what would you prefer as carry gun?? 9mm or 45?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    John, Have you ever carried a 1911 .45 for any length of time? or have you ever seen a man shot with a 9mm or a .45?

Ya know why there are more bullets in a 9mm pistol than in a .45?
    Cuz yur gonna need em.

I carry a .45 cuz they don't make a .46 ....... for over 30 years.

I was just choosing between his two options. If I had to have a .45 then it would be a G30 without a doubt. I do not carry a 9mm. myself, but I would have no problem trusting it.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I was just choosing between his two options. If I had to have a .45 then it would be a G30 without a doubt. I do not carry a 9mm. myself, but I would have no problem trusting it.

Understood. I'm old school. Never have gotten on the 9mm band wagon. I'm still pissed the army switched (and most of the SF is too).

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My personal favorite is the .45. I own a government and officer size model, and tend to favor the government for carry. I also have a Glock 26 and a Smith 442 that I carry from time to time. That said, if you are limited to one or the other, I would go with what you are most comfortable with.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why decide one over the other?

Because switching between guns with vastly different manuals of arms like that can be dangerous.

Between the two I'd go Glock 19. More rounds in the gun, lightweight, less expensive in case of loss/theft/confiscation, and a simpler manual of arms which leads to simpler training.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Personally, I like the 1911 better. The glocks I've held and shot felt way to fat for my liking, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 1911 is the most ergonomic gun ever made. Also, I like the external safety, but I'm in the minority on that one. That being said, it's up to you. The down side to a 1911 is higher ammo cost, lower capacity, heavier weight, and you'll want to spend more time maintaining them. Whatever you're more comfortable with is the one you should go with.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Of the two choices listed, I'd go with the G19. Not because I favor the 9mm round (though, it is sufficient), but because the Glock is such a robust firearm, 9mm is less expensive, and the recoil of the 9mm is somewhat more manageable. Notwithstanding, all those points can be overcome with money, time, and training.

FWIW, if someone asked what I'd recommend for their first semi-auto pistol and they had no idea what to get, the G19 would be on the top of my list to consider.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    I EDC a G19 and my shtf has a G17 with NS, light, and a growing number of mags (I think 9x17rd at this point)....
    and I maintain 800 to 1000 rounds of Federal HST 124gr +P for my 9mm firearms. I can arm myself and 3 others right now with a good 9mm handgun and ammo....
    and of course CQB my 44s would arm 3 others.....
    and for quiet zombie protection I could equip 4 more with 22s.....
    and as for rifles..... well, you see where it is going....

Last edited:

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    and thats another thing im kinda partial to the hammer. glock dont have one and that kinda bugs me when carrying one in chamber. i know glock has a 3 point saftey design but it still feels ify to me? im a small built guy and i know i want something that is very comfortable in the hands. ive never held a citadel compact but from what i hear they are shorter and thinner? one good thing with the glock to me is that there are a bunch of acc for it like sights, flashlights etc.. and with the citadel compact i havent found anything for replacement sights at all. i hear they are differnet size and it takes some file work??

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    this may be a dumb question, but has the OP fired the Citadel .45 yet? Caliber of weapon makes very little difference if the shooter can't hit what he's aiming at. I also change calibers according to season, Glock 19 in the warm months and 10mm in the colder months to improve penetration with extra clothes, heavy coats, etc. To the OP, we can't decide what's right for you, but there is a very big difference between the two guns you are considering. If you shoot the Glock 19 well, and SHOULD be familiar with it since you already own it, why make a durastic change? Self defense is not a subject that should be randomly experimented with. My :twocents:

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    this may be a dumb question, but has the OP fired the Citadel .45 yet? Caliber of weapon makes very little difference if the shooter can't hit what he's aiming at. I also change calibers according to season, Glock 19 in the warm months and 10mm in the colder months to improve penetration with extra clothes, heavy coats, etc. To the OP, we can't decide what's right for you, but there is a very big difference between the two guns you are considering. If you shoot the Glock 19 well, and SHOULD be familiar with it since you already own it, why make a durastic change? Self defense is not a subject that should be randomly experimented with. My :twocents:
    well alot of my shooting has been with a ruger 45 that i owned in the past. ive also owned a couple ruger 9mm too.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    If the Citadel is reliable and reasonably accurate, I personally have no experience with them, I would feel well armed with either.
    The GLOCK 19 is hard to beat as a medium frame carry gun; that being said, today I am carrying a Colt Commander.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    9mm unless it's a full sized 1911.

A 1911 with slim grips is about as thick as most pocket pistols out there, as long as you can handle the length of it, it's amazing for IWB.

I'm sure a commander size solves that problem, but I prefer to the full sized guns for a lot of reasons, and they're easier to carry than a compact glock.

Top Bottom