• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe I'm beginning to understand . Not sure I'm there yet but time will tell. I have thought of a time when more firearms might be a good idea. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm involved in a shooting incident , won't my firearm be confiscated until I'm cleared. If I had another weapon to carry then I would not be "naked". Assuming I would still be allowed to carry.

Yes, it will be taken as evidence. This include's a police officer's gun as well. Once you are cleared, then the firearm is returned. Your LTCH is not automatically revoked during the investigation portion.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Firearms are a notch above horrible investments. They tend to retain value and over a long period of time they are worth a little more but hardly keep up with inflation rate. I can think of a better way to invest my money. I'd hope that a an IRA that I put $1000 in will give me more than a $150 return in 20 years
    Ammo, right? :)

Besides, I've got a few K31s that are calling you a liar.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'm going through this a bit myself, where I am trying to justify purchases of new firearms. Truthfully, I haven't gotten to shoot much this year. The range has been closed all year it seems and I've only had the chance to shoot elsewhere a couple times. The fact I don't have a place to shoot right now is what is halting additional purchases, although I did just start a thread recently looking for a 'cheap shotgun'. But in regards to Handguns (since this is the Handgun forum)... I really, really want a nice revolver... and a 1911... and CZ... and what's this Glock hype all about? I better purchase one and see... I'm also looking for relatives of my S&W 4566TSW, so looking for similar S&W models... My old Ruger MKI is fun to shoot, but a MKII wouldn't be bad to have either... OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!?

I've only got three pistols at this current time. A big factor in the reason that's not a higher number is mainly my lack of places to go shoot and that I have other hobbies that I can go do, but they're also expensive. One day I'll win the lottery and have a backdoor range and a personal arsenal that'd make a small army jealous... but until then I gotta prioritize (or get a raise).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Not one gun can do it all. Sometimes you like going long or sometimes close up. Big target pounding or plinking small game. Sometimes you see a gun and it is just cool to have. Whatever the case may be there is a gun for it. Some people collect old stuff some new. It is a great hobby and I am fortunate to partake and proud to be an American.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Why not? If you use a tool long enough it will wear out.

How many wrenches does a plumber own? How many does an automotive technician own?

Most every firearm I own serves a different purpose or is part of a system. If I really like it I will buy multiple...just because I know anything mechanical can break

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I just like handguns, I don't really drink ( couple cocktails from time to time) don't smoke, I don't take expensive trips. I'm married with kids and my wife doesn't give a damn if I buy sell/trade guns and reload. I shoot when I want and still get ALOTTA face. LOL had to throw that in.
    I'm in the 1911 mode as of now.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I've probably been out thought on my opening thread. Obviously there are different weapons for different purposes which only make sense to use the right tool. I really was speaking about people having multiples of the same firearms specifically for the same purpose. How can a person be profiecent with 6 different carry guns (3 Glocks, 2 S&W, and what ever else you may have)enough to guarantee dropping the bad guy. I would rather be very very good with what I'm carrying than trying to first figure out what I'm carrying & then how it shoots. I believe if I did have another back up. It would be exactly the same weapon

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I only have one, honestly... I tell ya! :whistle:

Reading the replies in the first two pages pretty well sums it up.

Investments/savings, different applications, backups, variety, heirlooms, BECAUSE I CAN and cars/tools are bad investments.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I currently have 10 handguns. Eight of them are nearly identical to each other. Although they come in various sizes and are constructed with different materials, they are essentially the same gun. I have three exact duplicates of my carry gun. Not only do I not think this is excessive, if I had any available cash I would be looking to buy. ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How can a person be profiecent with 6 different carry guns (3 Glocks, 2 S&W, and what ever else you may have)enough to guarantee dropping the bad guy. I would rather be very very good with what I'm carrying than trying to first figure out what I'm carrying & then how it shoots.

I like the idea of being able to shoot any gun I pick up reasonably well. I may not be a great shot with every gun, but I"ll be happy with being able to shoot anything decently. I've shot a wide variety of handguns of all sorts of different calibers and after learning the basics (grip, stance and such), I've been able to shoot everything I've picked up well enough. I practice the most often with my carry gun, but I don't see a huge difference picking up most anything else, as long as whatever I pick up doesn't have some type of issue, like having sights that are way off, or anything like that. I think if you only stick to one gun or one type of gun you're limiting yourself.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think this post has had the most replies in the least amount of time that I have seen in a long time if not the most.

I understand the question because I get that question often. My are some of my responses:
    thought it was cool, I wanted one to hunt back in PA, or for Elk out west, I shot one of my friends and it was fun to shoot, always wanted a 1911 or an AR, or an AK, it was cheap, need this for a special hunting season.

I really enjoy shooting even though ammo has become more expensive and so as a grown up child, I enjoy my toys as I did my legos and hot wheels. So asking why so many is like asking someone why so many DVDs or video games because you can only watch or play one at a time. Why have more tvs than people in your house?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Well I've never really been one to change dance partners. I live in the same house I bought 27 yrs ago. Married 37 yrs (first time.. Made a good choice there! ) One classic car. I have changed vehicles , mostly cause they were worn out & non-repairable . Maybe if I could have more I would . I just don't think I would .I respect others right to have more firearms. I tend to use what I have till I can't any longer

For most of us the various guns each add something or some characteristic that others in the collection don't have. Those who have duplicates of the same gun...well, it's their money so I don't really care. The only duplicates I want are copies of my carry guns so I have a spare if I need one. There's WAY too many options out there to get stuck on just one type!

I get using what you have until it wears out. Really, I do. But having multiple guns is adding something entirely different to what you have. My M1 Garand is left field when compared to my .22 Remington which is is on another end of the spectrum compared to any number of my other rifles in my collection. They shoot differently, they behave differently, the each feel unique when compared to another... Each one adds its own distinct flavor to the whole recipe.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    One simple explanation : " I love M1 rifles".

attachment.php

Top Bottom