Why is this hobby so expensive... Or not s it just me???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    If you think this is expensive make sure to stay away from Ham Radio. THAT gets expensive.
    At this point, I have more money tied up in amateur radio equipment than firearms. But, I can see that comparison leveling out the more I get into firearms.

But, this is nothing compared to what I spent when I had my sports car racing addiction.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I'm not complaining in the least. I know how good I got it. Just wish my wallet could keep up with my want list. Its not a huge list, just expensive. You haven't been married that long. When me and Karena first got married, she told me no guns in the house. Clearly, I won that one.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Expensive? Yes. But I would argue firearms are the best expensive hobby to be "invested" in. Guns can be used for hunting/self-defense/bartering and don't really loose value. I can think of many other expensive ways to throw money down the toilet that don't have as many benefits.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Anybody ever convince your wife into letting you buy another gun, then on the way home you get the feeling she isn't exactly happy with you?

Oh well...I suppose that will happen again.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. I've been fishing and floating the rivers more this past year. I actually prefer floating rivers in my canoe, so it's not very expensive at all. The winter isn't helping that, though... I've been building AR's out of boredom.

It sure is expensive. Hard for me to keep shooting my money into a dirt hill. Not to mention all the time spent hand loading.

Cutting back and doing more fishing these days.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have never considered firearms ownership and proficiency with firearms to be a "hobby".

^^ What he said! ^^

I'm just doing my duty as a responsible citizen!

Anybody ever convince your wife into letting you buy another gun, then on the way home you get the feeling she isn't exactly happy with you?

Oh well...I suppose that will happen again.

I remember my last visit to the CMP South Store in May. I'm filling out paperwork on a M1D and repro M82. When I over hear Kathy telling "Behind the Counter Mike": "He works awfully hard for his money, who am I to tell him how to spend it?" I think I'll keep her. Not to mention that 1/3 of the money I spend on firearms and training is for her gear and classes!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom