• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Understanding profit is not a bad word. And we all expect to spend a little more when demand goes up and supply down. But seems like there are the ones that will rail people on prices given the chance.

Nice surprise at Rural king today went in to use the restroom and low and behold quite a bit of ammo on the shelf, well for current times anyway. They had some 7.62x39 so I grabbed a few boxes, although I really did not NEED them but $8.00 for 40 rounds so why not.

We buy a lot of stuff at RK nice to know they are remaining consistent in their pricing.

So who have you found that will keep your business?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    My LGS. High or low, I want him there. I paid maybe 125 more for my last big purchase from him than I would have had to pay at RK, a FN 45 Tac. That’s a lot, and that’s about my limit, but I want him there.
    Same theory with our little hometown hardware store, and restaurants.
    I appreciate RK too, but I root for the underdog as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For guns, Marksmans in Westfield will always be my first option. For AR parts SNR in Plainfield is my first stop.

Wish I was close to Marksman. I see him post some good stuff online for good prices and of course it moves fast. If I was nearby I could see stopping in there frequently and making many unplanned purchases.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Who keeps my business....the sellers that have what I want at a price acceptable to me. If they don't have what I want, well they won't loose future business with me. If they have what I want, but at a price that is not acceptable to me, they could potentially lose future business.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Bass N Bucks and the Gun Club are the two I am sticking with, Hoosier Armory can go get bent , $750 for a new Gen 5 Glock 19 with ammo prices much higher than everyone else.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Who keeps my business....the sellers that have what I want at a price acceptable to me. If they don't have what I want, well they won't loose future business with me. If they have what I want, but at a price that is not acceptable to me, they could potentially lose future business.

This...and Culvers

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    My vote is to Alan and A&A Optics. Fair pricing even when product is in short supply, tells you what he thinks about your needs in optics, and very good service. He doesn't have a MBA in business but does a darn good job of understanding how to keep a customer. Just my two cents.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My vote is to Alan and A&A Optics. Fair pricing even when product is in short supply, tells you what he thinks about your needs in optics, and very good service. He doesn't have a MBA in business but does a darn good job of understanding how to keep a customer. Just my two cents.

Jump62
    aka Paul

He gave you a copy of his college transcripts with your purchase. I have several excellent purchases from him and he never gave me a copy.
    I must not be one of the cool kids. :dunno:

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island
    I haven't ask to see a Transcript or a CV either, my last line of work was a Computer Systems Analyst and have worked with MBA grads who couldn't give a direct answer to a direct question. Everything in retail is simple, but simple things are difficult if I may paraphrase Clausewitz. Alan does a very good and honest job, but my Vortex stuff is wanting it's own shelf in my gun stuff closet.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Applied Ballistics, and Geneo's, both in Lafayette.
    Both have great people, and reasonable enough prices.
    I also trade small handy-man jobs to both for small remunerations.
    I don't pay transfer fees, and I haven't paid any transfer fees for more than a decade.
    One of the perks of getting to know your local gun shop proprietors.

You'll never get that type of service, or friendship, shopping exclusively at someplace like Rural King, or online.
    I like Rural King, and I patronize them when I can, but I will always look at Applied Ballistics or Geneo's first.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Applied Ballistics, and Geneo's, both in Lafayette.
    Both have great people, and reasonable enough prices.
    I also trade small handy-man jobs to both for small remunerations.
    I don't pay transfer fees, and I haven't paid any transfer fees for more than a decade.
    One of the perks of getting to know your local gun shop proprietors.

You'll never get that type of service, or friendship, shopping exclusively at someplace like Rural King, or online.
    I like Rural King, and I patronize them when I can, but I will always look at Applied Ballistics or Geneo's first.

Well depends RK gets a lot of our business, for items other than Gun Stuff. The staff at ours is top notch, your mileage may vary. one of the Lady’s at RK breeds goats also and we share a lot of knowledge.

Funny story about the guy that owns the pawn shop at the Shell he is a a FFL as well. He lives behind us a ways and he was talking about having a rough time getting some fence post put in. Amazing what showing up with a tractor and auger will do for a friendship lol.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Chris at Marksman has always treated me very well. Derrick who took over Bare Arms has turned it into a great place. Both get at least a weekly visit.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    very nice feel good posts.
    retail is not simple....
    An MBA is nice to have ....if you don't have access to solid financial & tax advice.

Small business in gun & sporting goods is very tough and margins are too thin even for large retailers like RK.

Enjoy the deals WHERE EVER you find them.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Freedom Reloads & Arms in Linden. Best place for reloading supplies. Prices are about as good as you will find online without the hazmat fee although primers are still hard to get. Full FFL and their firearm prices are fair. One thing I really appreciate is he has only raised his prices to reflect the added cost to him. One of the better places I've done business with in a long time.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Are we talking about any business, or just gun-related ones?

I know a lot of people hate on Cheaper Than Dirt, but in non-panic times, they do have some really good deals. I understand supply and demand, and the pricing that comes with this. I don't hold that against them.

For vehicles, I have bought several from O'Brien Toyota. I can't say enough about good it is to deal with them. They know that when I want to buy, I ain't screwing around, and the only thing that matters is negotiating the price.

For insurance, 3 years ago, I would have said Nationwide, but I can't say that any more. They threw away a customer of over 20 years with their BS.

My old transfer FFL quit the business, so I found a new one, and he's great. Really nice guy, but I won't mention his name here without permission.

Pop Guns used to be awesome, and gave me some really good deals, because they also understood that when I wanted to buy, we had to meet on the price. Don't know what they're like now since the ownership/ name change. My kids loved the Newfoudland that ran around behind the counter.

Beech Grove Firearms has always been awesome to me, but I haven't been there in a couple years. Maybe longer, I'd have to check my receipts.

And F AT&T. I will never do business with them again.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    The blue heron ice cream shop snd A&G gun supply in kendallville. Lately hes been low on supply of both guns and ammo but when he does have it, its a fair price. Also the blue heron has this spongebob ice cream thats yellow cake batter flavor with sugar cookie dough bites. Im a huge fan of both places.

Top Bottom