Where should I buy a 1911 and which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Beech Grove Firearms had a good selection in the case last week, and their prices are good. Customer service and cleanliness is a step up from Elmore's.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Where is your general location? I'm deducing southern IN, but sometimes I fail in my deductions! :D

I know where there is a new Remington R1 Enhanced, and the shop is open today. I do remember it as a stainless gun, however.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Elmores or Indy trading post would be my choice.. Elmores have more 1911s but 1000 and under Indy trading post has quite a few and great prices.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Elmores or Indy trading post would be my choice.. Elmores have more 1911s but 1000 and under Indy trading post has quite a few and great prices.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

I was in there (itp) 2 days ago and I wasn't impressed by the prices considering there was a 4" Kimber pro carray for over 1,050 and the same gun at Bradis is 809.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    if you're going to Elmore's then stop by The Outdoorsman too. it's on the same road and is only about a mile south. They usually have a couple of 1911s and their prices are similar to Elmore's. There were about 10 in the case last time I was there. They had a nice Remington R1S in stainless there.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    What are the prices like at Rural King? Usually the ammo runs on the high side. I'm actually in driving distance from Columbus.

I can't remember offhand (since I'm not in the market for a 1911 right now) but I think the Remington 1991 R1 (the GI model) was around $599? I could be mistaken, but that's what sticks out in my head.

Still no handgun ammo there to speak of. Last couple times I was in, they had some .22 short, .40S&W, and .45 ACP Hornady Critical Defense, it was around $25 a box? And quite a few American Eagle .223 55gr FMJ.

Still no 9mm.

Columbus Pawn has some 1911s usually, RIA, Springfield, Remington, but I do remember them as being on the high side. Might score a used one for reasonable though.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was in there (itp) 2 days ago and I wasn't impressed by the prices considering there was a 4" Kimber pro carray for over 1,050 and the same gun at Bradis is 809.

Just came from ITP and the Kimber you cited is/was an alloy frame Pro Carry with night sights. It sold while I was there for considerably less than the price on the tag so it's a moot point. It appears that Cash is still King. :yesway:
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just came from ITP and the Kimber you cited is/was an alloy frame Pro Carry with night sights. It sold while I was there for considerably less than the price on the tag so it's a moot point. It appears that Cash is still King. :yesway:
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]
    I'm not familiar with them... But are there non-alloy non-night-sighted pro-carries?

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It has been a while since I was in the market, but if you can pick up a Remington for $600, I'd take the time to check it out. RIA got a few mentions, and I agree for a few bucks more the tactical model is the way to go. I think if you want it mainly for target shooting you do not have to hock a body part to get a good .45.

It's been a while since I've taken mine to the range due to the cost of feeding it. However, if you load your own you have a great advantage over those of us who do not.

Take a little time and check out what's available; and try to find a few folks will let you shoot. As for where I'd head for Bradis or Plainfield Shooting Supply. Good luck.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Indiana Gun Club in Fortville. They have Kimber, Remington, Ed Brown, etc. and they usually let you finger all and any of them. Have never purchased from them, but the staff is super friendly. Wouldn't be opposed to shopping there at all.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    if you're going to Elmore's then stop by The Outdoorsman too. it's on the same road and is only about a mile south. They usually have a couple of 1911s and their prices are similar to Elmore's. There were about 10 in the case last time I was there. They had a nice Remington R1S in stainless there.

I rarely go in The Outdoorsman, but from my experience you go there to look not to buy. I would try Bradis first and cut to the chase, then PSS.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I usually go to Bradis. I've purchased 5 guns from there since August. Not bad for them when I live about 1.5 hours away.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have never seen a Kimber without night sights.:dunno:

Pro Carry II
    kim32000513.JPG

Pro Carry HD II
    kim32000543.JPG

Top Bottom