When did you give your child their first gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have been thinking about getting my daughter a Cricket for Christmas. She will be almost 7 then and I was wondering if that was early/late/average as far as a first firearm. Some of you already know that my kid is on the extremely small side of things for her age and she may be too small for the Cricket just yet, but at least we could start training on the fundamentals. What does INGO think?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I got my son a Ruger 10/22 take-down for Christmas last year. He was 14, and this was after multiple range trips to teach him the "4 Rules" (I still have him recite them to me IN ORDER before any range trips), and ensure from my perspective that he was mature and responsible enough. I might add that I didn't *give* it to him... even though it was a Christmas gift, he had to earn my trust and confidence first.

I may have done this sooner, but I'm still relatively new to shooting myself. He's actually proven to be quite a marksman with the rifle, and his pistol skills are pretty darned good as well! Best thing, though, is normally at this age, us Dads aren't a whole lot of fun to be around. This has given us a new bonding opportunity beyond all the sports we still like to play together, which has been a great benefit I wasn't expecting.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Age is arbitrary.

Readiness to handle live firearms should be determined by two things; 1. ability to understand and demonstrate safety to a reasonable degree in your presence, 2. physically capable of safely handling the firearms you're using.

I was around 5 when I started with a 22lr and 12ga (dad helped me hold it up) Guess which one I wanted to shoot more ;). My nephew started learning at 2 and took his first shots with a 22lr at 4 (mostly because of his size limitations.) He used the Savage 22 that Bradis stocks ( I don't remember the model number.) Size of guns will advance with his physical capabilities as long as he continues to demonstrate safe handling. I know a 9 year old who shoot clays with full sized shotguns (pumps and double barrels) all the time. I was around 10 when I started competing in trap as well.

I've taught/helped teach a couple hundred youths (between boy scout troops, family, friends, etc.) I have yet to see any simple "one size fits all rule" apply to any sort of majority. These basic concepts seem to be the best method IME. It's merely up to each parent to judge where their child lands on the spectrum of understanding and capability. It sounds like the Cricket might be just the right size for her as long as she can handle it safely. :dunno:

Last edited:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    The answer to your question, is a judgement call, best determined by yourself... Base your decision on curiosity factor, maturity and necessity.

My father taught me to shoot at the age of 5 & first took me hunting (squirrel) at age 7. I had an insane curiosity of firearms! I learned with an 1890's single shot .22 saddle rifle, and dad would hand me a single shot .410 for hunting. However, he did not actually give me a gun until I was 12. A Marlin .22 tube-fed rifle (it was kept in his care until I was 16-17).
    As for my kids, I waited until I felt they were mature enough. In the case of my boys, teaching them was more of necessity, due to their curious nature. My girls, it was more a maturity thing. My youngest (girl) has taken to firearms/shooting the most. I first taught her firearm usage/respect at the age of 12. Her first (and only) firearm is a .22 revolver she got for her 16th b-day. This revolver remains in my safe until she has her own place and/or is no longer in college. She is in agreement with this idea, but has said (when she is ready), she would like to have a .45 ACP.
    :): That's my girl!!

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    For me I got my first .22 when i was 5. First shotgun was age 8. I used to walk with my dad in the woods when he went squirrel hunting and afterwards he would let me shoot his winchester 190. That gun was so heavy back then. I learned how to shoot with that and my first one was a youth model marlin bolt action. I own his gun now and I still have my first gun. Ill never get rid of it. I still hunt with it sometimes.

I think you will hear different things from everyone. For my family we all started out young. We all took hunters ed when were little too. I think its just what your comfortable with and if you think your child is ready for the responibility.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    My girl asks about guns and we talk about them some. She shot for the first time at NFA day last year and really liked it.
    Perfect time to immerse her into shooting & firearm usage. Especially since she has shot before & enjoyed it. Make it a daddy/daughter day. That's how I did with my girls. My youngest is a range fanatic. Any time I go to the range, she wants to go. At age 14, I told her she needed to learn how to tear-down & clean the range weapons. She grumbled at first, but now, when range time is over, she immediately sits & cleans her weapon. Heck! The kid can shoot better than most seasoned shooters I've known (including me). :)

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I gave my daughter her first gun at 7. A lil .22 rifle. She now has a .17 with heavy barrel but likes my lil Sig mesqito the best. She's now 9. Enjoy range time with her.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't have any kids myself, but I've given Cricketts to at least a dozen other peoples kids, including 6 or more on these boards.
    I think the average age has been about 6 or 7, but I've seen kids as young as 4 that are more than capable of demonstrating safety skills and are able to follow instructions.

I've also seen some 40 year olds that don't have any business handling a firearm, EVER!

It is a judgment call, but I think 5 or 6 would be a good average to start.

I wish I could afford to give away a few more Cricketts on here for Christmas this year but it doesn't look like the finances are going to allow it this year.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My son got his first gun (AR-15) at six, then eight, nine, and eleven. I debated a cricket when he was eight, but I got him a 10/22, something to grow into instead of growing out of it.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Like others have said, there is no right age. It's when you think she is ready based on her interest, maturity, and physical ability. My youngest was about three weeks shy of her fifth birthday when got her Cricket. I know many adults that aren't mature enough to handle one.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The biggest thing I can advise that hasn't already been mentioned, is to take it gently when at the range for the first time or two. This isn't so much for the OP, but maybe for anyone who may read this in the future.

Too many times I see parents take their kids to a range that has a lot of people at it. The parent already has high hopes for their kids to perform well, this is only amplified around other people. The kids naturally want to please their parents too, so they are already nervous a lot of the time. Again, this is worse if others are around. This combination makes for a parent who quickly become irritated/excited when the child makes a mistake (which is likely) and a child who may be a little sensitive to such reaction. It's imperative to remain calm. If they make a mistake, don't over react. Simply correct it in a calm manner, and explain to them how it was wrong (if they don't already know) or what they could have done better to improve. Getting excited, yelling, etc. often turns kids off from the shooting experience. You don't want this for their first few times shooting. :twocents:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My son got his first gun (AR-15) at six, then eight, nine, and eleven. I debated a cricket when he was eight, but I got him a 10/22, something to grow into instead of growing out of it.
    Excellent advice. Even smallest of kids can handle ARs and if the recoil is just a bit much, 22lr bolt conversion makes it a gun they can use for life.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    The biggest thing I can advise that hasn't already been mentioned, is to take it gently when at the range for the first time or two. This isn't so much for the OP, but maybe for anyone who may read this in the future.

Too many times I see parents take their kids to a range that has a lot of people at it. The parent already has high hopes for their kids to perform well, this is only amplified around other people. The kids naturally want to please their parents too, so they are already nervous a lot of the time. Again, this is worse if others are around. This combination makes for a parent who quickly become irritated/excited when the child makes a mistake (which is likely) and a child who may be a little sensitive to such reaction. It's imperative to remain calm. If they make a mistake, don't over react. Simply correct it in a calm manner, and explain to them how it was wrong (if they don't already know) or what they could have done better to improve. Getting excited, yelling, etc. often turns kids off from the shooting experience. You don't want this for their first few times shooting. :twocents:

I completely agree with this. I took my clan out to my brothers (20 acre) property to first teach them. And, if we did go to a range, It was usually strategically timed as to when the range less busy, with few or no people. Most importantly... Patience is paramount!

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    This is a sore spot between my daughter and myself. She told me a couple of years or so ago that she asked me to take her shooting when she was younger. According to her, I told her then, that she didn't need to go shooting. She also says I told her that she'd probably need a "pink shooting suit and pink shooting glasses". I don't remember any of this.

Anyway, I just bought her a handgun a few months ago. She got a .38 Special snubbie for carry. She's 41 years old. The girl is a deadeye. She routinely outshoots me and her husband at the range.

It's funny, I would have bought her a gun years ago, but she never mentioned our little conversatin until after many years. I guess I should be more careful when replying to her.

I know that most of this is irrelevant, but I just wanted to advise anyone in a similar situation to give the idea some thought.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I gave my daughter a cricket last May when she turned 8. Got it engraved for her.

Hindsite 20/20, I would have gotten her a pink laminated 10/22(it will be her next gun if she wants one)...a bit more than the cricket, but I have been wholy unimpressed with the cricket(I got a laminated pink stock one...looks very nice). I think maybe the Savage Rascal?? should be looked at as well.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This is a sore spot between my daughter and myself. She told me a couple of years or so ago that she asked me to take her shooting when she was younger. According to her, I told her then, that she didn't need to go shooting. She also says I told her that she'd probably need a "pink shooting suit and pink shooting glasses". I don't remember any of this.

Anyway, I just bought her a handgun a few months ago. She got a .38 Special snubbie for carry. She's 41 years old. The girl is a deadeye. She routinely outshoots me and her husband at the range.

It's funny, I would have bought her a gun years ago, but she never mentioned our little conversatin until after many years. I guess I should be more careful when replying to her.

I know that most of this is irrelevant, but I just wanted to advise anyone in a similar situation to give the idea some thought.

:(

Top Bottom