• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I think Glocks were VERY innovative and single-handedly created an entire market/type of handgun. BUT over the last few years S&W and Springfield have taken the Glock concept and IMPROVED it 10 fold IMHO. The Glock grip even with the smallest Gen 4 back-strap installed STILL FEELS LIKE A 2x4...albeit a plastic one. I just can't understand how anyone could pick up an XDm with it's awesome curved (almost revolver like) grip and not be impressed. After feeling an XDm (and to a lesser extent the S&W M&P) the Glock grip is just not acceptable. And of course the stock sights are horrible.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock was innovative at the time. They created a rugged, reliable, inexpensive service sidearm. They basically led the charge towards a new generation of firearms. Even today Glock is highly regarded. There are now other polymer, striker fired pistols on the market that I do believe are of equal quality and reliability as Glock. Many of these have yet to earn their stripes as service/duty pistols.

Some Examples: Walther PPQ/P99, S&W M&P, XDm, SR9, FNS (I know very little about the HK VP9 or Sig striker pistols)

That said I am currently recommending Glock and M&P over many of the other choices. PPQ still lacks aftermarket support for holsters/sights, XDm has a grip safety design that I do not care for. SR9 & FNS has the manual safeties. I think these are all fine guns but the Glocks and M&Ps are the current market leaders.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I always love reading these, "Hate Glock" threads. This or that gun is "better". The grip is better. The sights line up better. It's thinner. It's thicker. It looks better. It has a "safety". It was designed by Mario Frankovitch, who's father used to make sausage in Vienna. It doesn't "bite" my hand like my Poodle and my Glock does. It's safer. It draws quicker. I wouldn't buy a Glock because Gaston used to screw strippers on his jet. The front sight on the XZ-2100 is ramped. It's this, and it's that......In the end Glock makes them all look as if they're running in slow motion. They out sell, out shoot, and out last all the others. And in the process keep the whiners whining. Ya' gotta love it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bill you had me in complete agreement up until the comment about Glocks out selling, out shooting and out lasting all others. Don't get me wrong I like Glocks. I have shoot thousands of rounds through my Glock. I shoot Glock well. But there are pistols I shoot better and pistols I fully expect to last longer. Glocks are affordable pieces of equipment that gets the job done. Really no better or worse just well supported and popular. They are a great choice for a defensive, general shooting or USPSA pistol.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Glock has documented many range rental guns that have gone well past 1,000,000 rounds, (read 1 MILLION). And are still in service, banging away daily. These guns get little, if any lubrication, and maintenance. There is no doubt a Glock given reasonable care, will out last anything in it's class. And many guns that cost considerably more.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock has documented many range rental guns that have gone well past 1,000,000 rounds, (read 1 MILLION). And are still in service, banging away daily. These guns get little, if any lubrication, and maintenance. There is no doubt a Glock given reasonable care, will out last anything in it's class. And many guns that cost considerably more.

No doubt but there are also Glocks that have gone KaBoom or came from the factory defective. Really no different then saying people have a Ford Taurus with 300k miles while others blow the trannys at 60k. What you describe is simply an indication that there are a lot of Glocks out there. Now I am not getting down on Glocks, like I mentioned I am a fan. They are really no better or worse. What they are is the current industry standard. Which is why I do and will continue to recommend them to potential gun buyers

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I'll put it this way. I own dozens of different types of pistols and revolvers. They run the gamut in cost and quality. If I had to pick one to care for and shoot until it failed, in an attempt to get the most mileage possible, I would choose one of my Glock's. I feel that I would have the best odds in accomplishing that goal by choosing that pistol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll put it this way. I own dozens of different types of pistols and revolvers. They run the gamut in cost and quality. If I had to pick one to care for and shoot until it failed, in an attempt to get the most mileage possible, I would choose one of my Glock's. I feel that I would have the best odds in accomplishing that goal by choosing that pistol.

I will go along with that logic, so long as we are talking about a 9mm Glock 17 or 19. I am not so sure I would take that bet with a sub compact or Glock chambered in .40 S&W.

I will mention/share that I think the full size M&P series is a beefier design then the Glock. The M&P was designed around the .40 cartridge and then adapted to 9mm as opposed to the 9mm Glock being essentially modified for the .40S&W. What the M&P does not have is the field history of the Glock. Time will tell.

If we are talking about simple longevity of the frame and slide (i.e. we are not considering spring and part replacement) then all bets are off. I have a couple of 1911s that I expect to take many 10s of thousands of rounds. Then the guns could be rebuilt and go some more.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Glock has a perfect trigger and there's nothing wrong with its ergonomics. It's the most durable handgun ever made

:whistle:

I am honestly not sure if this is a true comment or if IB has not yet learned about Purple.

Glock has a usable trigger that is adequate for the purposes that the gun was designed for. The ergonomics are functional and not nearly as bad as the 1911/Xd guys make it out to be, but lets face it they are not regarded as being natural pointers. They have a reputation of being durable; however, I have seen more then one Glock with cracks in the frame. Even so who cares because they are basically disposable. Plus even with pieces missing they still go bang.

Iron Brigadier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    Bloomington
    Glock has a usable trigger that is adequate for the purposes that the gun was designed for. The ergonomics are functional and not nearly as bad as the 1911/Xd guys make it out to be, but lets face it they are not regarded as being natural pointers. They have a reputation of being durable; however, I have seen more then one Glock with cracks in the frame. Even so who cares because they are basically disposable. Plus even with pieces missing they still go bang.

Agreed. But, I have been told that most of the Glocks that had the catastrophic failures were chambered in .40

Last edited:
    Top Bottom