• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've heard from a semi reliable source that glock will not be producing any new models in 40 caliber. Before someone takes that out of context they will still be producing the ones in the current line up just not a new model.

No offense......but if you have a source who would know that wouldn't they also know what new things are coming?

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I'd like the gen5. I hate the finger groves

whatever the next GLOCK is I know it will work and every other manufacturer will copy it like they already did. CZ, Ruger, S&W, Remington, HK, ect

I doubt anyone will want to copy a gun where the slide comes off when drawn from its holster!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    haha

It just seems like everyone is trying to say 40 s&w if going away and I can't see it happening.
    It will never go away. But the popularity is dying.

I was told the reason for glock not making any new models of 40 was because somewhere in the 90% range (it's been a few years) the guns sent in for repair were all 40's due to the pressure of the round. If you really think about it. Glock will not tell many people about the future of different models because how many people would have bought a 42 had they known the 43 was coming?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It will never go away. But the popularity is dying.

I was told the reason for glock not making any new models of 40 was because somewhere in the 90% range (it's been a few years) the guns sent in for repair were all 40's due to the pressure of the round. If you really think about it. Glock will not tell many people about the future of different models because how many people would have bought a 42 had they known the 43 was coming?

I just completed a Glock Armorers course last summer and the Glock folks (From Glock it's self) covered the 40. The biggest detriment to the 40 is people either try and handload the same case over way to many (the buldge has to be resized and you can only do that so many time especially with a high pressures round) and more often people don't change out the recoil springs to manufacture specs and they get battered to death.

Glock isn't alone not sure of to many companies putting out new 40 models. A couple like the CZ P10 but that's not really a big change or like the early 1990's. 40 will be popular just newness is not there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    753f1597e8833719140abff7bf5d59e8.jpg

At least it has straight slide serrations.

I'd like the gen5. I hate the finger groves

whatever the next GLOCK is I know it will work and every other manufacturer will copy it like they already did. CZ, Ruger, S&W, Remington, HK, ect

Glock needs to do something other than just changing grip textures and finger grooves. They've been playing the same song for decades now and it's getting a bit old. A better out of the box trigger would be nice, but a carbine would be nicer.

I don't see GLOCK making a 1911 because it's outdated.

Glocks are no spring chickens either. Pretty soon, they'll be sitting along side the 1911 as two 20th century designs that everyone wonders why anyone likes those old outdated things.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Only thing Glock needs to do is put a back strap safety on the damn things. It's so easy and it wouldn't be that difficult and would only have the problem of people not being able to shoot themselves in the leg as often.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Only thing Glock needs to do is put a back strap safety on the damn things. It's so easy and it wouldn't be that difficult and would only have the problem of people not being able to shoot themselves in the leg as often.
    Why fix a software problem with hardware?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Springfield XD Forum

There you go! LOL

The stories of people shooting themselves in the leg with Glocks is very exaggerated. As a LE Trainer there was a few people that suffers "Glock Leg" or COP Leg" when larger agencies transitioned from a DA/SA or revolver to Glock but it really wasn't any worse than any other training cycle. I've seed a SIG with a DAK trigger go off as well as a Beretta 92D DAO with jacked strings with the little plastic fastiner get caught and the heavy trigger on those were suppose to be oh so much safer.

Fact of the matter, civilian, LEO or Military people are people and you leave them all in a room by themselves with an anvil and a sponge in five minutes a few will have broke the anvil.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Everybody has caught up and some have surpassed Glock.

They NEED to be working on the next DESIGN of the pistol.

Not just incremental or cosmetic changes.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    The stories of people shooting themselves in the leg with Glocks is very exaggerated.
    I've seen Glocks equated with DA revolvers in that there's always a round in the chamber and all you have to do to make the gun go "bang" is pull the trigger. Which leads me to a question: LEOs carried DA revolvers for years, right? How many cops shot themselves in the leg with their revolvers?

As for Glock's future, as long as Glock feels that they have the majority of the world-wide market, as long as they can still land big military and LE contracts (yes, I know, they didn't get the U.S. Army contract), as long as they feel they have a superior product to the competition, then why change? And, even if they wanted to change, what would they change? Other than incremental improvements to the trigger or grip, what functional change do they need to make to remain competitive? Note that there's a difference between what you need in a firearm vs. what you want.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have carried and competed with Glocks since the early 90's, always kept my finger off the bang switch when drawing ond/or reholstering and never once shot myself in the leg. With all the supposed instances of Glock-Leg out there, you'da thought I would have done it by now.
    You can't fix stupid though. No matter how many safties you pile on a gun, some idiot will shoot himself by accident.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Everybody has caught up and some have surpassed Glock.

They NEED to be working on the next DESIGN of the pistol.

Not just incremental or cosmetic changes.

The design of the 1911 has not changed very much in over 100 years, and it is still a great gun. Why should Glock change?
    They sell thousands of new pistols each time the introduce another caliber into an existing gun. If sales dropped off drastically, I can see them designing something new, but for now, there is no real reason. The vast majority of police departments carry Glocks, there are even more Glocks being carried by civilians.
    Sure, there are guns out there that people feel are better than Glock, and some may actually be, but popularity will always side with Glock for the foreseeable future.
    Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    You can't fix stupid though. No matter how many safties you pile on a gun, some idiot will shoot himself by accident.[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTE FACT, NO ONE not even GOD has been able to cure human stupidity. Who people first elect then REPEATEDLY re-elect to public office is irrefutable truth of that fact.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Except for capacity, how else is a present day manufactured 1911 outdated?

Outdated or not, I shot my buddies Colt 1911 that was made in 1918 and I shot that gun better than I shot my Glock 21. That said, I still carry my Glocks, but there is something to be said for a 106 year old design that is still being manufactured by so many companies and, modern metals and manufacturing processes aside, is essentially the same as it was when John Browning made it. The 1911 will continue to thrive as well as the Glock and CZ-75 because companies will continue to copy the designs and try to make them better.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The design of the 1911 has not changed very much in over 100 years, and it is still a great gun. Why should Glock change?
    They sell thousands of new pistols each time the introduce another caliber into an existing gun. If sales dropped off drastically, I can see them designing something new, but for now, there is no real reason. The vast majority of police departments carry Glocks, there are even more Glocks being carried by civilians.
    Sure, there are guns out there that people feel are better than Glock, and some may actually be, but popularity will always side with Glock for the foreseeable future.
    Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Don't know how to get the data but...

If you could compare civilian pistol market share over the last thirty years, I think you'd see an alarming trend.

If you could compare civilian striker fired polymer pistol market share over the same period, I think it would be even more alarming.

It would concern me if I was a stake-holder in Glock.

Now this is not the end of Glock. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Top Bottom