When/Where to move feeder for deer season ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Where I hunt in Michigan, there are no crops to speak of. Deer eat twigs and acorns, browse on the new trees. After three years of oak worm, I lost all acorn production. Almost. I hit several surviving oaks around the property with 12-12-12 multiple times. I have helped those key trees survive. I'm hoping for a least some mast to fall this year.
    I'm not doing it to harvest a big buck. I'm doing it to help the herd through tough times. I feed corn, yes. I put out minerals, yes. I fertilized trees, yes. I work the property for wildlife. Call it what you want. It's mine and my kids land. I'll shoot a buck this year, yes. Trophy six point? In my eyes, yes.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Let’s be honest, the main reason bowhunters start a mineral site is to shoot a big whitetail buck.
    I make no bones about it, I'm after mature bucks. If the time and money I spend producing a healthier herd makes me a detriment to the sport and something to cry about, well I guess I'll be a detriment to the sport and lots of folks must be crying.

I'll refer back to my earlier post about everybody being convinced their way is the RIGHT way. I've yet to see someone wearing clown shoes in the stand but I'm convinced they're out there.

I'll go back to wearing a loin cloth and throwing rocks. Still won't take someone more than a few seconds to whine about how the rocks I'm using aren't the right size. I didn't realize advantages were something to be avoided at all costs in "honest" hunting.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Where I hunt in Michigan, there are no crops to speak of. Deer eat twigs and acorns, browse on the new trees. After three years of oak worm, I lost all acorn production. Almost. I hit several surviving oaks around the property with 12-12-12 multiple times. I have helped those key trees survive. I'm hoping for a least some mast to fall this year.
    I'm not doing it to harvest a big buck. I'm doing it to help the herd through tough times. I feed corn, yes. I put out minerals, yes. I fertilized trees, yes. I work the property for wildlife. Call it what you want. It's mine and my kids land. I'll shoot a buck this year, yes. Trophy six point? In my eyes, yes.
    SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Slim I have no desire to make someone change how they hunt or what they do to achieve it. That is what some are making this out to be.
    The whole big buck scene is centered around cameras and food these days. The hunting world is manipulating the outcome to make it 1. A bigger trophy and 2. Easier. But we don’t talk about it like that because then somebody might figure out we’re not really hunting. I have seen so many new starting hunters, bow/gun, come to the table with “where should I put a food plot”? This is how new hunters are starting out. You don’t know the first thing about going out and leaning how to scout for deer sign and you’re already asking about food plots and feeders. Been watching TV and reading Facebook have ya? Here let’s put you some corn here and broadcast some no till oats over here and there you go. Here’s a sticker for your truck window. Your good to go!

This whole discussion is for the hunting world in general.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Slim I have no desire to make someone change how they hunt or what they do to achieve it. That is what some are making this out to be.
    The whole big buck scene is centered around cameras and food these days. The hunting world is manipulating the outcome to make it 1. A bigger trophy and 2. Easier. But we don’t talk about it like that because then somebody might figure out we’re not really hunting. I have seen so many new starting hunters, bow/gun, come to the table with “where should I put a food plot”? This is how new hunters are starting out. You don’t know the first thing about going out and leaning how to scout for deer sign and you’re already asking about food plots and feeders. Been watching TV and reading Facebook have ya? Here let’s put you some corn here and broadcast some no till oats over here and there you go. Here’s a sticker for your truck window. Your good to go!

This whole discussion is for the hunting world in general.
    Is the problem the way people hunt or the lack of men or women teaching their children how to hunt? If men and women aren't teaching them, guess who is? The hunters on social medial and television.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Let’s be honest, the main reason bowhunters start a mineral site is to shoot a big whitetail buck.
    I make no bones about it, I'm after mature bucks. If the time and money I spend producing a healthier herd makes me a detriment to the sport and something to cry about, well I guess I'll be a detriment to the sport and lots of folks must be crying.
    That was somthing from the link I posted. You asked how to use mineral to kill the hit- lister early. It’s all over the web on how people are learning to kill their prospect within the first week.

I realize you don’t like my opinions on feeding pet deer. When you feed them, then you name them. When you name them, then they become yours. You ever heard some one say, “my neighbor shot my #1”. Has your neighbor ever shot one of your deer?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That was somthing from the link I posted. You asked how to use mineral to kill the hit- lister early. It’s all over the web on how people are learning to kill their prospect within the first week.

I realize you don’t like my opinions on feeding pet deer. When you feed them, then you name them. When you name them, then they become yours. You ever heard some one say, “my neighbor shot my #1”. Has your neighbor ever shot one of your deer?
    I didn't ask about using mineral to kill the hit lister early. I mentioned that your purported way of killing deer is not reality for everyone, even if they use "advantages". Not everyone who has the audacity of using advantages like camo, scent control, food plots or minerals kills their hit lister early because of what they've done or how they hunt. If they do and they did it lawfully, good for them.

I don't have deer. We name bucks every year, makes it pretty easy to discuss who you see coming rather than trying to quietly whisper "Hey, here comes a buck that kind of looks like the one you shot back in 2017 but this one's a little wider. I can't tell for sure but it may be that one we have pictures of with the kicker off the left side". Seems self explanatory but I can see why it would be frowned upon.

I've had neighbors shoot deer that I recognized/named, happens all the time. Provided they followed the law I'm happy for them. I don't care to waste my time judging how they did it, I'm simply happy for them. It's a wonderful perspective to take. Follow the law and I'll celebrate whatever you kill with you. Intentionally break the law and I'll go out of my way to make sure you're held to account. We've always gotten along with our neighbors, especially those who hunt. Probably because we didn't bitch about how they did it.

I'd be interested in a break down of just how one, hoping to attain the legitimate title of hunter might go about achieving that without drawing your ire? What is considered acceptable and what is not?

Camo?
    Tree stands?
    Blinds?
    Can people use scent free soap?
    Do you have to wait 30 days after the harvest to hunt within 100 yards of an agricultural field?
    Are compound bows allowed?
    Are firearms?

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    If the time and money I spend producing a healthier herd
    You are one of the very few that I have seen say they are doing it for a healthier herd. Everyone I have personally know or read about, uses that time and money for one thing and it’s big bucks. We all want to shoot a big mature buck! Im with you!

You must be planting hundreds of acres in food plot to impact the health of a herd of deer. Most people are planting 1-5 acres which isn’t building a herd. Your an exception.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You are one of the very few that I have seen say they are doing it for a healthier herd. Everyone I have personally know or read about, uses that time and money for one thing and it’s big bucks. We all want to shoot a big mature buck! Im with you!

You must be planting hundreds of acres in food plot to impact the health of a herd of deer. Most people are planting 1-5 acres which isn’t building a herd. Your an exception.
    Depends on the area you're in and the approach you take. I'm far from one of the few who wants to help the herd in general, I and most like me fall into that camp. (Google QDMA, there's lots of us). You can't kill big bucks if there aren't any around. Some people are blessed to have access to land which is capable of growing the deer they want to kill, many do not. Indiana does not have the habitat other states in the midwest has, nor the genetics in many areas.

Others like to make sure they fill every tag every year regardless of the herd. That was Indiana for decades and the deer we have in this state now are descendants from deer trapped and brought to Indiana becuse of it. I don't like, I don't think it's a responsible way to manage a deer herd (at least if the goal is a healthy deer herd) but so long as it's lawful the only thing I can do about it make my voice heard to those writing the laws if I choose to do so. I don't begrudge anyone who is feeding their family from taking what they can lawfully take.

If someone has figured out how to use corn, soybeans or minerals alone to grow giant bucks please forward me their information. Are there plenty out there claiming to have done it? Sure and most of them are selling or shilling for companies selling the magical products that made it happen. Are there morons who believe they can buy a Trophy Rock, plop it on a trail in the woods and have 200" bucks roaming their land the next season? I'm sure there are but lumping everyone who takes advantage of lawful tactics which benefit the deer herd far more than the hunter into that category is a very adolescent and dismissive perspective.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Same team same team guys no friendly fire lol

ALL legal hunters support the “herd” and conservation efforts more than 5 vegans (probably more if you consider their negative impact on the environment) combined so lets not forget that.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    That's how it should be but unfortunately for some, not everyone hunts the same way. Some to like insist they are correct, others do not.
    Oh well I guess I will continue to just do me and not care what others do legally….. I can not like something and still not condemn a person. Had a guy last year lease the land behind me…. Shot anything that moved…… did I like it…. No.

And nope I don’t care if it is high fence either. Still putting in a heck of a lot more effort and financial support than the person at the grocery store buying styrofoam fairy ribeyes.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    But if you act now you could be part of an association that will teach you how to farm deer. Just a small fee and you can add an A to that QDM.
    Call now! Operator’s are standing by!
    That has changed to NDA (National Deer Association)…..You need to up date your Hate list !

Top Bottom