Why is it so hard to get .22 ammo anymore ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    [video=youtube;6lyEQD-DgyE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lyEQD-DgyE[/video]

Consumer driven stockpile craze.

[video=youtube;vcXIxlIxh10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcXIxlIxh10[/video]

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Couple years ago finished a midnight shift from work, stopped by WallyMart, and found 5 or 6 "cruiser guys" standing by the ammo display case. They were waiting for the stockers to appear, grab up all the 22lr ammo. Walked away, shook my head, said to self: These guys are nuts, can find 22lr ammo anyplace. NOT.

Bought a 12 ga shotgun. Find shells anywhere. Decided the 22lr guns will be safe queens till the insanity goes away. I am not against buying at a LGS, but bulk boxes of 300 + had been my norm. 50 ct boxes for 5$-? are plain out robbery. Yes I understand supply and demand. Yes I think old days prices are over. Have considered selling all the 22lr guns, buy 9mm or 45 cal, or something in between.

Good luck on your search. To hoarders and resellers: Choke on your ammo. You will never sell me a box. I will shop LGS, or Wally, or Gander, Cabellas, whomever.
    Like stolen tools: Won't help your business by promoting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple years ago finished a midnight shift from work, stopped by WallyMart, and found 5 or 6 "cruiser guys" standing by the ammo display case. They were waiting for the stockers to appear, grab up all the 22lr ammo. Walked away, shook my head, said to self: These guys are nuts, can find 22lr ammo anyplace. NOT.

Bought a 12 ga shotgun. Find shells anywhere. Decided the 22lr guns will be safe queens till the insanity goes away. I am not against buying at a LGS, but bulk boxes of 300 + had been my norm. 50 ct boxes for 5$-? are plain out robbery. Yes I understand supply and demand. Yes I think old days prices are over. Have considered selling all the 22lr guns, buy 9mm or 45 cal, or something in between.

Good luck on your search. To hoarders and resellers: Choke on your ammo. You will never sell me a box. I will shop LGS, or Wally, or Gander, Cabellas, whomever.
    :rockwoot:

tommy-t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Well just got back from Walmart and of course no .22 ammo whatsoever. Was talking to the guy behind the counter about it and he says they rarely get any in and when they do its not much and gone like hotcakes. I did see tho that they had some cheap .45ammo. 100rnd of Winchester .45 for $37.50, or aluminum case .45,50rnds for $15. Never shot aluminum cased ammo before (Brass Only) . Guy i know says it's good ammo and shoots it all the time. Might have to try it , I mean the case is soft aluminum so what could it hurt
    right ?

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Just happened to be in Castleton and Greenfield in the last few days so I stopped by GM. They both had CCI Mini Mags for $.08/round. They also had the 300 Choot Em packs and some random bricks too.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

They used to be called 'neckbeards'. Dont know if that is applicable anymore...

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    also ...if its an issue...learn to reload..its almost as cheap to shoot reloads as 22 at the stupid prices...i got rid of all 22LR because all the entry level people are advised to start with 22...all the new gun owners are buying boxes of 22 which makes it hard to get this crap....i hate 22 anyway...so its not me

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Around Bloomington, Rural King is the only place you'll find it. I got lucky at Dunham's in Bedford a while back (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...683-somebody-dunhams-bedford-gonna-angry.html) but have only found the target rounds at $12-$22/50rds since then. No way can I justify that price for what I do with it. I wish I lived closer to Indy or Terrible Haute (no offense if you're from there) so that I could have a Gander or more LGSs around.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Around Bloomington, Rural King is the only place you'll find it. I got lucky at Dunham's in Bedford a while back (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...683-somebody-dunhams-bedford-gonna-angry.html) but have only found the target rounds at $12-$22/50rds since then. No way can I justify that price for what I do with it. I wish I lived closer to Indy or Terrible Haute (no offense if you're from there) so that I could have a Gander or more LGSs around.

have you looked at trail dust?....he usually has some in stock...

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Not so hard to find nowadays. In the last three or so months, I have purchased around 2,500 rounds of both match and HV. Guess I've been getting lucky.

Top Bottom