• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    Kinda depends on the price range you are thinking. I really love my Hi-power, but I am also pretty fond of my wifes Taurus PT-92. I dont own one, but have drooled over several of the full sized Sigs, and even the S&W M&P. Any of these can be found in 9mm or 40. If you are thinking lower priced, but not cheep, there are a few choices of 1911 in 9mm, Ruger full sized autos, ect.

If you are looking for something less expensive, Hi-points have a pretty good reputation from those that admit to owning one.

Just kinda depends on what you are interested in. Are you looking for a sweet single action trigger, tank-like construction(and weight), polymer frame, steel frame. Lots of really good options that fit your criteria, it would be difficult to pin down just one good choice.

Price is secondary. Of course less is always nice but I'm not opposed to paying more for a gun that is worth it.

I do prefer single action trigger but that only because the only gun I've owned with a double action was a 357 revolver. No experience with double action semi-auto's.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    To me, the match of calibers and potential ammo makes another 9 MM a particular attractive option. If you are like me, you like to have some ammo on hand for just that time when you NEED to have it on hand. Holding 1000 rounds of this and a 1000 rounds of that means that some of it is likely going to sit a while, unless you keep in a solid regimen of shooting a great deal, and keep your ammo stocks rotated for age. To me, it's a better option to buy a second 9 MM, and for this, with your apparent appreciation of Glocks, I would recommend a Glock 26. It also makes a tremendous Conceal/Carry weapon, and has enough other things (especially mags, which are not cheap) in common with the 19 that you can share them. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong....

I agree with your logic regarding keeping 1 common type ammo. I haven't heard a good reason to have 2 different calibers so I'm leaning toward another 9mm. I hadn't thought about sharing mags (duh) I guess because I was focusing on trying something other than a glock. That's a good point.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I like my g19 a lot.

I also like my government and commander 1911s.

Why not get a long rifle?

I have several rifles already. They got more use when I lived in Michigan and could hunt deer with them. My 17hmr sees the range almost weekly but the 30-30, 30-06, and 308 don't get much use. Maybe if I start reloading I'll shoot them more but for now it's a bit expensive for large caliber rifle ammo. If I did buy another rifle it would probably be somthing in .223 but that's for another day :cool:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    2nd gun huh!! :D

1) Maybe a Glock 26 to go along with your G17. Something easier to carry if you so desire.

or

2) Buy a .22LR rimfire in your choice of flavors. Cheap to shoot and a lot of cool choices out there. Beside the conversions cost almost as much as the whole gun.

You can always sell the extra .40 ammo that you have or trade it for some 9mm. I prefer to stay with one cartridge to make purchasing ammo easier. But I can see the logic in having two guns that shoot something different.

I purchased my G17 in 1988, and I still have it. 40K rounds through this gun with no problems. I replaced the trigger housing, trigger, recoil spring and other small parts last Summer. Not because these parts were broke, but 'cause it was Glock's 25th US Anniversary and I wanted to do something special for this special gun. (My 1st autoloading centerfire pistol). And I purchased a G19 Gen 3 last year, so now I have a pair of 9mms.

To me, the match of calibers and potential ammo makes another 9 MM a particular attractive option. If you are like me, you like to have some ammo on hand for just that time when you NEED to have it on hand. Holding 1000 rounds of this and a 1000 rounds of that means that some of it is likely going to sit a while, unless you keep in a solid regimen of shooting a great deal, and keep your ammo stocks rotated for age. To me, it's a better option to buy a second 9 MM, and for this, with your apparent appreciation of Glocks, I would recommend a Glock 26. It also makes a tremendous Conceal/Carry weapon, and has enough other things (especially mags, which are not cheap) in common with the 19 that you can share them. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong....

Find a gun you like and buy multiple copies.

Get to school.

I see the wisdom in each of these comments and second them.

Depending on what you want to do with the gun, it makes a lot of sense to keep with the same platform for training/muscle memory standpoint, and even better if you can exchange magazines/holsters, etc.

I have started to consolidate down to 1 system (have been a Glock guy for a long time), and more lately down to same caliber (in my case .40, but 9mm is an equally good pick), exchangeable magazines (I have a 27 and now a 23, previously had a 21 and still have a 30 as well), and the use of conversion kits (I have an AA kit for the 27, and am looking to pick one up for the 23) to allow cheap shooting/practice with the same trigger, etc.

I would look at either a Glock 19 or a 26 if I were you, given that you have a Glock 17.

Now, if you were looking to move away from Glock and possibly pick up another platform instead, the M&P c's had caught my eye, but I recently opted to go with another Glock for the reasons stated above.

Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I see the wisdom in each of these comments and second them.

Depending on what you want to do with the gun, it makes a lot of sense to keep with the same platform for training/muscle memory standpoint, and even better if you can exchange magazines/holsters, etc.

I have started to consolidate down to 1 system (have been a Glock guy for a long time), and more lately down to same caliber (in my case .40, but 9mm is an equally good pick), exchangeable magazines (I have a 27 and now a 23, previously had a 21 and still have a 30 as well), and the use of conversion kits (I have an AA kit for the 27, and am looking to pick one up for the 23) to allow cheap shooting/practice with the same trigger, etc.

I would look at either a Glock 19 or a 26 if I were you, given that you have a Glock 17.

Now, if you were looking to move away from Glock and possibly pick up another platform instead, the M&P c's had caught my eye, but I recently opted to go with another Glock for the reasons stated above.

As much as I would like to try something different I'm leaning toward your advice. However, my thought process for buying a new gun was to gain experience with something other than a Glock. So if I am persuaded that it isn't worth it to do that then maybe I don't buy a second gun. I will probably still keep an eye out for a good 22 for fun. I would like to get the AA conversion for my G17 but they are back ordered for 12-24 months so that is a ways off.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Chime in if you have an opinion.

awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Id look at the FNH FNS it has an awesome trigger and FNH builds excellent weapons. Also the price isnt too bad.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Here are my nubbish suggestions,

Steyer m9 love the triangular sights!! Can getem for 350+ not many goodies for em though...
    Fnp 9 a little more $$ from fnh what a smooth accurate and solid pistol here rather bulky for mehh,,
    Xd. 9 i love the compact size. Small and a good conceallable firearm.
    :n00b:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Price is secondary. Of course less is always nice but I'm not opposed to paying more for a gun that is worth it.

I do prefer single action trigger but that only because the only gun I've owned with a double action was a 357 revolver. No experience with double action semi-auto's.

If price is secondary, but lower would be nice, along with a single action trigger, RIA sells a 1911 in 9mm that is pretty nice, and under $400 new. For a 9mm, they are a bit heavy, but that only makes them easier to shoot. If the low capacity makes you unhappy, i have seen high cap 1911s in 9mm as well, though I have no first hand experience with those. If you shop around, a nice used Hi-power would be a good choice as well, thats what I ended up going with when I was shopping around for a 9mm 1911 to lower my ammo costs.

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    you can get an xd in 9 or 40 for $399 at some places and I've seen people list them here for 450 with no extras. Worse case, you get one don't like it, and trade for a glock with no additional out of pocket expense.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I agree with your logic regarding keeping 1 common type ammo. I haven't heard a good reason to have 2 different calibers so I'm leaning toward another 9mm. I hadn't thought about sharing mags (duh) I guess because I was focusing on trying something other than a glock. That's a good point.
    Glad I could be of help. I am going the opposite direction right now. I own a Glock 26 and am going to buy a Glock 19 with my next purchase (unless a Makarov IJ-70 17a (.380 Makarov) pops up in outstanding condition.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I think it is excellent that the OP is getting such great information. This is exactly why I joined the group, and think it is a great thing that so many can share ideas in a friendly manner!

Top Bottom