• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Are we talking about any business, or just gun-related ones?

I know a lot of people hate on Cheaper Than Dirt, but in non-panic times, they do have some really good deals. I understand supply and demand, and the pricing that comes with this. I don't hold that against them.

For vehicles, I have bought several from O'Brien Toyota. I can't say enough about good it is to deal with them. They know that when I want to buy, I ain't screwing around, and the only thing that matters is negotiating the price.

For insurance, 3 years ago, I would have said Nationwide, but I can't say that any more. They threw away a customer of over 20 years with their BS.

My old transfer FFL quit the business, so I found a new one, and he's great. Really nice guy, but I won't mention his name here without permission.

Pop Guns used to be awesome, and gave me some really good deals, because they also understood that when I wanted to buy, we had to meet on the price. Don't know what they're like now since the ownership/ name change. My kids loved the Newfoudland that ran around behind the counter.

Beech Grove Firearms has always been awesome to me, but I haven't been there in a couple years. Maybe longer, I'd have to check my receipts.

And F AT&T. I will never do business with them again.

Cheaper the Dirt has a screaming deal in 9mm. 50 round box of S&B fmj for $59.99, makes me want to scream.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    Brian's Surplus, can order items is he doesn't have it in stock and great customer service

A&A Optics, great prices, if you don't know exactly what you want he will point you in the right direction and fast shipping.

Kempf Gun Shop, very helpful in answering question about reloading, have reloading components and limits primer purchases

Femme Fatale Guns & Sporting, great customer service, good selection of firearms and a Glock Blue Label Dealer.

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My vote is to Alan and A&A Optics. Fair pricing even when product is in short supply, tells you what he thinks about your needs in optics, and very good service. He doesn't have a MBA in business but does a darn good job of understanding how to keep a customer. Just my two cents.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

i agree on optics!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This.

Been to Indy Gun Bunker a couple of times (surplus side) and the fella running that show seems to get customer service right too.

I just looked at Indy Gun Bunker's website. This part bothers me:

• Firearms must be paid in full before background check can be called into NICS
      Background checks can take from 5 minutes UP TO 3 business days to complete
      Straw Sale: It is a felony to purchase a firearm for a person who is restricted by law from purchasing or possessing a firearm.

• It is purchaser’s responsibility to be aware of their personal history, not the FFL holder. There will be a 25% restocking fee for all sales DENIED by FBI. If denied, the dealer will provide purchaser with the NICS appeals form. Appeals can take up to 6 months.

I've never heard of a shop doing that before. Is this a common practice? I mean, I guess the purchase has to be completed in order to report the sale to NICS, but the restocking fee is a bit much.

P.S. I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier, but got a couple of replies that makes it sound like this is not all that uncommon. Guess I've been lucky.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area

Straw Sale: It is a felony to purchase a firearm for a person who is restricted by law from purchasing or possessing a firearm.

• It is purchaser’s responsibility to be aware of their personal history, not the FFL holder. There will be a 25% restocking fee for all sales DENIED by FBI. If denied, the dealer will provide purchaser with the NICS appeals form. Appeals can take up to 6 months.

I've never heard of a shop doing that before. Is this a common practice? I mean, I guess the purchase has to be completed in order to report the sale to NICS, but the restocking fee is a bit much.

P.S. I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier, but got a couple of replies that makes it sound like this is not all that uncommon. Guess I've been lucky.

I have purchased quite a few guns in shops all over northern Indiana. I have never paid for the gun before the paperwork and check were completed and good to go. Seems like a low way to make a buck. I understand getting wrongly denied is probably rare but knowing the competence of the Gov. I'm sure it happens. I have also been lucky and not been denied or delayed for a gun purchase so far.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have purchased quite a few guns in shops all over northern Indiana. I have never paid for the gun before the paperwork and check were completed and good to go. Seems like a low way to make a buck. I understand getting wrongly denied is probably rare but knowing the competence of the Gov. I'm sure it happens. I have also been lucky and not been denied or delayed for a gun purchase so far.
    Frankly I think the restocking fee is BS. So you take the gun out of the case, guy pays for it, gets denied. You're going to charge 25% to what... put it back in the case? So on a $1K gun you've just pocketed 250 bucks for 5 seconds worth of work. Nice gig if you can get it I guess, but seems shady to me.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Try to use LGS from all over the country. Will not buy anything with foreign ties if I can help it. Cars, scopes or guns and ammo. It takes more than a MAGA vote. Gotta walk the talk.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Try to use LGS from all over the country. Will not buy anything with foreign ties if I can help it. Cars, scopes or guns and ammo. It takes more than a MAGA vote. Gotta walk the talk.

That's all well and good, if U.S. makers would produce a comparable product at a comparable price. But in many cases they don't so why reward mediocrity when a clearly superior product is available at a comparable price?

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Cheaper the Dirt has a screaming deal in 9mm. 50 round box of S&B fmj for $59.99, makes me want to scream.

I understand what you think about that. If you take it a little further though, you get to this:

CTD keeps their price at whatever is normal for S&B 9mm. Let's say $15 a box. Joe Bochemongola, not a retailer, just a mouth-breathing capitalist, maxes out his credit cards and buys ALL of it that CTD has in stock. Then he lists it all on Armslist for $60 a box. Let's say you don't just want this ammo, but you NEED it. You haven't prepared, riots could pop up at any time in your area, and you don't have enough ammo to mount a proper defense of you, your family, and your home.

Given that the price is the same, who would you rather enrich with your purchase? The retailer, who increases profits and probably capital so his business survives the panic? Or Joe Bochemongola, who ain't going to have **** for you when the panic ends?

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy

I haven't seen this in person for a long time, but I have heard of it more recently. The first time I experienced it in person was about 20 years ago when me and one of my Army buddies were doing a "Gun Run". This was where we would get "The Itch", and run around all day looking in every gun shop and pawn shop around the base, looking for deals, and making notes, and maybe having to go back to a shop for the best price. You know "The Itch", right? Don't need a new gun, just want one (or two). :):

I went to one shop where I found a really good deal on a pistol. I was ready to buy on the spot. This was only my second purchase under NICS, and my first had been delayed just long enough for me to get home and have my wife give me the message that my rifle was ready to be picked up, as they had gotten a proceed. Anyways, back to the pistol. The guy rang it up, and asked me how I wanted to pay. I asked about the 4473, and he told me they don't start that until after I pay. Of course, I asked what happens if I got denied, because even back then I had heard about false denials. He said if I got denied, there would be a 10% restock fee. I'm glad my Mother wasn't there to hear the rest of the conversation. ;)

So, Indy Gun Bunker is now on my "Do Not Do Business With" spreadsheet. Thanks for the heads up. :cheers:

shawnppickett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Indianapolis

I suspect he does this with intent on cutting down on people coming in to try and buy a gun that don't have a chance of passing a background check, but I'm still not inclined to risk 25% of the purchase price of a gun staying in his pocket if the government messes up. Had a buddy that bought a gun that it took forever for Rural King to get to him because of a background check SNAFU, is suspect if he'd gone to Indy Gun Bunker he'd have been out ~ $75.00.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I suspect he does this with intent on cutting down on people coming in to try and buy a gun that don't have a chance of passing a background check, but I'm still not inclined to risk 25% of the purchase price of a gun staying in his pocket if the government messes up. Had a buddy that bought a gun that it took forever for Rural King to get to him because of a background check SNAFU, is suspect if he'd gone to Indy Gun Bunker he'd have been out ~ $75.00.
    Generally speaking, any business that charges a "restocking fee" is an automatic no-go for me. I could see it if it was a special order or something, but if restocking involves bending over and putting the gun back in the case? No. Not happening.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    My LGS in Niles, MI; The Firing Pin, is a great local family owned gun store that has been around for many many years. They are really nice people, very knowledgeable, have great prices, and go out of their way to get what I need. Michiana Firearms in Plymouth also has a great selection and has really grown. Online, I've had great luck with Primary Arms, Palmetto State Armory, Greg Cote LLC, Olight, and Ochocos Outdoors.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Quite a few folks try to do straw purchases or know they wont pass rhe background check, but for some odd reason think try number 27 will magically work.

I have no problem w the restocking fee.

After seeing how many folks try to do straw purchases, or think a felony just evaporates in 10 yrs.....or less LOL

Am cool w a shop putting up a notice/ wall to possibly reduce such nonsense. Wallet pain is about all most folks can remember.

Top Bottom