When/Where to move feeder for deer season ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Anybody is of course free to learn how to hunt WITHOUT baits, scents, plots, etc.

That makes rule interpretation a lot easier.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I know the difference my friend, I grew up in a State that you can bait, did you?
    Now shooting outside of legal hunting hours and that bait pile will win.
    In the last 10 to 50+ years of hunting my brother, my sons and myself have killed very few deer over bait piles of corn and molasses, very few.
    I've killed two bucks in Texas where baiting was allowed. Even with very limited hunting pressure and maybe 2-3 hunts per year, the deer quickly learn to avoid bait piles during daylight hours. When everyone and their brother is putting out piles of bait, the deer don't have to move very far or risk daylight movement for food. I've seen studies conducted in West Virginia (I think) where hunters spent 3x as many hours hunting per deer harvested in baiting areas than in areas where baiting is not allowed.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've killed two bucks in Texas where baiting was allowed. Even with very limited hunting pressure and maybe 2-3 hunts per year, the deer quickly learn to avoid bait piles during daylight hours. When everyone and their brother is putting out piles of bait, the deer don't have to move very far or risk daylight movement for food. I've seen studies conducted in West Virginia (I think) where hunters spent 3x as many hours hunting per deer harvested in baiting areas than in areas where baiting is not allowed.
    I believe it, our two local DNR Officers firmly believe hundreds of deer are killed in the county where my familys place is over being able to bait. lol

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I've seen studies conducted in West Virginia (I think) where hunters spent 3x as many hours hunting per deer harvested in baiting areas than in areas where baiting is not allowed.
    That’s because they believe state records come walking into corn piles. They’re putting in more hours waiting on that booner to show up.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I mean let’s be honest ……. Someone willing to hunt over illegal bait……. Likely would not check in so the numbers would be skewed.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That’s because they believe state records come walking into corn piles. They’re putting in more hours waiting on that booner to show up.
    If I remember correctly they had estimated buck age data as well and the average age of harvested bucks was older in the non-baiting portions of the state. Antlerless harvest rate was also higher in non-baiting areas.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    At my place in Michigan, I shoot my deer coming off of bait piles on federal land. At sunup. They eat at night and then head for cover on my place. Same in the evening. I hunt them heading for the bait. Want deer? Hunt the travel lanes in cover. It's that simple really. Not much different down here.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think I've ever met two hunters who agree with how the other hunts. Everyone knows better or does it better than everyone else. It's cracked me up since the first time I walked into an archery shop and listened to the bickering, don't suppose it'll ever change.

Follow the law, that's all I care about. Bait/no bait, traditional ML/inline, compound/stick and string, camo/no camo, food plots/no food plots, scent control/no scent control, public land/private land, anything with horns is a trophy/nothing less than 145 will do, rifle/shotgun/handgun, a doe taste better than a buck/they all taste the same, get em in the freezer fast/let them hang for a week.

One thing is for certain, there is only ONE RIGHT WAY TO KILL DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And it ain't your way.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I don't think I've ever met two hunters who agree with how the other hunts. Everyone knows better or does it better than everyone else. It's cracked me up since the first time I walked into an archery shop and listened to the bickering, don't suppose it'll ever change.

Follow the law, that's all I care about. Bait/no bait, traditional ML/inline, compound/stick and string, camo/no camo, food plots/no food plots, scent control/no scent control, public land/private land, anything with horns is a trophy/nothing less than 145 will do, rifle/shotgun/handgun, a doe taste better than a buck/they all taste the same, get em in the freezer fast/let them hang for a week.

One thing is for certain, there is only ONE RIGHT WAY TO KILL DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And it ain't your way.

Well I found the first hunter I agree with

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Apparently some who have posted here believe my question about where to place a feeder interpreted that to me where can I put a feeder to get around the "baiting" restriction and, thus, illegally hunt over bait.

That was not my intent.
    I didn't take it that way at all. I'm in a similar situation. I feed deer year round, whether it is apples, corn or alfalfa. Prior to season I stop, then start again after. Mineral licks well clear of any stands, by hundreds of yards and in THICK cover. I like happy and fat does. They make happy and fat fawns.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    This is what hunting has turned into. Feed deer all summer long with corn and mineral spots, sit back and watch the deer hit it via trail cams. Opening week go kill your “hit-lister” and hang your hard earned buck on the wall. It’s happening a lot.
    More and more people want to hunt this way and states are slowly allowing the bait issue to creep in. This is where disease gets some of its foothold on deer population.

I don’t think you insinuated this at all amboy.

A lot of people feed to kill but they’ll never admit it, but they get twisted up if you make fun of it.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    This is what hunting has turned into. Feed deer all summer long with corn and mineral spots, sit back and watch the deer hit it via trail cams. Opening week go kill your “hit-lister” and hang your hard earned buck on the wall. It’s happening a lot.
    More and more people want to hunt this way and states are slowly allowing the bait issue to creep in. This is where disease gets some of its foothold on deer population.

I don’t think you insinuated this at all amboy.

A lot of people feed to kill but they’ll never admit it, but they get twisted up if you make fun of it.
    True and feed to kill is also legal,Baiting not so much……It all comes down to opinions and ethics and some want to push their ethics on others or try to look down on them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you could post up the accurate instructions on how to make that work exactly as you described I'd be super intrigued to read it. If you could make it work for me I'll kill a big deer using your approach and you can watch me thank you personally on national television when I do. You'll have a new career waiting for you within days.

I've spent more daylight hours than not in a tree stand from Halloween through the day before Thanksgiving for the past ten years in the whitetail woods. We feed corn for two months in June/July, we plant food plots, we have mineral sites up and I have not once shot, or even drawn my bow back on a deer in or around a food source that we had any hand in creating. We've spent hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars improving habitat on our properties over the past ten years. I've killed four bucks and no does in that time. I've passed on hundreds of bucks.

What hunting has turned in to is better understanding of whitetail deer, what they like and what they don't. What hunting has turned in to is millions of people spending millions of dollars creating habitat to better suited to support a species damned near hunted to extinction in Indiana. What hunting has turned in to is people deciding they prefer spending time outdoors to existing within the sludge of our current society and finding productive ways to spend more time in the woods.

I know some of us yearn for the good old days of wandering into a piece of woods we've never been in before, sitting down on a stump with pappy's trusty old 12 ga slug gun and hoping it still will hit a pie plate at 50 yards like it did last time we shot it three years ago. Feeling like a hero when we actually see a deer and king of the world when we actually shoot one with a horn on it's head! Yeah, let's definitely bring back the good old days.

I hate the commercial/materialism surrounding whitetail hunting today. I can't watch hunting shows on television any longer, they're far worse than Nascar when it comes to blabbering about sponsors. This is an issue far from unique to hunting however, if there's any money to be made by corporations they're gonna come in a pervert it. They've done it with hunting just like everything else.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    What hunting has turned in to is better understanding of whitetail deer, what they like and what they don't. What hunting has turned in to is millions of people spending millions of dollars creating habitat to better suited to support a species damned near hunted to extinction in Indiana. What hunting has turned in to is people deciding they prefer spending time outdoors to existing within the sludge of our current society and finding productive ways to spend more time in the woods.
    So planting food plots and making mineral sites to grow big bone is not a thing?

Getting the deer closer to you rather than you getting closer to the deer is not what food is about?

This is why millions of dollars are being spent because deer won’t survive without engineered product?

If you could post up the accurate instructions on how to make that work exactly as you described I'd be super intrigued to read it. If you could make it work for me I'll kill a big deer using your approach and you can watch me thank you personally on national television when I do. You'll have a new career waiting for you within days.
    You’re right, people are not learning how to make hunting(well let’s not call it hunting) easier……https://deerlab.com/blog/deer-mineral-sites-for-daytime-movements

Manipulating Buck Movements​

Let’s be honest, the main reason bowhunters start a mineral site is to shoot a big whitetail buck.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    First time I seen baiting in action was probably 20 years ago. Watching a guy in Texas drive a 4-wheeler with a spreader on it throwing corn down all out in front of his tower blind. There was nothing but scrub brush and dry desert looking terrain. Easy pickings from his window. Couldn’t understand why that was called hunting? Still don’t understand it.

I don’t think he was providing habitat.

Top Bottom