Who is in charge of the security of your couple?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I read in another thread that a wife wouldnt carry her gun when her husband doesnt because she thought that as the husband he was the "head of the family" and he was the one who had to provide security.

I think that there is no such thing as "head of the family" and that both people in the couple are equal and both have the duty to protect eachother and the family.

What do you guys think?
    Is there someone in charge of the security in your family?
    If you are the husband do you rely on your wife? (:D there is nothing wrong about that if she's a better shooter than you are)
    If you are the wife, do you rely on your husband?

marriage-marriage-guns-demotivational-poster-1229893630.jpg

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I don't see a problem with a family group defining a "head of the family" if that's what works for them. I remember the thread in question and I don't personally agree with the social structure the poster's question reflected, but what they do is their business.

In my house, I'm more likely to be packing heat, but we both do when the conditions are right. I don't feel (and I don't think she does either) that one or the other bears primary responsibility for family security.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I don't see a problem with a family group defining a "head of the family" if that's what works for them. I remember the thread in question and I don't personally agree with the social structure the poster's question reflected, but what they do is their business.

In my house, I'm more likely to be packing heat, but we both do when the conditions are right. I don't feel (and I don't think she does either) that one or the other bears primary responsibility for family security.

I concure!

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I honestly would rather make sure that she is more preprepared for an attack then I am. If something were to happen to her when I'm not around i would hate myself.
    My wife and I both carry and we both take Krav Maga together and let me tell you she will kick some butt without needing the gun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I honestly would rather make sure that she is more preprepared for an attack then I am. If something were to happen to her when I'm not around i would hate myself.
    My wife and I both carry and we both take Krav Maga together and let me tell you she will kick some butt without needing the gun.

:yesway:
    I agree.She has more chance to get attacked and you cant always be around.And the hand-to-hand combat is a great thing.I see so many people who just buy a gun and think that they are armed but they couldnt fight if someone tried to take away their gun.
    Do you fight against her in Krav Maga class? :D

Deldorado

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    I'm in charge over my wife. I have actually seen my wife in an emergency situation......trust me, nobody wants her to have a loaded firearm in her hands!

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I would have to say that I am the one in charge especially in times of an emergency. Not because the typical "I'm the man" ego senario, but rather due to training. I've been in more situations, been through more training, am more familiar with firearms, better skilled, etc. All that being said, my wife would agree 100% with the above mentioned statements, but she would also be working along side me the entire time. She wouldn't hesitate to take charge of the situation if need be either though.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I am the first line of defense. Mama is to get the kids under her wing as far from danger as possible, call 9-1-1, and if she is armed-shoot anything that is not me that tries to get to her or the kids. So we are both in charge, just of slightly different things.

HB

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    I read in another thread that a wife wouldnt carry her gun when her husband doesnt because she thought that as the husband he was the "head of the family" and he was the one who had to provide security.

I'll concede that the wife shouldn't carry when the man doesn't, but since the man is carrying all the time, who cares? :D

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    :yesway:
    I agree.She has more chance to get attacked and you cant always be around.And the hand-to-hand combat is a great thing.I see so many people who just buy a gun and think that they are armed but they couldnt fight if someone tried to take away their gun.
    Do you fight against her in Krav Maga class? :D

Yeah her and I go around here in there in class. I usually try to let her partner with some of the other men so that way she can have experience with men of different sizes.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My wife would NEVER consider carrying a gun. She absolutely hates guns of any kind and always gives me a hard time and a dirty look when I carry. I guess she believes in a higher power for protection.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I'd say neither of us is actually in charge of security. Or more, accurately, we are both responsible. Since I actually find myself in higher risk situations, my husband bought me a handgun, (which we had discussed many times, so he knew I was wanting one.) But doesn't carry one himself, although that may change soon.

Overall, we both have our own strengths and weaknesses, so we let that decide who is "in charge" of any given element of our life together, but we always discuss things.

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    While my wife and I both have lifetime personal protection permits, I am the go to guy for protection, both at home and in public. I carry every day, and usually with two handguns. She has never carried, but is comfortable with every handgun we have in the home. She knows where they are, and is prepared to use any one of them if need be.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I am in charge of security. My wife has no problem with me buying, selling, or going out shooting my guns. She has her own hobbies.
    If there is a noise outside I am the one that investigates.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    In my house I guess I'm the one in charge of security because the cat just runs and hides under the bed at any strange noises. :)

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    I'm definitely in charge. My wife is OK with me/us having a gun but wants nothing to do with it on a day-to-day basis. She is also the type to panic, so the responsibility falls squarely on me (right where I like it).

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Not my "wife" but girlfreind of 7+ years....
    I carry about 80% of the time, my girlfreind carry's 99.99% of the time. I think that the criminal would be focused on me, we have talked about it and our master plan is that I divert attention while she gets her 226 out.
    It makes me fell much more secure knowing that I have her behind me, she is very familiar with her weapon and I am confident she would defend us by any means necessary.

Top Bottom