Where should I buy a 1911 and which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    In about a week, I will be heading up to Indy to do some shopping. I need a 1911 that is reliable and won't go that much past $1,000. Where are some places that have good inventory of 1911 and have reasonable prices? I like the stainless steel or two tone look. Accuracy and a gun that has customer service that stands behind their product is vital.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Bradis has a good amount (including stainless and 2 tones) along with elmores. Other than those 2 I have not seen tons of 1911's around recently. I would go with a kimber or a sig if it was me. I think Im now going with a Kimber Custom TLE myself.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Bradis has a good amount (including stainless and 2 tones) along with elmores. Other than those 2 I have not seen tons of 1911's around recently. I would go with a kimber or a sig if it was me. I think Im now going with a Kimber Custom TLE myself.

The Kimbers are real nice. Where is Elmore's?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Call Bob's...Plainfield Shooting supply's. He always has a few and usually the best prices.
    The new shop in Avon had a couple last week. 1 Stainless if I remember.

Bradis has some as well.

I am no fan of Kimber and I hear CS sucks with them.
    Springfield has (IMHO) the absolute best warranty and CS.

Are you looking for EDC...Target...competition...What is the intended use???

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Check out Indiana Gun Club - it's a little bit of a drive but I live in Indy and drove up there to buy my 1911. They have a fairly nice selection - you can also search their inventory online.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Call Bob's...Plainfield Shooting supply's. He always has a few and usually the best prices.
    The new shop in Avon had a couple last week. 1 Stainless if I remember.

Bradis has some as well.

I am no fan of Kimber and I hear CS sucks with them.
    Springfield has (IMHO) the absolute best warranty and CS.

Are you looking for EDC...Target...competition...What is the intended use???

Target would be primary use

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Here in Columbus, our local Rural King is selling long guns and handguns, as of two weeks ago. Usually three or four 1911s in the case (though that isn't really a large selection), I haven't really payed close attention, but I know the Remington 1911 R1 is one of them.

Might see if there's a Rural King close to you, could pay to window shop and price compare before you head to Indy...

IIVIIace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Brazil, In
    Go Sig and don't look back

I have owned Kimbers, Springfields and RIA in the past. All were good, but two years ago I bought a Sig TacOps and I was impressed to say the least. Fit and finish were excelent and the gun is more accurate than I am. I would say the only drawback is finding a holster for one. I make kydex holsters so it wasn't a big deal to me, but if you ever want to carry one finding a holster will be difficult.
    Just my 2 cents.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Here in Columbus, our local Rural King is selling long guns and handguns, as of two weeks ago. Usually three or four 1911s in the case (though that isn't really a large selection), I haven't really payed close attention, but I know the Remington 1911 R1 is one of them.

Might see if there's a Rural King close to you, could pay to window shop and price compare before you head to Indy...

What are the prices like at Rural King? Usually the ammo runs on the high side. I'm actually in driving distance from Columbus.

Top Bottom