you NEED to have it on hand. Holding 1000 rounds of this and a 1000 rounds of that means that some of it is likely going to sit a while, unless you keep in a solid regimen of shooting a great deal, and keep your ammo stocks rotated for age. To me, it's a better option to buy a second 9 MM, and for this, with your apparent appreciation of Glocks, I would recommend a Glock 26. It also makes a tremendous Conceal/Carry weapon, and has enough other things (especially mags, which are not cheap) in common with the 19 that you can share them. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong....

Top Bottom