• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have seen some failures. Most were directly related to not getting the grip safety depressed correctly. The magazines also seem to be less robust.
    No, I'm talking "I hope you brought a backup, because you are done for the day with this pistol" level of fail.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As in? I've yet to have any failures, nor have I seen any first hand at any class I've attended.
    I saw one, but I don’t recall what it was. I was only close enough to hear he was done and then he was able to borrow somebody’s spare to limp the rest of the class.

And the trainers I’ve heard discussing the issue online didn’t give specifics.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I've been carrying my XDm 3.8 compact for about 8 years now never had any issues with it at all. I traded in an M&P for it and am very happy with that choice. The XDm just shoots and feels better for me. I know several people with Xd's, XDm's, and XDs's and they all love theirs as well.

None of us are fudds, seems most of the fudds around here buy Glocks because the police carry them. But that's like buying something just because it's mil-spec, even though mil-spec just means it was the cheapest option to barely meet the requirements.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You mean like the ones those military and law enforcement special units are carrying today, the 1911?

Not really the same. Yes both grip safeties but you can’t compare an XD to a tuned up 1911. I am an avid 1911 guy with 10s of thousands of rounds down range. The XD is just not the same. Something about that dinky little grip safety can be missed sometimes. I like the feel of the XDs but somehow they are still a swing and miss for me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You mean like the ones those military and law enforcement special units are carrying today, the 1911?
    Yes. Exactly that. Grip safeties are stupid and unnecessary. A remnant of the US Army's horse cavalry days. I'd bet a pretty penny that the grip safety is not the defining feature that leads a tiny subset of armed professionals to adopt the 1911 platform.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have a full size xd in 9mm i got roughly in 2009-10. Its my bedside pistol of choice. I love it. Its not the prettiest (i wouldnt have bought a two tone model). Today I would not buy one. They went so aggressive on the appearance, I just dont mesh with the xdm. I was young then and didnt really know what I liked in a handgun. Ive come to find I dont like safeties. I never knew they had a bad reputation on here though. This forum goes through fads though. I remember a lot more talk of kimbers back in the day.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes. Exactly that. Grip safeties are stupid and unnecessary. A remnant of the US Army's horse cavalry days. I'd bet a pretty penny that the grip safety is not the defining feature that leads a tiny subset of armed professionals to adopt the 1911 platform.

You are probably correct about the grip safety not being the defining feature. Its just that there is no real negative on a properly designed, modern 1911. Same can be said for the thumb safety. The defining feature is the trigger, but I digress.

I am not sure the grip safety is unnecessary on the XD. My understanding is the striker is fully cocked on an XD and it essentially works like a single action pistol. Without the grip safety you would be carrying a "cocked and unlocked" gun. Not unique, and doesn't even mean unsafe. But that is why that dingus is on the back of the grip. I wonder if the pistol would even be importable without it? Springfield, the oldest name in American firearms....imported from Croatia.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I am not sure the grip safety is unnecessary on the XD. My understanding is the striker is fully cocked on an XD and it essentially works like a single action pistol. Without the grip safety you would be carrying a "cocked and unlocked" gun. Not unique, and doesn't even mean unsafe. But that is why that dingus is on the back of the grip. I wonder if the pistol would even be importable without it? Springfield, the oldest name in American firearms....imported from Croatia.
    The whole XD single action operating system is unnecessary. I've owned a couple of XDs, and while the triggers weren't bad, they were nothing to write home about and not even in the same ballpark as any 1911. There are multiple striker fired pistols on the market with no grip safeties and far superior triggers. So what's the point, I wonder?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As they are being replaced by the XDM Elite.
    61a1835d1ec777d3793cffcb0243adcd.jpg
    Got a reply from Springfield. They said the XDM Elite is the new series and that a full size 10mm will be brought out later on in the 1st quarter of 2022. Maybe saving it to show at 2022 shot show?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    For me the XD series fails four ways. It’s imported. It’s ugly. It’s polymer. It’s striker fired. Other than that they are reliable good shooters.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    For me the XD series fails four ways. It’s imported. It’s ugly. It’s polymer. It’s striker fired. Other than that they are reliable good shooters.
    I feel like that's a perfect description for Glock as well. ;)

Not hating on Glock as I own 2. I also own 2 XDm's one in 40 and one in 45. Both have run flawlessly. I also had an original XD45 that I had run a few thousand rounds(mostly reloads) thru without a single issue. I even took it to a USPSA match and ran all day without a malfunction. I found it funny that a 1911 race gun someone in our group was using had several failures during the match.

If grip safeties are pointless/ useless then why is S&W putting them on their M&P line. I picked up one of them the other day and it actually felt like it would be painful to shoot as it didn't recess into the grip all the way.

I like the Glock and the XDm about the same. Both shoot well and are super reliable in my experience. The triggers are similar on both guns to me. They are decent but not bad enough to replace them with aftermarket kits. Neither are exceptionally pretty, but that's what my 1911's are for.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If grip safeties are pointless/ useless then why is S&W putting them on their M&P line.
    They aren't, except for the "EZ" models, which are obviously for people who aren't into firearms and just want something as "safe" as possible to collect dust in a drawer.

S&W also still puts Hillary Holes in their classic revolvers, so I'm not sure that their standard is a metric for what is pointless or useless.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    They aren't, except for the "EZ" models, which are obviously for people who aren't into firearms and just want something as "safe" as possible to collect dust in a drawer.

S&W also still puts Hillary Holes in their classic revolvers, so I'm not sure that their standard is a metric for what is pointless or useless.

The Shield EZ is a single action hammer fired pistol. Doesn’t look like one but it is. Having been super into the guts of one, own a couple and have worked with quite a few in the range had allowed me to form some strong opinions. But that would be another thread.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Shield EZ is a single action hammer fired pistol. Doesn’t look like one but it is. Having been super into the guts of one, own a couple and have worked with quite a few in the range had allowed me to form some strong opinions. But that would be another thread.

I'd be interested in that thread, should you make it. My dad has been making noises about getting one since his hands basically don't work as hands very well any longer.

Top Bottom