• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah. I agree that AIM and SOG have better prices. I'll keep my research going and thank you everyone for help in giving me the low down on these.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    for my money, if i can't find a russian gun, i'll take a norinco or polytech (both chinese). better trigger, heavier receiver, chrome chamber and bore. if not those, then anything european taking a standard ak mag.

undecided

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    One place I just realized that sells them is Dunham's Sports in Muncie. They had some WASR's in their case. Looked like a few regular stock ones and some with the dragunov style fingerhole stocks. Also after looking on the internet apparently they sometimes go on sale too.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thumbstocks and missing bayonet lugs are the hallmark of "ban import" weapons. Too ugly for me.

Get all the post/pre/non ban features you can get!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Josh ... do you have the STG-2000? Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale prices.

If so, how long is the stock compared to a "real" AKM?

Is there any way to mount optics or a light?

I do not know on the length issue as I prefer the normal AK short length and tend to like it. As for sights, yeah, it has a side rail for mounting a scope, or weaver rail for whatever.

The finish on the metal is nicer than the Century stuff that is common, but the plastic guards up front are chincey and very non-standard. Also the sight radius is shorter.

On the up side, it is very light in a way that does not really seem to cause an increase in recoil. Mine is canted at the front sight (what AK isn't - and it is less than most Century's I have seen) and I had planned to mount up a scope of some kind instead. I don't like the dust cover mounts as they always seem loose.

Of course, any STG work is on the backburner since my Romak PSL arrived on Friday and the 9mm AK arrives later this week. I fear the STG is gonna be doing some sitting for a bit as a result. Maybe I could bring it with me to the next Riley shoot and let you play a bit. :do2:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Is there any way to mount optics or a light?[/quote]

joe, you are likely going to prefer to mount the reddot out front. on the high end is the ultimak rail. very solid. i'm going with the utg railed handguard and mounting a dot.

as far as ak accuracy? minute of man is to be expected. reliable to the extreme, but....

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Is there any way to mount optics or a light?

joe, you are likely going to prefer to mount the reddot out front. on the high end is the ultimak rail. very solid. i'm going with the utg railed handguard and mounting a dot.

as far as ak accuracy? minute of man is to be expected. reliable to the extreme, but....

Mounting foreward with a scout scope or red dot is a great way to go. Just be sure the AK you get uses standard sized front furniture. The STG for instance does not and limits you in that regard.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    F.Y.I.
    SOG is out of a lot of AK models.
    Apparently there has been a run on AK's lately. Hmmmmmm

Panic buying due to the fear of another AWB added to a stop in the import of parts kits. All add up to a drop in available AK's

J&G still has some, and if I were buying a basic one, the $500 AK I would look as most is the modified Saiga's at AIM:

aksaiga.jpg

AK-Saiga Russian Saiga 7.62x39 Rifle

But I am in so much hock already...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My wife just walked into the room all excited and said "Hey, I just found this great website (Classic Arms) that sells AK's! We need an AK!"

My wife's awesome. :rockwoot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Heh...We went AK shopping today. Almost bought one, but it was used and the price was almost that of a new one. I'm more in the "cheap as hell AK" market right now, provided it shoots straight and hardly ever explodes.

Something just occurred to me: Are there any ranges in Indiana that allow 7.62x39 ammo?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Q: how does the length of the stock on the STG-2000 compare to other AK stocks? Longer? Shorter? Same?

Top Bottom