• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    Alright so I have been saving my pocket change for awhile and after spending a few hours counting it this weekend, I have a few hundred dollars saved up for no particular reason. After spending all day planning on spending it on some 7.62 ammo I realized that i have 9 spam cans already so I figured its time to get another Mosin. Well I have a 91/30 already so I figure why not a carbine. So anybody know of any shops around Indy with carbines? the next question is what the going price is? I'm not looking for anything spectacular just matching numbers, don't care about where its from or what year it is.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Its a little out of the way, but last time I was in there (Saturday) Falls City Firearms had a few m44's and type 53 chinese carbines in stock. Chinese prices were about $160-$180 (I think), Russian m44's were around $250, and I think he had a polish m44 for about $325. I may be wrong, and you can call him to check before you make the drive.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Them M53 Chinese seem to be readily available in the LGS, M44's are harder to find. I ended up getting mine off Gun Broker (please don't flame me) for $265.00 including shipping. After you find an M44 then you'll need a 1895 Nagant revolver, they are still fairly cheap but the ammo is kinda pricey.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Its a little out of the way, but last time I was in there (Saturday) Falls City Firearms had a few m44's and type 53 chinese carbines in stock. Chinese prices were about $160-$180 (I think), Russian m44's were around $250, and I think he had a polish m44 for about $325. I may be wrong, and you can call him to check before you make the drive.

+2 on Falls City, he took a 1948-M44 and I believe a 1945-M44 in trade Saturday afternoon in addition to the above. Rick is a great guy to deal with.

P.S. that Polish M44 is numbers matching.:yesway:

harb7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    +2 on Falls City, he took a 1948-M44 and I believe a 1945-M44 in trade Saturday afternoon in addition to the above. Rick is a great guy to deal with.

P.S. that Polish M44 is numbers matching.:yesway:

Yea Rick will give you a fair price. If you are into any type of C&R guns or history at all, you will like his shop. Be sure to look at his Indiana history!

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    Them M53 Chinese seem to be readily available in the LGS, M44's are harder to find. I ended up getting mine off Gun Broker (please don't flame me) for $265.00 including shipping. After you find an M44 then you'll need a 1895 Nagant revolver, they are still fairly cheap but the ammo is kinda pricey.

you kow... i was kinda thinking that a nagant revolver would be nice. thanks for all the help guys.
    now if only I could find some >40 brass and 9mm dies:ar15:

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't looked in a long time but I bought my M44 from SOG. I bought it as a "parts gun" for $59 but it was complete and not all that bad overall. I figured for that price it was worth it just to see what I'd get. I refurbished the whole gun and it's pretty nice now.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i remember seeing some kind of Finnish mosin in a gun store called Madison county guns in Alexandria not sure what model it was but it was very nice and shorter that a m91

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I haven't looked in a long time but I bought my M44 from SOG. I bought it as a "parts gun" for $59 but it was complete and not all that bad overall. I figured for that price it was worth it just to see what I'd get. I refurbished the whole gun and it's pretty nice now.

SOG has T53s for $99. I got one a month or so ago and it wasn't bad.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I wouldnt give more than 80 bucks for one out the door. See them at every show. I almost bought one but everybody told me ammo was drying up. I put it down and walked the show for ammo and found none so passed on the rifle.

I used to shoot my uncles about three times a week for fun but that was back when they were real cheap.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Alright so I have been saving my pocket change for awhile and after spending a few hours counting it this weekend, I have a few hundred dollars saved up for no particular reason. After spending all day planning on spending it on some 7.62 ammo I realized that i have 9 spam cans already so I figured its time to get another Mosin. Well I have a 91/30 already so I figure why not a carbine. So anybody know of any shops around Indy with carbines? the next question is what the going price is? I'm not looking for anything spectacular just matching numbers, don't care about where its from or what year it is.

If you want a shooter carbine, I would recommend a 91/59 if you can find one. They tend to have very good bores and nice stocks - and don't have that heavy bayonet hanging off the barrel. You should be able to score one for under $300 but don't settle for one in less than stellar shape. Mine is just the usual 1943 91/59 but is quite pristine and quite accurate. Bought from a Gunboards forum member. As I understand it, 91/59s have not been imported for quite some time so there appears to be a finite supply if you look at them as an investment.

Good M38s are difficult to come by in my opinion. Usually counterbored, frosty, and beat pretty badly. I have only one M38 - a 1945 with pristine bore and I highly prize it. Found it at a local gun show for a pittance, from a seller who certainly didn't know how uncommon 1945 M38s are. It is also quite accurate.

One option if you really want a M44 with the integral bayonet - is that quite a few of the 1948 M44s are in exceptional shape, both inside and out. And they are no more expensive than other run-of-the-mill M44s. I would say $200 -$250. I have a 1948 M44 from Gunbroker that I have never shot. I keep telling myself that I need to - but always seem to choose a different rifle.

Nicest carbines are the Polish M44s, but the truly minty unissued ones are going for crazy prices. I have one I bought a couple years ago and I shot 5 rounds through it when I first got it. Since then I just look at it. Guess the M44s just aren't my favorite shooters. It came from Gunbroker. Now sells for double what I paid only 2 years ago.

Carbines are loud and fun to shoot - but if you want a real shooter for not much more consider a Finn M91, Finn M39, or Finnish Tikka 91/30. These always give me by far the best results.

Good luck in your quest with whatever you decide. My best advice is to don't settle for poor bores in any Mosin you intend to shoot. Gotta wade through a lot of poor ones to get to the good - and be prepared to pay a premium if the seller knows it. Then take good care of it!

Les

Last edited:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I wouldnt give more than 80 bucks for one out the door. See them at every show. I almost bought one but everybody told me ammo was drying up. I put it down and walked the show for ammo and found none so passed on the rifle.

I used to shoot my uncles about three times a week for fun but that was back when they were real cheap.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Boy did someone feed you a line of :poop:, 7.62x54r is one of the few ammos you can still get, and get cheap, last 2 crates I bought was about 3 weeks ago and it was $169.00/880 rounds/crate.

Hard to shoot cheaper than that. :twocents:

IndyAK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Somewhere and Nowhere
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: Boy did someone feed you a line of :poop:, 7.62x54r is one of the few ammos you can still get, and get cheap, last 2 crates I bought was about 3 weeks ago and it was $169.00/880 rounds/crate.

Sgammo seems to be getting lots in at least once a week, but with quantity limits. But for 21 cents/ round you can't beat it. It's all I'll be able to afford to shoot this year on a regular basis.

MADE IN AMERICA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Right now the 44 and 38 mosins are runnin high from what I've seen but gun shows seen a few. I like then 91/30's but I can hit a steel target at 500 yards with the 44 my buddy has one nice rifle I'd like to get one as well

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Gun shows are about the most reliable place to dig up carbine length Mosins anymore.. .and you'll pay too. I have an M38, M44 and a T53.

I don't ever shoot them lol.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN

This.

How much 54r you sittin on Miller? I have enough for Kingdom Come and I refuse to stop buying it too! 440 rounds to my door for about $90.

Yes sir, I'll take 6 this week lol.

Top Bottom