• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I also have a S&W M&P Sport II, and I think it is a great rifle. It shoots almost as well as my higher-end AR-15, and that is with its 1:9 barrel. Really a great deal on a rifle that will make him proud to shoot.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    You can have a BCM complete upper minus a charging handle for $626, add an Anderson complete lower for $150, then pick up a charging handle for $25. Total $800 Edit: PSA charging handle for $12.99

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    But with an MSRP of $900, but the actual price is probably lower. A bit more than the OP's $700 budget.

I propose, that the increase in quality is worth the stretch of the pocket book.

And, as mentioned above, you can possibly buy a BCM upper and build your own lower and get close to the price point. But some folks don't want to mess with that.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    You can have a BCM complete upper minus a charging handle for $626, add an Anderson complete lower for $150, then pick up a charging handle for $25. Total $800 Edit: PSA charging handle for $12.99
    Have a link? Most BCM uppers I see for that price are minus charging handle and bolt carrier group, which is ~$100-200.

That being said, I have seen complete Spikes Tactical rifles in the last couple weeks for ~$700-800 which is superior to the M&P.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Have a link? Most BCM uppers I see for that price are minus charging handle and bolt carrier group, which is ~$100-200.

That being said, I have seen complete Spikes Tactical rifles in the last couple weeks for ~$700-800 which is superior to the M&P.

BCM M4 16" Upper Receiver Group Just configure it without the charging handle and get a cheaper one at PSA or somewhere, then add the cheap M4 handguard and update the price.

Anderson AM-15 AR-15 Complete Lower Receiver with 6-Position Collapsing Carbine Stock

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Id wait for PSA to run a sale on one of their premium uppers

psa 16in midlength CL 1/7 FNH barrel $300
    psa premium bcg and charging handle $100
    stripped Anderson lower : $50-$70 depending on dealer
    anderson LPK. $40
    anderson buffer tube kit $30
    magpul mbus $50

swap out parts for what you want, ie a different lower or maybe a bcm buffer tube kit.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I would strongly consider the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II. I believe it hits all required points on your list except the warranty and their a very nice rifle and you'd have enough coin left in your budget to get him some mags and ammo for his stocking as well!

I didn't know anyone offered a lifetime warranty on a $700 AR.
    Colt's Expanse can be bought for that. I've got one. It's an excellent shooter and solid.

Sport II is backed by s&w's lifetime service policy. Is this not a lifetime warranty?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    SIG M400 Enhanced worth the extra $300! Or the S&W or the Ruger if you wanna cheap out!

Just an FYI. The sig m400 is overpriced and the S&W isn't "cheap" quality wise. It's actually a solid rifle. I'm sure it would take more rounds than what you'll shoot in your lifetime

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I agree the S&W or Ruger are solid I meant if you wanted to go cheap. I would pick them over a lot of the junk I have seen for the same price.

The SIG and Colt are a just a little bit better or maybe an FN?

whats a SIG cost? I paid $999.00 years ago.
    Over 10,000 rounds so far still the best AR I own or have been issued or even been in the same room with!
    Love it when a guy has a big $$ AR that jams they always blame the magazine!

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Last I've seen the M400 was right around $1100. That's steep for that rifle. I guess they think it's worth more cause it has ambi controls. Big deal:rolleyes: I mean, how did we EVER make it all these years without ambi controls. How many shooters are leftys? Maybe 20%? I know it's best to milk every cow and not just the fattest

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Here's a Troy for $650. If you're needing to stay under $700, buy this and be done with it. A hell of a lot nicer rifle than anything mentioned here at your budget so far.

Troy Defense CQB SPC Carbine AR Type Rifle, 223/5.56, 16" Barrel, Keymod Handguard, New.

Or.....here is an Aero Oem for under $550. This is measurably better than the s&w sport, etc... It comes with a mil-spec BCG, ballistic advantage barrel, etc, etc.... Just install the stock and handguard of your choice, and you're off to the races. This is an excellent firearm.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine

Last edited:

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Would depend on whether the dad or the lad wanted to go with chrome lined barrels or not. I know a lot of companies are choosing Melonite/Nitriding to bring the cost down. I myself bought a pistol upper from PSA that was nitrided just to have a a cheap truck gun. There is just not enough info from the OP as to what the gun will be used for to help.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Would depend on whether the dad or the lad wanted to go with chrome lined barrels or not. I know a lot of companies are choosing Melonite/Nitriding to bring the cost down. I myself bought a pistol upper from PSA that was nitrided just to have a a cheap truck gun. There is just not enough info from the OP as to what the gun will be used for to help.

It will be used mostly for range use and possibly for taking down predators, coyotes, possum, and racoon's. We have had issues with predators trying to attack our heard.

Honestly I want to get him something he can have for years to come and we can enjoy together.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    It will be used mostly for range use and possibly for taking down predators, coyotes, possum, and racoon's. We have had issues with predators trying to attack our heard.

Honestly I want to get him something he can have for years to come and we can enjoy together.

If you were going with a powered scope for long shots then a non chrome lined barrel with a low profile gas block that you can install a free float handguard later and start squeezing the most accuracy out of is what you will want. Of course you will also want to install a better trigger also. Get out your checkbook. Now if you wanted a battle rifle that gets good enough accuracy out to a hundred yards with a red dot on it and want it to last to hell and back. I suggest what I linked to. So many variables when selecting an AR you won't stop with just one anyway, you will buy different uppers to fill your needs because you just snap them on your lower. Go to AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) to help get an idea of what I mean.

GaryXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

In that case I would recommend adding another $100 to your budget and getting the Springfield Armory Saint.

Top Bottom