• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    A long time ago, I couldn't imagine owning more than a couple of guns. Different flavors are fun! As others have said, you really can't own one gun that does it all, or at least does it well. My husband and I used to have this argument about kitchen utensils, until I pointed out that they are like tools...and we own many of those!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Well I've never really been one to change dance partners. I live in the same house I bought 27 yrs ago. Married 37 yrs (first time.. Made a good choice there! ) One classic car. I have changed vehicles , mostly cause they were worn out & non-repairable . Maybe if I could have more I would . I just don't think I would .I respect others right to have more firearms. I tend to use what I have till I can't any longer

The things I do not get rid of or replace either gain in value, they outpace inflation, or tools that I don't use often but can not be easily replaced. Guns just happen to fall into both of those categories.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So many good comments above. I look at them as an investment. My dad has a fairly good collection, but all of them get shot. Guns and shooting is one thing my dad and I really have enjoyed together for many years. He is now getting to where he isn't able to go to the range much anymore, but we will share the love of guns.

wdan5906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Why so many guns

It is a very addictive hobby. I have been faccinated with firearms since watching TV westerns in the early sixties as a young boy. Some say they are just tools, but I have always looked at them as mechanical works of art. I tend to collect (accumulate) firearms in family groups. I will use one group for a time and then rotate to another group. By the time I get back to the first group it's like having new guns. Never get bored with what you have that way. That's not to say I still don't add something new once in a while. Not dead yet!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Some say they are just tools, but I have always looked at them as mechanical works of art.

Yup, that's a big part of it for me.

Even if I have a gun, or several, that fit the same need and a couple don't get much love, it won't stop me from getting something similiar if I like the mechanical aspect of them or like the design.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One angle, like Craig mentioned is competition. A competitive Trap gun is not the right tool for skeet. True Skeet competition is 4 different gauges. True Bullseye competion requires at least two target guns (rimfire and centerfire) while old timers used three (.22, .38 revolver and 1911 pattern .45) A hunter class benchrest rifle is a LOT different than a National match service rifle. That same game has a "match rifle class" with different specs. A pistol that is competitive for IPSC open class is not suitable for IDPA. And none of them are really good for concealed carry.

Now add that an active competitive rifle shooter with wear out a barrel in a season, he cannot risk going to the nationals with a loose barrel, so he has two rifles for each class.

A second reason to have multiple firearms is that quality firearms are a good investment. The year that Merrill Lynch and the government stole $270K from my 401k and my other investments lost over $100k, I sold my gun collection. It was all quality stuff, no entry level firearms. I made money on every one as much as double on the ones I had a long time. That was in 2006. If I still had that collection today, I could get double the price that I sold them for in 2006. There are NO financial institutions that have returned that kind of money to investors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All right you guys....now I am getting the itch. Sweat beads on the forehead. Slightly of in the tummy. Hands are shaking. Keep wanting to go to the classifieds........:faint:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I have 2 handguns because 2 is 1 and 1 is none, stuff breaks, even guns and in my experience stuff always breaks at the worst time

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nobody needs more than 1 pair of shoes, 1 coffee cup, 1 tv, 1 car, 1 kid.............. oh wait...........
    I disagree. You can't get much done with one kid. Minimum of 2, but for maximum productivity, you're looking at no less than 3 or 4. One kid can actually be a net loss too since the maintenance and ownership costs are so dang high.

We have "so many" because we can and we like to.

All right you guys....now I am getting the itch. Sweat beads on the forehead. Slightly of in the tummy. Hands are shaking. Keep wanting to go to the classifieds........:faint:
    I saw a few Glocks available.

Top Bottom