• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    She is a teacher. Teachers need scissors.

I have a couple pairs big enough to kill wild boar with. They have large brass handles and technically I think they are called tailors scissors. Mine might of been made in England.

These are big suckers.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have a very small gerber lockback that I use as a money clip. I've actually and unintentionally taken it through security at the City County Building.
    I know wives don't normally use money clips but this idea has served me well for years.
    IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have one of these SOG Micron's on my keys. One time I went to the Indiana Government Center and they saw it on my keyring, laughed then let me through. It's tiny, but let me tell you it is sharp! I also bought a pink Kershaw Chive for ny wife to keep in her purse.

micron.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Before you do anything, you MUST find out what the policies are for teachers and administrators having/carrying anything that would/could be considered a knife and that would include a box cutter...it's not worth losing a job over. :twocents:

agree.

i think the box cutter idea is the route to go. AFTER you ask the administration, and get it in writing.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Check out the Chad Los Banos designed Boker Plus. Your wife could wear it on a charm bracelet. A one inch razor sharp clip point blade . Overall, it might be just short of two inches.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I would also check Indiana State law on carrying knives on school property. Just in case policy and law are not the same!

state law prohibits it without express permission. so, if you get permission you are fine. if you carry a knife on to school grounds without permission, you are breaking State law.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property

Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    state law prohibits it without express permission. so, if you get permission you are fine. if you carry a knife on to school grounds without permission, you are breaking State law.

I have a great deal of respect for you, cubby..... but I have to disagree with your interpretation of the state statute.

Why? See next post...... (below)

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

Original poster clearly indicated the reason for the knife in her possession at school, would be to open cartons, etc with it...rather than her having to use scissors for that purpose. -Lee

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, is it intent of the person, or intent of the manufacturer?

I never intend for my pocket knife to be a weapon, but I suppose It would server as one if forced. The manufacturer does not market it as a weapon, but as a tool. I am fairly certain that a school would consider it a weapon, though.

Big difference between my little folder and a bayonet! One is definitely a weapon, the other is arguably not.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Original poster clearly indicated the reason for the knife in her possession at school, would be to open cartons, etc with it...rather than her having to use scissors for that purpose. -Lee

I don't think you have to met all criteria for it to be illegal. atleast that is how it reads to me.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    My wife carries a Mini-Griptillian:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-Mini-Griptilian-Knife/dp/B001LTOAVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314919072&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Benchmade Mini Griptilian Knife: Clothing[/ame]

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I don't think you have to met all criteria for it to be illegal. atleast that is how it reads to me.

but there is an "and" in there i see...... so it would sound inclusive.

i still think most (imho ALL) "administrations" would rule more on the spirit of the law than the word. i have seen people fired/suspended/expelled for having an assortment of edged tools. from traditional pocket knives, tacticals, box cutters (simple sleeve), and stanley knives.

the above is just my experience and does not reflect any ruling of the law.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    but there is an "and" in there i see...... so it would sound inclusive.

i still think most (imho ALL) "administrations" would rule more on the spirit of the law than the word. i have seen people fired/suspended/expelled for having an assortment of edged tools. from traditional pocket knives, tacticals, box cutters (simple sleeve), and stanley knives.

the above is just my experience and does not reflect any ruling of the law.

Yea, buddy........ I was not trying to be disagreeable with you, or anything. Just pointing out that there is a difference between when the law incorporates the word and vs using the word or in the statute.

And you are right, in that most school administrators are liberals, and might be opposed to any knife on the premesis. But I actually think this statute is directed at students and outsiders... rather than teachers, who usually have ( at least a little) more common sense and maturity on such matters. If it were me.... I believe I would still 'ask' the employer/school principle first.... rather than assume anything. An individual school district might have 'additional' rules, that go over and beyond the state statute.

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    get her a pink classic alox...small blade, tweezer, toothpick, file, scissors....not a weapon....my wife hated knives said she would never carry one....now she loves it and uses it all the time..they are durable and have a lifetime waranty

Top Bottom