what would you prefer as carry gun?? 9mm or 45?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I carry a g19 daily. I have an very small frame, though I'm tall, and I have never been called out for carrying, even when people hug me. It's very easy to conceal. The gun itself is extremely accurate, even at 25-30 yards. Easy to controll the recoil, even with hotter +p or +p+ rounds, and it has a sizable mag. I also use a owb holster.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Caliber doesn't matter. Pick the one you're more comfortable carrying and shooting. Personally I'd pick the Glock 19 because I really don't like small 1911's.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Reasons why I'd choose the Glock 19?

It's dependable and reliable. Its a proven weapon.
    Small enough to conceal VERY easy. And big enough to do what you want with it. If you had the Glock 19, you really don't need any other pistol.

I would choose a 9mm over a .45 is because you can carry more ammo. The .45 is great to shoot. And I'd like to own another one someday, but just as a range gun. I sold my .45 for another 9mm.

I EDC a 9mm, a Glock 19, and I have another 9mm just so my wife has something she can shoot.
    :yesway: This all day long!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have avoided any 1911 with a barrel shorter than 4". They seem to have the most problems due to physics. I carry 45 but would rather have the extra rounds of a 9mm.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I say 9mm vs 45 is not even close to as important as whether or not you actually have it on you when needed instead of at home in the safe.
    By merely carrying, you are 99.9% better off. Debating the fraction of a percent better off you are from 9 vs 45 seems silly to me.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    EDC my m&p9 and love it.

18 rounds (plenty room for error aka missing when im potentially in the heat of using it)
    Quick follow-up shota with little recoil...
    And I dont care what ANYONE says: a good 9mm round puts plenty big of a hole in center mass.
    Unless you edc with the intent of shooting at a target wrapped in kevlar... A 45 isnt "needed" as many might believe.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    1911 gets my vote although I do adore the Austrian combat tupperware. I prefer a thinner handgun since I like to carry inside the waistband. Caliber, capacity, and accuracy mean jack **** if I leave it at home on the dresser because I don't find it comfortable to conceal.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you live in the city, I would suggest a higher capacity in case you are in a situation with multiple "targets." If you still prefer a .45 then FNH offers the FNP with 15+1 rounds of .45acp

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have Glocks in 357sig, 9mm, and 45ACP. Since I practice with them all, I feel confident in carry any caliber.

I agree with what someone earlier said, get the handgun and caliber that you can handle comfortably.

I think a handgun loaded with a self defense round from a reputable maker will get the job done!

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I personally carry a 45 and am very happy with it. I have 9s that i will carry in the summer, but winter it is either my 45 or 357.

On the other hand I am not a glock fan by any means, but if you have practiced with your 19 and are reasonablly accurate with it then I would continue with it. As said by someone else swithching platforms requires practice to get accustomed to the new type of pistol. Citadels are a cheaper 1911, and if you want one I would keep your glock for now and save up to get a citadel. I have seen new ones at the 1500 for less than $400, then you can practice with it, and get used to locked and cocked single action over safetyless double action.:twocents:

Top Bottom