• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I've been using WSF for 45 acp and 9mm quite a bit recently. It works well with cast and fmj bullets. I plan on using it in 38 special as well, I just have not done it yet.
    I'm curious to hear what folks say about 357 mag and 44 mag especially. Seems like it would be a good choice for mild loads but there is not much data out there for it.
    Hodgon lists load data for:
    32 H&R Mag
    327 Fed Mag
    9mm
    38 Super +P
    357 Sig
    40 S+W
    10mm
    45 ACP

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Would like to know how it works in 38sp also. I've been reading about WSF but have yet to see any anywhere. It come out right after the Lyman #49 book was released.

There are a lot new powders out there now.

scrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    West Central
    I use WSF whenever I can. Currently loading 9mm, 40 S&W, and 12 Gauge. Seems to burn cleaner than other powders I have tried and it meters well. Great for heavy 12gauge loads.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I have used WSF in 38 super and 40 S&W for a long time. It is among the best for these two.
    I haven't tried it in 38 special or 45 ACP. I have a winchester loading manual from when the powder
    was first released. There was no load data for 38 special or 44mag or 357mag.
    There is probably a good reason for it. When you start trying these kinds of things,
    if you notice any inconsistencies, it is better to try a different powder.
    I had some real sporadic loads with WST in 38 super. But it is great in 38 special and 45 ACP
    I think it has to do with pressure ranges.
    For 38 special, 231, titegroup, WST, Bullseye(current favorite) are proven powders.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I've read the WSF was the replacement of AA473. I'm going to send an email or make a call to confirm. There is apparently load data for magnum calibers in the Speer #11 manual for 473.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I was looking on line about the replacement for AA473. It has been awhile since that happened. I think the replacement was named WSL for super lite. I used some a long time ago. It wasn't good for what I was loading at the time 45ACP. It has been discontinued now.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I'll give Winchester a call in the morning. Hopefully they can clear it up some. Just as an FYI, I wouldn't use AA473 data as gospel for WSF. It would be interesting to see the loads for it back when it was available.
    From most of the charts compared to 231, WSF gives more velocity at lower pressure. That's one of the reasons I thought it would be a good powder for 357 and 44. Again, mild loads only.
    I'm going to look for a Speer #11 manual as well.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    That sounds like a good idea to call Winchester. They have probably tested it for those applications and will have good rationale for using it or not. My old winchester book does say that AA452 and AA473 were superceded by the super series without specifying whether the new powders were identical or which were the "replacements".

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    A call and email to Winchester resulted in being forwarded to Hodgon. I called Hodgon and Dave the customer service individual told me a few things that didn't really help with this particular situation. I did gain a little knowledge. He informaed me that Winchester had such a reputation for discontinuing powder several bullet makers would not extensively test Winchester powders. After Hodgon signed the liscensing agreement there was nothing wrote for them to test the powders themselves, so they don't. The only time the lab would work up a new load they would be testing a "new" bullet and then develop load data for a said powder. The powder choice is not exactly to develop more information for several powders, more likely to develop good ammunition.
    He agreed that WSF is a good all around powder and it looks like it would do well in several calibers. They have just not done any testing with it other than what I posted originally.
    I'm not giving up completely, but anything I load will definitely not be posted.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Have you looked at the Hodgdon.com reloading data page. I believe the aquired the Winchster powder line that was made by Olin. The Hodgdon Data is pretty good.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Yeah, It's solid info for sure. It just does not have anything for 38 special, 357 Magnum or 44 magnum. I can buy more powder no problem. It would be nice to have an all around with published data.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    A call and email to Winchester resulted in being forwarded to Hodgon. I called Hodgon and Dave the customer service individual told me a few things that didn't really help with this particular situation. I did gain a little knowledge. He informaed me that Winchester had such a reputation for discontinuing powder several bullet makers would not extensively test Winchester powders. After Hodgon signed the liscensing agreement there was nothing wrote for them to test the powders themselves, so they don't. The only time the lab would work up a new load they would be testing a "new" bullet and then develop load data for a said powder. The powder choice is not exactly to develop more information for several powders, more likely to develop good ammunition.
    He agreed that WSF is a good all around powder and it looks like it would do well in several calibers. They have just not done any testing with it other than what I posted originally.
    I'm not giving up completely, but anything I load will definitely not be posted.

That info fills in some blanks as to why there is not a lot of data out there. Question is how long they going to produce it if people don't buy it because there's no data? Seen some for sale and passed for that reason.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Well, I just tried it in 38 special a few minutes ago. I ran out of time so I only tried 1 bullet weight and 2 different charges. Both charges left a lot of unburnt powder. Both charges were fairly soft shooting with no signs of overpressure. I used data for a powder very close in burn rate and lowered the powder charge. I do not recommend doing this, just sharing what I did.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Well, I just tried it in 38 special a few minutes ago. I ran out of time so I only tried 1 bullet weight and 2 different charges. Both charges left a lot of unburnt powder. Both charges were fairly soft shooting with no signs of overpressure. I used data for a powder very close in burn rate and lowered the powder charge. I do not recommend doing this, just sharing what I did.

I don't recommend it either! I'd hate for someone just to randomly load some close powders. I think someone could do a little research and make something work, but there's more powder out there to choose from with published data.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I typically use w231 for 38 special. I use WSF for 9mm plated and lead.

:yesway:

231 has been kind of hard to find. That's one of the reasons I thought WSF would work well. I thought there may have been some more load data out there. I was wrong.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    That info fills in some blanks as to why there is not a lot of data out there. Question is how long they going to produce it if people don't buy it because there's no data? Seen some for sale and passed for that reason.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe if Hodgon gets a lot of questions about WSF they'll start filling in the blanks.

Top Bottom