• ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have seen a number of threads like this on on :ingo:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/297554-sd40_ve_vs_m_and_p.html

Folks are talking up the M&P line like it is a great weapon. It has only been on the market a short time and I recall seeing many folks jumping on it as soon as it hit the LGS shelves. It was in very high demand for several months. Even now, threads like the one above clearly favor the line over others.

If the pistol is so good, why are there a dozen adds to sell one in the first five pages of the classifieds right now? (I counted them a few minutes ago. I recognize the pagination will change as new ads are posted.) For comparison, in the same five pages there are 24 ads to sell Glocks. The Glocks, though, are of multiple calibers and generations. The M&P are all 9mm (unless I missed something, which is possible) of various sizes—full size & compact, anyway. Further, the Glocks have been on the market a long time (a new generation but not a new design or line) and there are many more of them in circulation at present.

I have noticed this trend for a couple weeks. There have been a lot of M&Ps for sale. If they are so good, why are so many dumping them?

I like the M&P. :yesway: I purchased a full-size .22 for practice and plinking, and I thoroughly enjoy shooting it. Accurate, reliable, and has held up for the first 500 rounds. I plan on keeping mine. Even thinking about adding an M&P 15-22 to balance my Rugers. But I am curious why so many are selling off their M&Ps.

Any ideas? :dunno:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I don't think that phenomenon was limited toM&P's, it's all full size pistols. Everything on the planet that can fire any kind of projectile and had a magazine with more than 10 rounds got very hard to find in the months following Sandy Hook, now it's starting to die down and you are seeing people willing to deal their full sized pistols.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My guess is that some of the early M&P pistols had finish wear issues as well as trigger issues. This has kept me from buying a used one, when typically for a few more dollars I go to the LGS and buy a brand new one with the Melonite finish and the better trigger.

I would say some of these guys have figured out the same thing, and want to get most of their money back, so they can go buy a new one with the better features.
    This of course is just my opinion and is subject to being wrong.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just glanced at the classifieds and on the first page there are 9 Glocks and 2 M&P's.

I acknowledged in my original post that the pagination would change as new posts were added. I also mentioned that Glocks are more numerous in the classifieds (12-24 in favor of Glocks). I addressed these matters in my post. Glocks are very popular, and the pros/cons have been thoroughly addressed from "Glocks are indestructible" to the "every Glock goes boom." The M&P is a relatively new line that sold well initially, but now I am seeing many of them being re-sold. Thus, I ask the question.

Hope that helps you understand the parameters of the investigation. ;)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think that phenomenon was limited toM&P's, it's all full size pistols. Everything on the planet that can fire any kind of projectile and had a magazine with more than 10 rounds got very hard to find in the months following Sandy Hook, now it's starting to die down and you are seeing people willing to deal their full sized pistols.

My guess is that some of the early M&P pistols had finish wear issues as well as trigger issues. This has kept me from buying a used one, when typically for a few more dollars I go to the LGS and buy a brand new one with the Melonite finish and the better trigger.

I would say some of these guys have figured out the same thing, and want to get most of their money back, so they can go buy a new one with the better features.
    This of course is just my opinion and is subject to being wrong.

Good points I had not considered. Thanks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most of the M&P's on here for sale are higher than what I paid for mine new when I bought it in January of this year.

I don't get that. I doubt they have gone up in value in 6 months. Especially now that they are used. Plus one of the ads shows a blem on the slide. Shouldn't that make it worth less?:dunno:

BTW, I love my M&P. I am just waiting for extra mags so I can try some Steel Challenge with it. I am also going to add the Apex sear. Glocks may be better, but they didn't feel right in my hand and the M&P did. That was the deciding factor on me choosing the M&P over other polymer pistols. Beyond that, price was also a factor.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Most of the M&P's on here for sale are higher than what I paid for mine new when I bought it in January of this year.

I don't get that. I doubt they have gone up in value in 6 months. Especially now that they are used. Plus one of the ads shows a blem on the slide. Shouldn't that make it worth less?:dunno:

Price gougers on :ingo: ??!! Shocked, I say, SHOCKED, I am! :D

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I have an M&P in the classifieds. I love the pistol as much as I can love a pistol but the fact is that I'm not a pistol guy. It was fun at first but as time wore on, I drifted back to my rifles and haven't had the pistol out in over a year.

So....... I guess it is just by chance that mine ended up in with everyone else's.

I know mine is priced high but it's because I would prefer to trade it. If I don't unload it, my feelings won't be hurt.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have an M&P in the classifieds. I love the pistol as much as I can love a pistol but the fact is that I'm not a pistol guy. It was fun at first but as time wore on, I drifted back to my rifles and haven't had the pistol out in over a year.

So....... I guess it is just by chance that mine ended up in with everyone else's.

If you just need to get it off your hands, I can send you an FFL address - just trying to help you out. :D

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Many more Glocks in the classifieds than anything, yes there are many more Glocks out there, yet they are by far the most frequently listed firearm over a long period of time than any other.

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Since I am an M&P fan/shooter I don't mind seeing them in the classifieds so I can buy them:D In fact I did recently but I got a good price on one that had the APEX upgrades and extra mags for what people are trying to sell stock packages for. IF you are patient there are fair deals to be had and in turn I will gladly be fair to that person in the future if I sell or trade something.

To your original question...if you read some of the threads and actually something I think is happening to a degree is people are on the hook for their panic buys or orders and now have to get their cash back. A lot of people on this forum and others were paying upwards of $600 for a stock M&P9 and ordering them through their LGS but now that supply is coming back they have to move them to get money free since they are a common item again. If you checked the classifieds after the last election cycle you would see the same thing with ammo and other pistol brands. Also, another poster made a great comment about being able to buy a newer model for the money they are getting for used. Finally, this is the classifieds so why not price a little high and expect the lowball offers that always come and then make a "deal" with someone that you both are happy with.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Since I am an M&P fan/shooter I don't mind seeing them in the classifieds so I can buy them:D In fact I did recently but I got a good price on one that had the APEX upgrades and extra mags for what people are trying to sell stock packages for. IF you are patient there are fair deals to be had and in turn I will gladly be fair to that person in the future if I sell or trade something.

To your original question...if you read some of the threads and actually something I think is happening to a degree is people are on the hook for their panic buys or orders and now have to get their cash back. A lot of people on this forum and others were paying upwards of $600 for a stock M&P9 and ordering them through their LGS but now that supply is coming back they have to move them to get money free since they are a common item again. If you checked the classifieds after the last election cycle you would see the same thing with ammo and other pistol brands. Also, another poster made a great comment about being able to buy a newer model for the money they are getting for used. Finally, this is the classifieds so why not price a little high and expect the lowball offers that always come and then make a "deal" with someone that you both are happy with.

Good points! Thanks.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    M&P's on here for sale are higher than what I paid for mine new

It is a lot harder to negotiate higher, than to bargain lower.

I assume that the mandp's for sale, were bought by someone reading the
    hype, feeling it in the gun shop, liking it, buying it, finding something they
    like more and hoping to get their money back to get what they like more.

Not that I have any experience with that situation.:D

Surely no one else on ingo does either.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I know the reason that so many people have there M&P's up for sale. It is because of the new triggers S&W is putting in their M&P's. People are getting rid of there old M&P's so they have the cash to buy the ones with the newer triggers in them.

Top Bottom