When did you give your child their first gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I think that is fantastic; the earlier, the better. Are you thinking SS with a pink laminated stock? Walnut stock? Or the lighter synthetic stocks? My first exposure to shooting (excluding Daisy lever action and Crossman 760 Pumpmaster) was with a bolt action 22. Develops concentration on making every shot count. I bet she will cherish it her entire life.

The next biggest question will be when to turn her loose by herself.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    2 weeks after conception. I figured we'd wait until she was old enough to responsibly care for it and adhere to all the safety rules we grilled into her since she was a wee zygote.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How timely, my son will be 14 this week and my first gun - H&R break action single shot 410 - is on my radar for him. He currently shoots any gun I have but doesn't have any of his own. I want to give him my 410 for sentimental reasons, but he's already handy with a 20 gauge pump action so the 410 single shot will be a step down for him. On the other hand, it will be his.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    May I suggest you take a look at the Savage Rascal as well. I bought one for my daughter when she was 8. I passed own a pump, tube fed 22lr to my 13 year od this year. He had been shooting for 2 years prior.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    2 out of my three girls started shooting around the age of 5-6. My youngest started on a breech loading Stevens 22lr at 5 and at 9 now she regularly shoots a Marlin bolt action 22lr with a bi pod. Both showed and interest and maturity level appropriate to handling a gun around the same age. My middle daughter has not gotten into shooting as much but has come around in the last couple years a bit. She is now 15.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My son, like me, started out with a BB gun about the age of 6. I restricted his access to bbs for demographic reasons (we lived in town) but he had full possession of it. He was about 10 when we moved back to the family farm, and that is when his grandpa bought his first .22 for him (rossi 22/20gauge) and the following summer I picked up a Rossi 44 single shot for his first deer rifle. He knows, understands, and follows all of the gun safety rules, but unlike me, he isnt very interested in the shooting sports. I dont think he will ever ba against guns, as he loves shooting handguns, but hunting and long guns just arent his thing...

SPUTTER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    BEDFORD
    My wifes grandfather started a tradition that when his grandkids reached the rightful age of 5 he would give them a 410. My wife still has her 410 and my 2 sons and daughter still have theres. He pasted away now but I am continueing the tradition that when my grandkids reach the age of 5 I will also purchae there first gun. For my first granddaughter I have 2 years before starting so I got time.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Pink stock Savage Rascal at 6 years old; had to ship from NH to get one in that color. She had problems with the peep sight so I cobbled a rail and installed a cheap holographic; now she can't miss anything and is very into it. Have them shoot at reactive targets, my little girl can break clays all day. She's working to where I will get her a steel coyote, she hates those things since we had one eyeing the kids in the yard (I wasted it with a 300WM) and can't wait until she is old enough to hunt them.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    My grandfather bought me a .22 chipmunk for my 5th bday. Said that I'm old enough to understand how they work and need to know because the best safety was my brain. I had always been around guns but never could touch them just look. then I learned on that .22 the four rules and proper firearm handling. Still take everything he said to heart.

Meyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    My kids got .22's at 8 years old. That is all they have personally. The 13 and 19 year olds shoot everything I have. The 11 year old daughter still sticks with the .22 for now.

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    My wife and I both agreed that 5 is the youngest that we will buy him a .22 and start teaching more thorough gun safety

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I bought the boy a mint condition Winchester model 190 a couple years after he was born. I gave it to his dad with specific instructions. He's 10 now and target shoots when his dad. The two girls have Smith Wesson Classic NIB put away for them to inherit. The youngest girl (7) is getting a SW classic Model 29 engraved. Right now it's bigger then she is. I'm also holding a bunch of Daisy air rifles that are still in the box. They might be worth a few bucks when they graduate from high school.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I really want to get my son a Henry golden boy for his first birthday and get the engraved covers with his full name, DOB, and happy 1st birthday love dad on it, but I really don't see me having the cash to do it this year…

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My Child's Cricket .22 will be purchased upon first positive pregnancy test.

When they get to use it will depend on the the when I think they are mature enough to handle the responsibility.

Top Bottom