• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I've been wanting a 10mm for a long time and have considered getting a Colt Delta Elite. But I've read that the Colt frames can't handle the 10mm and have problems in as few as 5000 rounds. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this and not just what you've read on the internet. I like to hear from someone who has seen this problem with Deltas.

Another chose is the Kimber Eclipse Custom ll. I like the looks of this gun, it looks a lot like my Springfield, but I'm not crazy about Kimbers. I really don't have a problem with the gun as much as the few Kimber owners I've met and their "I've got the best and yours is junk" attitude I've gotten from them.

I really like the Glock 20 and it's my first choice. I like the all business look of it. Plus I have several Glocks and this one would fit in holsters I already have.

I've also considered the Smith and Wession 1006. This would be my last option. I have a Smith 645 years and ago and was less than impressed with it. But I do like the look of the gun and would be willing to give Smith another chance.

I really don't care for the other 10mm's to chose from. So what would you choose, Colt, Kimber, Glock or Smith.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I'm not a fan of Glocks but for some odd reason I shot a friend's 10mm better than any other Glock be it 9, 40 or 45. Makes no sense I know.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm not a fan of Glocks but for some odd reason I shot a friend's 10mm better than any other Glock be it 9, 40 or 45. Makes no sense I know.

(Disclaimer-1911 fan boy)
    The only Glock I really like is the 20. I have a 21 and it's OK, but the 10mm is just cool. I have honestly never shot a 1911 in 10mm, but have heard horror stories of them cracking frames. Really though you would have to shoot A LOT to break one IMHO. Never shot the Smith either but have held one and it is freaking HUGE. Heard good things about the EEA 10mm as well. If nothing else they are pretty to look at.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm really leaning towards the Glock now. I think the 1911's are a heck of a lot pretty, but for the price I can buy a Glock 20 and a Glock 22. Two is better than one, lol.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have several Colts, a Glock 20 and 29, Witness, S&w 610s and a Ruger Buckeye Special in 10mm. I've owned S&W 1006, 1066 and 1076s. I've never had any issue with my Colts and I think that the trouble was with the early Colts frame cracking near the slide stop hole. The first loadings of 10mm were pretty stout and I think that the modern loadings are loaded down a bit. Of all of my guns I like the Witness the best. It's a big solid gun and is a DA/SA model. It is accurate and a blast to shoot but it is HEAVY when fully loaded. Of the Glocks I shoot the smaller 29 better than the 20 for some reason, but that is true of the 9mm for me too. The 10mm is a great round and fun to shoot. A bonus of the revolvers is that you can shoot the 40 S&W out of it as well. :twocents:

PS; My Glocks might be in the Classifieds soon. I need to downsize some and they are my least favorites. ;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a G20, 29, 1066, and DE (among others).

My G20 is my hands down favorite, followed by the DE, followed by the G29, with the 1066 last (but I like them all).

One consideration is that you can buy .40 barrels that are drop in for the G20 and 29 and have extra options.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    As far as I recall, Glock designed the G20 from the ground up to be a 10mm gun, and then adapted their 10mm frame for the lower-pressure 45ACP in the G21.

Many other companies took their 45ACP frame and adapted it to fit the more powerful 10mm cartridge, and I think that is where a lot of horror stories about guns cracking open came from.

I can't remember where I read that, but so far it seems to have held true.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I owned a Delta Elite in 10mm and it never worked properly. As long as you had a round in the chamber, you would only be guarenteed one shot. I never could depend on the gun to chamber the next round. The slide would usually push the round out of the magazine and the nose would go up into the chamber, but there it would jam. The nose in the chamber, the side of the case against the feed ramp and the back of the case holding the slide open. Never could get it to pop the back of the case up and get it to feed.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back in the days of miami vice I purchased a bren ten pistol. It never feed correctly and the company said it was all in the mag's. I ordered 2 replacement mags from the company and after one year they never arrived so I sold it at a profit but not much of one. I wish today I had not let it go as since it never really fed ammo it would have been a LNIB bren ten that would not feed and worth a small fortune.

I still prefer the galico miami vice shoulder holster. they are expensive also but if you get a 10 mm i would look for one of those for it.

Just goes to show that you can never really figure out what gun/pistol is going to become a collector and shich ones will become a working mans gun.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I owned a Delta Elite in 10mm and it never worked properly. As long as you had a round in the chamber, you would only be guarenteed one shot. I never could depend on the gun to chamber the next round. The slide would usually push the round out of the magazine and the nose would go up into the chamber, but there it would jam. The nose in the chamber, the side of the case against the feed ramp and the back of the case holding the slide open. Never could get it to pop the back of the case up and get it to feed.

That's odd. I've own and have owned numerous DEs and even a Delta Gold Cup and never had any issues like that. My only problem was affording enough ammo to keep em fed.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have recently acquired a G20 sf. I love it. I plan to get a Delta elite ( special combat?) with blued slide and stainless frame in the future. Hopefully a 610 and something from the witness family eventually too.

From what I have seen with 10mm and people that shoot them, double tap seems to leave people wanting, the 200 grain blazer aluminum case isn't bad ( fairly stout), the buffalo bore 220 grain cast bulltes will talk to you, Underwood ammo has a solid reputation but is price. Corbon dpx in 10mm has some screaming loads. shibumiseeker seems very well versed on reloading, and reloading the 10mm. 10mm Auto - Handgun Ammunition - Ammunition the PPU ammo is better than the many factory 10mm loads in that it is cheapish, reloadable, and hotter than .40 it isn't anywhere near a max load, but it is 10mm.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I own a Delta as well as both 10mm Glock models. I have had no problems with the Any of them. However some of the hotter ammunition that is available states specifically that it should not be used in Delta's because the Chamber does not fully support the casing and could have catastrophic results. For that reason alone, If I were only to own one of them, I would choose a Glock.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Glock 20 + Double Tap ammo and your good to go!

From what I have seen with 10mm and people that shoot them, double tap seems to leave people wanting,

I will not buy any Double Tap ammo, nor will I ever recommend anyone else do so. They have shady business practices and didn't care to deal with a problem with their ammunition when it was brought to their attention.

It wasn't just me having an issue, it was widespread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/75281-caution_if_you_have_10mm_from_double_tap.html

I can deal with a manufacturer having a screw up once in a while, but this was either deliberate fraud or really shoddy quality control that they failed to address. Either way they will never get any business from me again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a G20SF some time ago and its by my bed. I shoot 200gr jhp reloads out of mine and its a great gun. I have had some jams though and I know that goes against all things mythical about flocks, but it still very very reliable.

Top Bottom