Why are some law-enforcement against the Second Amendment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I'm just saying you might as well ask "why do people suck?" or "why do certain folks break the law?" Some people just don't get it right. And no one has the same values as anyone else.

I guess I just expect better from law-enforcement. They are held to a higher standard, like it or not. And because of the respect they garner due to their position, they may sway good citizens who otherwise would side with law-abiding gun owners.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I guess I just expect better from law-enforcement. They are held to a higher standard, like it or not. And because of the respect they garner due to their position, they may sway good citizens who otherwise would side with law-abiding gun owners.

And I would personally agree they should be held to a higher standard. As nearly as I can tell, the INGO LE types hold themselves to a higher standard. But when you're talking about the many academies and thousands of agencies, there are bound to be a lot of standards. If you're talking Albuquerque, the bar seems to be set pretty low. And to a certain extent we are all a product of our training.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Not a leap in the least. The Second Amendment clearly states that the RIGHT of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall NOT be INFRINGED. Not a peep about unless law-enforcement feels it`s too risky...

i said I can see the appeal of a disarmed population if I were on officer.

i see the appeal of prostitution too. I see the appeal of embezzlement. I see the appeal of many things. Doesn't mean I would pursue them.

i can see why an officer might like it, that's all

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    i said I can see the appeal of a disarmed population if I were on officer.

i see the appeal of prostitution too. I see the appeal of embezzlement. I see the appeal of many things. Doesn't mean I would pursue them.

i can see why an officer would like it, that's all

But to the point of the statement you made, no, my response was not a "leap of logic" at all. If you claim law-abiding citizens have no right to keep and bear arms doc, then you`re dismissing the U.S. Constitution.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get what you`re saying, I seriously do. All I`m trying to say is that opinion doesn`t matter, the Second Amendment is law.

Okay. How about this.
    With the jury system, it is often not the law that determines the outcome of the trial, but showmanship.
    A defendant will often come in, nice suit, haircut, etc.
    What does that have to do with the law? Nothing.
    But humans are ruled by emotions and opinions.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Okay. How about this.
    With the jury system, it is often not the law that determines the outcome of the trial, but showmanship.
    A defendant will often come in, nice suit, haircut, etc.
    What does that have to do with the law? Nothing.
    But humans are ruled by emotions and opinions.

Yessir, I get that...but I stand by the law of the land...

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    But to the point of the statement you made, no, my response was not a "leap of logic" at all. If you claim law-abiding citizens have no right to keep and bear arms doc, then you`re dismissing the U.S. Constitution.

I don't think the doc meant it like that.

I think he was saying that an officer would like a disarmed population because he would be less likely to get shot.
    Though we all know that even if people were barred from legally carrying, some would just carry illegally and said cop may get shot anyways.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Not a leap in the least. The Second Amendment clearly states that the RIGHT of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall NOT be INFRINGED. Not a peep about unless law-enforcement feels it`s too risky...

To go a step further, why is it just officers who should not have a problem with the populations right to bear arms?

We should be just as sickened by the Supreme Court that doesn't like to protect that right--since it is their job to uphold the constitution and all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I agree with you. But that doesn't change the fact that I can see some officers liking that. As was said above, sentiments in any population are a bell curve

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A factor you have to consider is that police officers are earning a living from the state and the government that they work for may be populated with people who are anti 2A. You won't see many raises or advance far if you publicly disagree with your bosses.

Always follow the money

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    A factor you have to consider is that police officers are earning a living from the state and the government that they work for may be populated with people who are anti 2A. You won't see many raises or advance far if you publicly disagree with your bosses.

Always follow the money

Thank God for the Oath Keepers...

Top Bottom