When/Where to move feeder for deer season ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

There’s a link from the NDA(formerly QDMA).
    Didn’t know they upsized, thanks Greg.

Some clowns want to help sustain a healthy herd but are still throwing out corn and minerals. The #1 action we as hunters can do to slow CWD is to quit the community feed sites. But yet here we are still feeding the pets. Some people don’t know any better but some clowns know the real truth but ignore it.

Some clowns are just confused on what they want. Big antlers will do that to you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    LINK

Here's the TLDR version.

Indiana whitetail population
    Early 1900's - hunted to extinction
    1930's - reintroduced
    1950's - hunting re-established
    1990's - present = historic high deer populations

Causes of High Deer Populations •
    Current deer numbers in U.S. can be 15 – 50+ / mi2 •
    Believed to be higher than before Europeans •
    Primary causes of deer increase
    – improved forage from agriculture (OMG!!! BUT PEOPLE PLANTING FOOD DEER EAT ACTUALLY KILLS THEM!!!)
    – elimination of natural predators (OMG!!! A MANAGEMENT TACTIC USED BY THE WANNABE HUNTERS!!)
    – increase in edge habitat preferred by deer (OMG!!! ADJUSTING THE LAND TO BENEFIT DEER IS BAD!!)
    – supplemental feeding (OMG!!! BUT PEOPLE PLANTING FOOD DEER EAT ACTUALLY KILLS THEM!!!)
    – warm winters (recent decades warmest on record)
    – hunters (and regulations) often favor bucks (HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!)

I've had all the fun I can have with this thread, my continued participation just makes me look cold hearted.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    You missed the part about feeders and mineral sites which has been the target of my clowning.
    There was nothing in your link that describes how cwd is approached. This thread is about corn feeders. You said you put corn out and mineral sites. You stated you’re all about a healthy herd. Is the QDMA teaching you to put corn out for a reason?

Time to study those corn pile stud bucks. Seasons coming.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You missed the part about feeders and mineral sites which has been the target of my clowning.
    There was nothing in your link that describes how cwd is approached. This thread is about corn feeders. You said you put corn out and mineral sites. You stated you’re all about a healthy herd. Is the QDMA teaching you to put corn out for a reason?

Time to study those corn pile stud bucks. Seasons coming.
    Not corn piles. I broadcast over an acre in front and a half acre in back. Minerals are chunked and spread also. Does the rabbits good too that way. (I got that little trick from the State biologist.) Their nice folks. You had ought call them too for your land. They were very helpful with my goals. From songbirds and turtles to deer and bear. They helped me make better habitat for them all.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

There’s a link from the NDA(formerly QDMA).
    Didn’t know they upsized, thanks Greg.

Some clowns want to help sustain a healthy herd but are still throwing out corn and minerals. The #1 action we as hunters can do to slow CWD is to quit the community feed sites. But yet here we are still feeding the pets. Some people don’t know any better but some clowns know the real truth but ignore it.

Some clowns are just confused on what they want. Big antlers will do that to you.
    Maryland has done that for years now, a couple of cases of CW and "Boom" no more baiting in that county until its resolved.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hunting with no management led to extinction.

Hunting with management led to record populations.

Makes sense to suspend feeding if there’s an issue. If only there were some way of keeping an eye on the deer to catch something like that as early as possible.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Maryland has done that for years now, a couple of cases of CW and "Boom" no more baiting in that county until it’s resolved.

Then it’s too late. The disease moved in done damage before a decision to stop feeding is made.

Yeah let’s just wait until it shows up and hits a few counties worth of deer population and THEN say, ok everyone quit feeding for awhile. Surly we are smarter than that.

Nope. We want to ignore the evidence so we can hold deer closer to our side of the land.

Screw the CWD, I need camera pics of my bucks.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh God! Maryland is doomed! Has anyone told them they're about to lose their entire whitetail population?!?! The damage is done!!!!!!!!

Man I wish corn was never invented, then there wouldn't be any disease in whitetail populations. Now that it's here, and in spite of record whitetail populations as a direct result of its presence, I think we should ban it. Corn probably kills more deer than God.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Oh God! Maryland is doomed! Has anyone told them they're about to lose their entire whitetail population?!?! The damage is done!!!!!!!!

Man I wish corn was never invented, then there wouldn't be any disease in whitetail populations. Now that it's here, and in spite of record whitetail populations as a direct result of its presence, I think we should ban it. Corn probably kills more deer than God.
    Only Deer corn regular corn is safe….:thumbsup:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ii dont agree, The State of Maryland DNR has some pretty smart employees working for them.
    Its truly a hunters paradise to live in.
    So off the top of my head, we have the Chesapeke Bay and all of its fish and crustations, ever hook a 60" Rockfish?
    It was Marylands DNR that reserected worthy Rockfish in Md.
    The ocean off Marylands coast brings one The Marlin captitol of the east coast.
    Many many counties with monster whitetails, Seka deer, and endless traping.
    Western Maryland brings the hunter animals to hunt are black bear, mule deer,
    Elk and Pronghorn.
    It was DNR that brought back Turkeys to southern Maryland.
    And I will say that we don't mount or use any cameras on our property.
    I grew up with this book and both of my sons have copys.
    Fair Chase and Beyond Fair Chase.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

We don’t have to worry about that here. Because we have the deer association members spending big dollars to build a better tomorrow. Thanks for saving the animals! If it wasn’t for you…

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Then it’s too late. The disease moved in done damage before a decision to stop feeding is made.

Yeah let’s just wait until it shows up and hits a few counties worth of deer population and THEN say, ok everyone quit feeding for awhile. Surly we are smarter than that.

Nope. We want to ignore the evidence so we can hold deer closer to our side of the land.

Screw the CWD, I need camera pics of my bucks.
    CWD has been known in the western US since at least the late 60's and is far more prevalent in states that don't allow baiting than those that do. It is only recently, after it was discovered how effective the CWD "crisis" could be for pushing agendas, that it became a panic. It certainly doesn't help that wildlife professionals have so frequently responded with knee-jerk and inconsistent measures intended more for CYA than reducing the spread of CWD.

Banning baiting due to CWD fears is a prime of example knee-jerk a** covering if not overt agenda pushing. There are certainly valid reasons not to allow baiting but CWD spread is not among them. How anyone that knows anything about deer could honestly think outlawing baiting would have any effect on CWD is beyond me. Given the suspected origin of CWD and the background info surrounding it, requiring mineral sites probably makes more sense than banning them.

Top Bottom