• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which Should I get?

• Total voters
    N

ndrews_18--

Hey everyone Im New here, Thought I would get a opinion on a 45 handgun Im looking a H&K Usp 45 Full size as my main, and a Ruger p345 as a backup. Im not a cop or anything like that But wanting good personal and Home family protection. My question is I have never owned either of these brands But heard both are excellent 45's and will last a life time. Money doesnt concern me I 'll just put them on a layaway, Quality and Warranty and reliability I worry about. What does everyone think?

That And I have to get the new lifetime Lic from the state I let my 4 year go I didn't have enough money to renew since its like 175.00.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I really don't see the sense in paying the extra for the HK, when the Ruger will work just as well, last at least as long, will let you carry and become intimately familiar with the one gun, and has Ruger's outstanding customer service to back it up. For the price difference, you can buy spare mags, more ammo, and a heck of a nice belt, holster, and mag holder/s carry set up.

N

ndrews_18--

I really don't see the sense in paying the extra for the HK, when the Ruger will work just as well, last at least as long, will let you carry and become intimately familiar with the one gun, and has Ruger's outstanding customer service to back it up. For the price difference, you can buy spare mags, more ammo, and a heck of a nice belt, holster, and mag holder/s carry set up.

Well I Priced a New H&K for 950, and I think the Ruger was I think 429 But was on sale for 359.

STRIKER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    HK, IMO is one of the best ones out there - period.

You can get a new black on black HK USP .45 for around $750 from CDNN

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Not long ago I shot a Colt that manufactured in 1917. It ran perfect and shot well. Take good care of a good gun and it will out last you.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I wouldn't buy a .45 unless it was a 1911, and then only because the 1911 functions best in its parent caliber.

If you want a good home defense weapon, you should start with a long gun anyway.

Buying a .45 caliber handgun just subjects you to more recoil, more cost to practice (whether factory or reloaded ammo), and offers no real, demonstrable increase in performance.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Never fired the Ruger, but the HK is a fine weapon. However, I'm unconvinced that it's $400+ better than a Glock, M&P or XD.

N

ndrews_18--

I wouldn't buy a .45 unless it was a 1911, and then only because the 1911 functions best in its parent caliber.

If you want a good home defense weapon, you should start with a long gun anyway.

Buying a .45 caliber handgun just subjects you to more recoil, more cost to practice (whether factory or reloaded ammo), and offers no real, demonstrable increase in performance.

Well I have a bunch of long guns.

20 ga mossburg shot/and rifle barrells
    .28 ga H&R Topper
    .308 H&R Survivor
    .204 H&R Ultra Varmint Fluted Barrell
    .410/45 Long Colt H&R Survivor (wifes Toy)
    .50 Blk Powder Cva Optima Pro
    .17MHR H&R Sportster

Browning Rage Compound Bow.
    Maybe 28 ga Franchi Al Deluxe
    H&K PSG1
    Dragunov SVD
    M1A Super Match

Last edited by a moderator:
    N

ndrews_18--

Never fired the Ruger, but the HK is a fine weapon. However, I'm unconvinced that it's $400+ better than a Glock, M&P or XD.

Well I know Beretta is the Oldest Gunmaker in the world and I think H&K is the third oldest. Beretta 1526 and I think H&K was 1773,SIG 1751. I dont Know of any other between the three. Im sure there are some. Maybe. I dont know.

Im not much for glock, Now I have heard sig is good, But I think there similar to h&K. I dont Like Springfield armory very much expect there M1 grand But I think they stopped making them or just took them off there site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    1911 is 1st in my book. SIG 220 is good, Witness also makes a good 45 although it's pretty heavy. Lots of good guns to choose from and everyone has their favorite. Go to the 1500 this weekend and look at as many as you can find and figure out what you like the best.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Since you specified you want a durable defensive weapon, the Ruger is a great choice. Have a P90 .45 in my nightstand. To give up the D.A. trigger option on a defensive gun seems like a bad idea; though I suspect 1911 fans will disagree.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    S&W 325PD or equivalent (Nightguard) for carry, 625 4" for home. Or you can carry the 625 as primary and the 2 1/2 inch gun as a BUG.

45revolvers.jpg

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I voted other, I love the 1911's, Kimber, Colt, Springfield all will treat you right. Nothing like shooting a full size 1911, look under SWEEEEET in the dictionary you will see a pic of a fine 1911 :D

My next pic would be the Sig P220, for me in a DA/SA configuration it is the best (I've been carrying one for 4 or 5 years now as my duty gun).

Your HK or Ruger picks are fine also, either one is going to be a good gun but you will definitely see and "feel" the difference between the 2. The HK will "feel" more refined/smoother but that doesn't say it will "shoot" or last longer than the Ruger. Ruger's are built like tanks and are going to last FOREVER.

Of course you then will also have Glock 21 (full size), Glock 30 (Compact) and Glock 36 (thinner single stack) you can look at, plus then there is always the XD line of 45's with my personal favorite for CC would be the .45 compact (Comes with a 10 rd flush mag for carry and a 13 rd full size mag with grip extension for when you are at home).

Really go look at them, fondle them, and drool over them at your local fun shop and see which one fits your hands the best and if possible if you can shoot a few that always helps make your mind up.

Hope I helped clear up your decision :D.

By the way I envy any one that is gun shopping, pobably one of my favorite things to do :D

Good luck to you and look forward to your post on what you get and of course the mandatory gun pics!!!!!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

^that^. 9mm is much cheaper to shoot, unless you relaod. Plus the recoil is softer, and you have a higher mag capacity. For home defense, a shotgun is a much better choice.

Top Bottom