• ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I hate picking favorites, but here goes:
    My favorite folder currently is my Strider SMF, with my Chris Reeve Umnumzaan being a close 2nd.
    My favorite fixed blade would probably be my Winkler stuff, although my Helle Temagami sees a ton of use.
    As far as a defensive blades go, I love karambits with my Strider HS taking first place and maybe my Emerson Super Karambit taking second.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Kitchen knives: CUTCO
    Fixed blades: Busse
    Manual Folders: Benchmade
    Out the side auto knives: Benchmade
    Out the front Auto knives: Micro tech

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I'm not knocking Strider at all but have you checked out any of TOPS' knives? Seriously you can get a 1/4" thick blade of 1095 steel for less than half of what a Strider costs. And it will do everything the Strider will do. It may require a little more maintenance, 1095 is high carbon and will rust if not oiled, but for the money they are worth a look.

Don't get me wrong, TOPS makes a nice blade, but their steel isn't on the same level as a Strider. Their steel (CPM S30V, ATS-34) is better and their heat treat is at the upper echelon of knives. I don't think you can do everything a Strider could do with a TOPS... at least I wouldn't.

Favorite brands I own: Microtech and Dozier (I consider my limited run Phat Bob in D2 to be in the ballpark of a Dozier folder, but some day I'll have a real one made by Bob), Blind Horse Knives

Favorite brands I don't own: Strider and Busse.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don't get me wrong, TOPS makes a nice blade, but their steel isn't on the same level as a Strider. Their steel (CPM S30V, ATS-34) is better and their heat treat is at the upper echelon of knives. I don't think you can do everything a Strider could do with a TOPS... at least I wouldn't..

Well no a TOPS knife, or any knife made of 1095, probably won't stab through an engine block. But how many casual users are going to do that? Real world usage, as in camp chores, shelter building, food prep, and self defense in a pinch. A TOPS will do no problem.

I would love to own a Strider. But for my usage and my budget I have been more than happy with TOPS' offerings.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Well no a TOPS knife, or any knife made of 1095, probably won't stab through an engine block. But how many casual users are going to do that? Real world usage, as in camp chores, shelter building, food prep, and self defense in a pinch. A TOPS will do no problem.

That was my point, a TOPS won't do everything a Strider can do, as was stated. Now if you qualify it with what you just said, I agree, but that would also include a lot of other knives. Remember, most of us that post in this forum are not "casual users" lol

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    . Remember, most of us that post in this forum are not "casual users" lol

:patriot:

I will restate. For my intents and purposes my TOPS 1095 steel knives have been great and are more than I will ever need for general camping work.

For extreme users Strider or BUSSE would be excellent choices. I missed the part where the OP said he would be enlisting and serving. For that I thank him and you Sir. Our troops deserve the best of the best and nothing less.

Me, being a weekend woods bum, I will stick to my TOPS.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This is why i want a strider fixed blade. The video is one of smokeeater908's.
    [video=youtube;BTzNgskTQZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTzNgskTQZA[/video]

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have seen that video. What you may not know is that the knife in that video was one a limited run of the Strider DB series made of CPM3V steel exclusively available through MonkeyEdge.com. CPM3V is considerably stronger than their standard S30V. Had that knife been a standard Strider I'm not sure the results would be the same.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have seen that video. What you may not know is that the knife in that video was one a limited run of the Strider DB series made of CPM3V steel exclusively available through MonkeyEdge.com. CPM3V is considerably stronger than their standard S30V. Had that knife been a standard Strider I'm not sure the results would be the same.

I agree that 3V is probably tougher than S30V, but that particular model uses a thinner stock. I have both (as well as the NSN DB-L version), and they are ridiculously tough knives. It was designed to be a crow bar with an edge, and they really excel at that. Would probably be perfect for a military guy wanting a breaching tool that he could still open an MRE with. Check out the link on this page :10-8 Consulting - Recent Articles
    BTW, not knocking on TOPS knives. They make good stuff at a good price. My Brothers of Bushcraft knife is probably one of my favorites.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I am a fan of knife steels and heat treat moreso than the manufacturers.

For a big fixed blade its hard to beat thru hardened 5160, its tough and you can resharpen it fairly easily in the field (compared to the high vanadium alloys) I just got my first bit of 3v and that stuff is amazing, hasnt gotten dull for me to try resharpening but I can imagine it might take some time.... A2 is also a great fixed blade knife steel. for a smaller fixed blade D2 will hold an amazing edge.

for folders s30v or cpm154 would be go tos.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I am a fan of knife steels and heat treat moreso than the manufacturers.

For a big fixed blade its hard to beat thru hardened 5160, its tough and you can resharpen it fairly easily in the field (compared to the high vanadium alloys) I just got my first bit of 3v and that stuff is amazing, hasnt gotten dull for me to try resharpening but I can imagine it might take some time.... A2 is also a great fixed blade knife steel. for a smaller fixed blade D2 will hold an amazing edge.

for folders s30v or cpm154 would be go tos.

Look at you, you grind a couple knives and you turn into an expert :p

Want List: Moran

I know a couple morons, you can have them.

Oh hell, you said Moran. My bad

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Believe me, a moron isn't on my wish list. They're a dime a dozen. Just step outside your front door...................:(

Top Bottom