• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I don't need an AR-15. I don't need a long gun of any sort. Color me strange. I don't need to watch a 30 minute video to arrive at that decision, either way. Much like I don't need a M1A1 Tank. Absolutes, are absolutely... wrong.
    If you watched the video (or even tried to interpret the title using basic common sense) you'd realize that it wasn't about claiming an absolute necessity for every single individual to own an AR-15, but rather about the fact that if individuals wish to live in a society with any degree of freedom from government oppression, and a reasonable ability to defend themselves from criminals, then yes, there absolutely needs to be a right for civilians to own weapons like the AR-15 if they so wish.

The reason he chose that phrasing was specifically to refute oft-made claim by the left that "No one needs an AR-15."

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm of the belief that every American should be taught marksmanship early in life and that every American should keep an effective rifle and a cache of ammunition at home.

Living up to the responsibilities of being an American citizen has nothing to do with what a person likes. We are a country that created a form of government that is of the people, by the people and for the people.

It's not about what someone likes or wants. It's a duty to maintain a strong general population. That starts with skills with a rifle.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I'm of the belief that every American should be taught marksmanship early in life and that every American should keep an effective rifle and a cache of ammunition at home.

Living up to the responsibilities of being an American citizen has nothing to do with what a person likes. We are a country that created a form of government that is of the people, by the people and for the people.

It's not about what someone likes or wants. It's a duty to maintain a strong general population. That starts with skills with a rifle.
    @88E30M50

^^^^^ THIS, a thousand times this ^^^^^

Write your State Legicritters and demand they require firearms safety and marksmanship as a component of a State sanctioned High School Diploma and to be a required part of a State required curriculum. I have.

Beyond the 2nd Amendment, there is USC 10, 246 b. 2.; and of course the Indiana Constitution.

ARTICLE 12.​

Militia.​

Section 1. A militia shall be provided and shall consist of all persons over the age of seventeen (17) years, except those persons who may be exempted by the laws of the United States or of this state. The militia may be divided into active and inactive classes and consist of such military organizations as may be provided by law.
    (History: As Amended November 3, 1936; November 5, 1974).​

Section 2. The Governor is Commander-in-Chief of the militia and other military forces of this state.
    (History: As Amended November 5, 1974).​

Section 3. There shall be an Adjutant General, who shall be appointed by the Governor.

Section 4. No person, conscientiously opposed to bearing arms, shall be compelled to do so in the militia.

Our young citizens need to be taught not just their Rights, but their responsibilities, their duties, and the skills to carry them out.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if we went back to again requiring all members of the Militia to have "powder and ball, and a suitable arm" (From the original Militia Act of 1792 "...That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder;...")

How many rounds of 5.56 to the quarter pound of powder?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    If you watched the video (or even tried to interpret the title using basic common sense) you'd realize that it wasn't about claiming an absolute necessity for every single individual to own an AR-15, but rather about the fact that if individuals wish to live in a society with any degree of freedom from government oppression, and a reasonable ability to defend themselves from criminals, then yes, there absolutely needs to be a right for civilians to own weapons like the AR-15 if they so wish.

The reason he chose that phrasing was specifically to refute oft-made claim by the left that "No one needs an AR-15."
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that any/every free people NEED the right to arm themselves, in (almost) whatever manner they choose. History is rife with examples to the contrary.

It seems odd to me that the entire purpose of the absolutist statement, "Everyone needs an AR-15" is to counter another absolutist statement, "No one needs an AR-15." Both statements are equally ridiculous. Perhaps a better title would be, "Let's have a reasonable discussion about firearms." I know, it's been tried. Many unreasonable people think no private citizen should EVER own any type of gun. Some of these same unreasonable people HIRE folks with guns to protect them from other folks with guns. They can't be made to see the lunacy of their position. It is up to those who understand the issue to protect EVERYONE from those who don't.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    It is certainly true that teaching firearms use and safety, to our children, SHOULD be a national requirement. I don't see that going anywhere. All Americans should also know CPR, math, English, balancing a checkbook, credit management, physics, driving a manual transmission, changing a flat tire, how to fail gracefully, etc.... Our society is doing a P!$$ poor job of all of it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I wholeheartedly agree with you that any/every free people NEED the right to arm themselves, in (almost) whatever manner they choose. History is rife with examples to the contrary.

It seems odd to me that the entire purpose of the absolutist statement, "Everyone needs an AR-15" is to counter another absolutist statement, "No one needs an AR-15." Both statements are equally ridiculous. Perhaps a better title would be, "Let's have a reasonable discussion about firearms." I know, it's been tried. Many unreasonable people think no private citizen should EVER own any type of gun. Some of these same unreasonable people HIRE folks with guns to protect them from other folks with guns. They can't be made to see the lunacy of their position. It is up to those who understand the issue to protect EVERYONE from those who don't.
    I agree that the title could have been more accurate, but it didn't strike me as being meant to be taken literally.

I also think he was trying to be deliberately provocative to increase the chance of someone watching the video. Perhaps he would defend this as a way to get people from the other side to watch the video (I admit I've fallen for this, too; clicking on a video because the title sounded so ridiculous as to make me angry.)

At the end of the day it was an informative and useful video, with an unfortunate "clickbaity" title.

So the only thing I would really disagree with you on is that "Everyone needs an AR-15" and "No one needs an AR-15" are equally ridiculous. The 2nd statement is far more ridiculous than the latter, because it is simply false, while at least with the 1st statement, if you don't interpret it literally, it is actually about as true as any over-generalization can be.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    @88E30M50

^^^^^ THIS, a thousand times this ^^^^^

Write your State Legicritters and demand they require firearms safety and marksmanship as a component of a State sanctioned High School Diploma and to be a required part of a State required curriculum. I have.

Beyond the 2nd Amendment, there is USC 10, 246 b. 2.; and of course the Indiana Constitution.

ARTICLE 12.​

Militia.​

Section 1. A militia shall be provided and shall consist of all persons over the age of seventeen (17) years, except those persons who may be exempted by the laws of the United States or of this state. The militia may be divided into active and inactive classes and consist of such military organizations as may be provided by law.​
    (History: As Amended November 3, 1936; November 5, 1974).​

Section 2. The Governor is Commander-in-Chief of the militia and other military forces of this state.​

Section 3. There shall be an Adjutant General, who shall be appointed by the Governor.​

Section 4. No person, conscientiously opposed to bearing arms, shall be compelled to do so in the militia.​

Our young citizens need to be taught not just their Rights, but their responsibilities, their duties, and the skills to carry them out.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if we went back to again requiring all members of the Militia to have "powder and ball, and a suitable arm" (From the original Militia Act of 1792 "...That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch, with a box therein, to contain not less than twenty four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball; or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch, and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder;...")

How many rounds of 5.56 to the quarter pound of powder?
    ^^^ +1

~305 rounds @ 23grains/rnd? Doable!

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    I don't need an AR-15. I don't need a long gun of any sort. Color me strange. I don't need to watch a 30 minute video to arrive at that decision, either way. Much like I don't need a M1A1 Tank. Absolutes, are absolutely... wrong.
    I don't need AN AR-15 either! That's why I have built three now. LMBO.

Lodge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Johnson Co.
    Bullet trauma... Bad juju!

I love the AR platform. Low recoil. Easy to place accurate shots at home/personal defense distances.
    Standard capacity of 30 rounds. Quick magazine changes.

Effective way to be very adequately armed.

SF_meat_target_detail.jpg

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I wouldn't characterize it as "needs" - but "should have". Indeed, one "should have" not just one, but two, or three or four, or better yet, a half-dozen! Let the different calibers proliferate in a personal armory!

Long Past Time Militia Member AR-15.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a stripped lower in the safe that I paid $29.95 for.
    I'd like to see you find that deal now, even for Black Friday.

I'll wait...
    Why have you not finished that build? I just spent $110 on an Ingo lower and I'll have a grand in the gun when I'm finished. Still cheaper than losing your freedom to the government.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why have you not finished that build? I just spent $110 on an Ingo lower and I'll have a grand in the gun when I'm finished. Still cheaper than losing your freedom to the government.
    Because there are others ahead of it in the que.
    I also purchased one of the 2024 Ingo lowers.
    Haven't decided which way to go with it either.

I'm running out of new calibers to build up AR's.

Top Bottom