• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I know a guy that keeps a stainless revolver in a ziplock bag in his toilet tank and my cousin keeps a gun in a cabinet in his bathroom. The bathroom is the only place i would be worried about in my house but i cant bring myself to put a gun in such a humid environment even if it was a cheapy.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I fail to see how stashing loaded guns all round your house is going to make you safer.

Keep the gun on your person. There is no reason to take it off your hip when you get home. All I ever do is switch holsters IF I change cloths.

This is a great time to take advantage of a smaller pistol with lighter house cloths - I carry a KelTec P32 with an extended mag in a Galco stinger. The entire package, holster and all, only weighs as much as a magazine for some other pistols but it offers me 11 rounds of lead to sling without weighing me down of becoming cumbersome in tight spaces.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I fail to see how stashing loaded guns all round your house is going to make you safer.

Keep the gun on your person. There is no reason to take it off your hip when you get home. All I ever do is switch holsters IF I change cloths.

This is a great time to take advantage of a smaller pistol with lighter house cloths - I carry a KelTec P32 with an extended mag in a Galco stinger. The entire package, holster and all, only weighs as much as a magazine for some other pistols but it offers me 11 rounds of lead to sling without weighing me down of becoming cumbersome in tight spaces.

I'd rather stash a couple than do that.

whiteoak1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    nashville
    I also carry at all times. Unless I'm in the recliner in my underwear, then my pistol is on the end table next to my phone. I refuse to be unprepared if a home invasion should occur.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Article seems to be an antigun persons dream, c'mon more likely than heart disease, asking about the temp of hot water heaters.......

I thought there was some good information in the article that I did not see as biased, such as:

"Fewer children are dying from gun accidents today than a decade ago, as well. The number of kids younger than 14 who died in a gun accident fell from 86 in 2000 to 62 in 2010, according to the CDC. Yet progress has been uneven. Among the youngest children -- those younger than 4 -- the number of accidental gun deaths more than doubled, to 25 a year in 2010."

"In an experiment in which researchers observed how 8- to 12-year-old boys behaved when left alone in a room with a hidden gun, 75% of boys found the gun within 15 minutes. Only one of 64 kids in the experiment left the room to notify an adult. The gun was modified so it couldn't fire.
    Of the boys who found the gun, 63% handled it and 33% pulled the trigger.
    More than 90% of boys who handled the gun or pulled the trigger said they had received some sort of gun safety instruction, says Kellermann, co-author of the study, published in Pediatrics in 2001."

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Kids are naturally curious by nature, they will investigate anything and everything. They get killed by guns owned by the ignorant. I'm just glad the CDC has cured all diseases and has time for gun studies.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    67379d1351708075-do-you-carry-shower-cookie-shower-gun.jpg

Im always prepared even in the shower!!

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Kids are naturally curious by nature, they will investigate anything and everything. They get killed by guns owned by the ignorant. I'm just glad the CDC has cured all diseases and has time for gun studies.

I taught my kids to shoot and how to handle firearms at a very young age so they would know what to do if they ever came across a loaded gun outside of my home. I still chose to keep all firearms locked up in my house in different locations, some in a quick access pistol safe. I just could not bring myself to leave a loaded gun out in the open. I trusted my kids, but kids sometimes go against what their parents teach them. Also, I did not know if one of their friends would ever snoop in the house. I chose to not take any chances by keeping them all locked up at all times. Using a quick access pistol safe only would slow me down by about 1 or 2 seconds, and I thought that was a fair trade off for the peace of mind knowing children could not access my loaded guns. I know some will not be willing to make that sacrifice in time to access their loaded gun, but that strategy worked well for my family.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    Everyone in my house knows how to shoot, and knows where they are. I don't worry about it too much. A team effort makes it much easier!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I just carry around the house. I don't have to worry about the wrong person accessing it, I don't have to worry about getting to it, and its a gun I regularly practice with. My LCR is with me any time I'm not underwater.
    :+1:
    This way you're always ready.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I want to relax when I am at home. I really can't see myself carrying in the house all the time. I do have a couple of stashes but that needs to be revisited. Still working on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would ask who, in this insane world, does not have stash self defense pieces about the house. Yes, guns in strategic places safe from the twin terrorists in my avatar.....a bat here and another there.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't have little ones running around. Just me knocking around the house. I still have a hard time leaving guns unsecured.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I just normally carry my 1911 around with me. There are times (like right now) when I'm just lounging around in gym shorts, I'm unarmed. If something would happen right now, my weapon is on the other side of the room, yet I could get to it faster than I could open a safe. (that I don't have) My two children are both high schoolers, and fair shots. They have been taught firearm safety, and have earned my trust. My boy keeps his AR and 1 20 rd box of ammo in his own room, though not loaded in a magazine. I have been thinking on this subject because I have seen it on a few sites I get on.

I don't know if I could get to a well hidden weapon in a room faster than some bad guy could stop me. I will probably continue to carry as often as I can, but with other "good guys" in other rooms, I, or one of them, may be able to come to the rescue of a family member, given they could get to an accessible firearm. I'm not a die hard prepper, but I do like to be ready for a time when an emergency may happen.

My son, however, is the only one I have "trained" in any military tactics, so right now he could be the only one to be able to help out in such a case, other than myself. Wife and daughter can shoot, but have only done so on a range. Now I have something else to think about...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A couple of years ago, here in town, a young guy kicked in the door of an elderly woman and beat her to death. He wanted money to buy meth. She didn't have any. So he killed her. At least that's the story I heard. It happened around 6am. It gave me a lot to think about. I am no longer a young man and would probably be hard pressed to win, hand to hand, against a 20 something intent on getting what he needs.

Top Bottom