• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    They already have a single stack .45, the G36. I've been wanting that platform in 10mm for years.

Me, too SBS, but the G36 is famously finicky and not nearly as reliable as other Glocks. It's just different enough to not have the boring reliability of the other models. That, imo, defeats a lot of the Glock proposition.

Now, if someone would make a Commander-sized 1911 in 10mm at a reasonable price....

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Gen5/FBI models and government contracts are probably what Glock is focused on right now.

Would be nice to see a G19 sized single stack 9mm/.40 cal.
    I would also like to see some hybrid guns like G17's with a G19 frame or something like that.
    Maybe a modular design where you could have combos of different size frames, slides, and calibers that are all factory approved & tested to work together - kind of like what SIG did, but better.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The only one I do not have that I want is a G-21, maybe someday.
    My brother in Detroit is wanting to return two .40 Glocks he "Borrowed" from me, and an extra 9mm.
    My Glock cup runeth over.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I don't think you will see too many "new" Glocks in the near future. The G40, 41,42, and 43 is prolly it for awhile, unless they roll out a SS .40, which, in the current market state, I think would be unlikely. A SS 10mm would be cool though.
    As IndyGlockMan says, Glock is gonna concentrate in the M models and get them right, then roll them out to the masses as the next big thing.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Don't know how to get the data but...

If you could compare civilian pistol market share over the last thirty years, I think you'd see an alarming trend.

If you could compare civilian striker fired polymer pistol market share over the same period, I think it would be even more alarming.

It would concern me if I was a stake-holder in Glock.

Now this is not the end of Glock. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

30 years ago, it was Glock 17 and HK VP70, which predated the Glock by a decade. That was pretty much it for polymer, striker fired pistols until the Colt 2000 was introduced in the early 90's. So yes, what you are saying is true, but there are lots more polymer striker fired pistols from various manufacturers today. We are also in the hey day of handguns. There are simply many more choices available now than there were 30, 20 or even 10 years ago. So yes, what you say is true, but for those reasons. Additionally, there are vastly more people now buying pistols now than ever before, and alot will buy pistols or revolvers that are not Glocks because they are too expensive for them, or listened to someone who did not recommend them to Glock, or picked up XYZ pistol out of the case first because that is what the all knowing LGS clerk recommended. Trends will always reflect what you say, but because of these reasons.
    If I was a stock holder in Glock, I would not be worried, the vast majority of the striker fired guns being introduced now are that manufacturers version of a Glock. Yes, in some cases the ergos are better, some are more accurate, and some are cheaper, but I contend that you will not find another pistol at Glock's price point that will stand up to the abuse that it was designed to take and still be able to work on it with just a 3/16's punch. It was designed as a military weapon first, with simplicity and easy manual of arms, so a soldier could better maintain it under battlefield conditions. Then it was brought to the civilian market and became the popular pistol we see today.
    Glock is the 1911 of the polymer, striker fired pistol market. They will be here for decades to come, long after alot of the competitors have closed up shop, because of one thing, they work and they work well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't see Glock leaving the scene any time soon. For one, the margins on selling a pistol that costs ~ $100 to make for $500+ are far too favorable to undo very soon. Glock is now practically an American institution. It has transcended whether it's the "best" or whatever-- it's a GLOCK, and merely being GLOCK is sufficient. Glock can lose the next 100 LEO or MIL contracts and will still be around doing just fine. Something so established in America does not get un-established with any speed or ease.

It's a generational thing. The current young generation is growing up with LOTS of great polymer striker options on the market, while many of us saw for decades GLOCK and then everyone else's pathetic attempt to surpass.

There are guns now that might be superior striker guns-- P320 perhaps, P10C perhaps-- on the merits. But that "superior" will take decades to recognize if it even exists. Will the pistols last long enough to get their due?

Glock has nothing to worry about. If they just slightly improve the grip ergonomics, they are close enough to the would-be challengers to the Glock throne that advantage of being GLOCK will offset any small shortcoming it has relative to competitors.

If someone wants to dethrone glock, they can't just make a pistol that's as good for a comparable price. They have to make a BETTER (probably substantially better) product and sell it for MUCH less. And even if this occurs, it will take so long to occur that it works against the challengers.

The military contract for P320 is a huge boost to Sig. But just as 92F accessories are not in every LGS (but Glocks accessories are), the contract will not make the 320 have GLOCK stature in the market.

GLOCK is an industry standard now, just like a STOR port o-ring or NPT threads or UNC and UNF threads. Glock created much of the aftermarket, and now the aftermarket creates GLOCK.

The decision to make the P10C work with all Glock holsters was BRILLIANT by CZ's part.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Without getting too tangential to this thread...You think Kodak is gone? Think again.

Kodak has all but disappeared from the consumer and photojournalist photographic film market because consumers and photojournalists have all but abandoned photographic film in favor of digital photography. RIP Kodachrome though you can still buy the venerable Tri-X and Ektachrome may be coming back. Meanwhile, Kodak still produces motion picture film because some motion pictures, though not all, are still captured on film. Kodak is also very involved in the large-scale digital printer and industrial imaging markets.

Frankly, I don't see consumers abandoning striker-fired handguns in the same way that they abandoned film cameras. As long as Glock remains active and relevant in that market, I don't think they are likely to become "un-established"...at least, not in my lifetime.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Only thing Glock needs to do is put a back strap safety on the damn things. It's so easy and it wouldn't be that difficult and would only have the problem of people not being able to shoot themselves in the leg as often.

No.

Google "Tex Grebner" and tell me about "safe" 1911s.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Gen5/FBI models and government contracts are probably what Glock is focused on right now.

Would be nice to see a G19 sized single stack 9mm/.40 cal.
    I would also like to see some hybrid guns like G17's with a G19 frame or something like that.
    Maybe a modular design where you could have combos of different size frames, slides, and calibers that are all factory approved & tested to work together - kind of like what SIG did, but better.

While I probably wouldn't be in the market for a 19 sized single stack I do like the idea. Im pretty happy with my glock collection. Sometimes I debate on getting into other calibers like 20/21/29/30

Top Bottom