• ...and so much more!
  • prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    Hey Pardner,
    Let me take you a different direction. Gorgeous, reliable, and increases in value every day; S&W 547 revolver. And No, there are no moonclips. They only made about 10,000 in the first half of the 80's.
    Try Gunbroker or the other auction sites for examples. It's a K frame with that legendary trigger.
    The kids don't even know what they're missing.

I am as prejudiced as they come. I just love everything about six guns. The wheel is the greatest invention of man. Why have any other handgun?

Yea, yea, yea, I know: for defensive, suppressive fire. Spray and Pray.

Like everybody said, Sig 226, Browning High Power, SA XDM, S&W M&P, Glock. All great guns, except I still haven't figured out how to hold that Glock.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Hey Pardner,
    Let me take you a different direction. Gorgeous, reliable, and increases in value every day; S&W 547 revolver. And No, there are no moonclips. They only made about 10,000 in the first half of the 80's.
    Try Gunbroker or the other auction sites for examples. It's a K frame with that legendary trigger.
    The kids don't even know what they're missing.

amish-it-guy-jpg.jpg

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    You know, I have my favorites. But for a new shooter, I would recommend trying to find a few people that would let you try theirs first. Then you can organize a little mini meet & greet (with shooting).

I would shoot as many pistols as I could before I decided blindly on the one based on suggestions from a bunch of people who are possibly built different or have different backgrounds and experiences.

I'll second this.

Also,

What is your budget? Do you want a manual safety? All of the guns mentioned are similar is some way but have man differences.

Bigdaddybell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Crown Point
    I've owned rugers, smith & wesson, kimber, and springfield in 9mm. I loved the way the kimber felt and the way it shot, but it was a full size heavy gun. I've currently own three 9 mm's all springfield. And I love they way they feel in my hands, the grip, the way they shoot, the ease at which they breakdown. My two full size are the springfield xdm 4.5 inch barrel with 19 round magazine and the xdm 5.25 competition series with 19 round magazine also. And for concealed carry i prefer the xds 4.0 As for glocks they just never felt right in my hand and neither did the smith and wesson mp9. Just my two cents. Get what feels best in your grip and what you can shoot accurrately. Some gun ranges have guns you can rent so you can get a feel before you buy.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I would personally go with a glock 19, large enough to be accurate and easy shooting, but small enough to conceal. Takes the 17 mags for an extended option, has a rail for a WML and slap a pair of night sights on and you're good.
    As far as sexy lookin, I'd cerakote it , slide , frame or both. I've seen some very good looking glocks.
    Best of luck!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    HK and Sig beat Glock and Springfield every day of the week look and quality wise IMHO.

I'd agree on looks. Quality? Depends on your definition. Henderson Arms owner says he loves Sigs, but they don't hold up nearly as well as his Glocks, over the course of tens of thousands of rounds. I also know it is only one source, but I've not seen anyone even claim to put that many rounds through their guns. Really, almost no one is going to put the volume of ammo through their guns as this guy's business, so they all probably will more than handle even way above average usage. However, based on the limited info I have, it gives me peace of mind to know the Glocks can take it. If it can handle 100k rounds, then it will handle the 5,000-10,000 I might put on it over the lifespan I'll use it.

Just for info, he did not mention Springfield firearms. They aren't popular enough among the tourists, who go for guns they have seen in movies or on tv, so he either doesn't have them, or doesn't run significant amounts of ammo the others see.

I'm no Glock fanboy. I prefer shooting my Rugers. I carry the Glocks, though.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Check out the CZ 75BD. I am saving for one as we speak.

These are great guns! A bit big and heavy for carry but you said range and home defense. I've got one in the safe that is mainly a range gun that makes the shooter look like he knows what he's doing.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Anything CZ:
    P09 full size, 19 +1, lightweight polymer frame, can easily switch from a safety to a decocker.
    P07 compact, 15 +1, lightweight polymer frame, can easily switch from a safety to a decocker.
    75 B, full size, 17 +1 (19 +1 with mod to mag) all steel, really accurate, really reliable. Safety.
    75 BD, full size, all steel, 17 +1 (19 +1 with mod to mag) really accurate, really reliable. decocker.

Also various compact all steel and aluminum frame models.
    Get any model Cajunized and you have not just a gun but a scalpel.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I know you said fullsize but g19 and m&p9c will handle like a fullsize and can use fullsize mags with the advantage of easily concealable. Just a thought.

if I had to choose fullsize? VP9 or M&P9 w/apex.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Anything CZ:
    P09 full size, 19 +1, lightweight polymer frame, can easily switch from a safety to a decocker.
    P07 compact, 15 +1, lightweight polymer frame, can easily switch from a safety to a decocker.
    75 B, full size, 17 +1 (19 +1 with mod to mag) all steel, really accurate, really reliable. Safety.
    75 BD, full size, all steel, 17 +1 (19 +1 with mod to mag) really accurate, really reliable. decocker.

Also various compact all steel and aluminum frame models.
    Get any model Cajunized and you have not just a gun but a scalpel.
    So true!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd agree on looks. Quality? Depends on your definition. Henderson Arms owner says he loves Sigs, but they don't hold up nearly as well as his Glocks, over the course of tens of thousands of rounds. I also know it is only one source, but I've not seen anyone even claim to put that many rounds through their guns. Really, almost no one is going to put the volume of ammo through their guns as this guy's business, so they all probably will more than handle even way above average usage. However, based on the limited info I have, it gives me peace of mind to know the Glocks can take it. If it can handle 100k rounds, then it will handle the 5,000-10,000 I might put on it over the lifespan I'll use it.

Just for info, he did not mention Springfield firearms. They aren't popular enough among the tourists, who go for guns they have seen in movies or on tv, so he either doesn't have them, or doesn't run significant amounts of ammo the others see.

I'm no Glock fanboy. I prefer shooting my Rugers. I carry the Glocks, though.

One of my brothers-in-law is a federal LEO. His duty pistol is a Sig 229 in .357 Sig. They train every month with their duty ammo. Plus they all train on their own outside of that. High mileage guns, those Sigs. They get re-sprung once a year and are good as new. Environmental factors play into the game much more with a polymer framed pistol than with a metal one. Ozone and UV light aren't going to work to the detriment of the metal one NEARLY to the extent that they'll affect the polymer.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Well you got a lot of responses. The one that makes the most sense is shoot as many as you can before you buy anything.

Top Bottom