• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've shot suppressed before and yes, it's interesting and fun. But unless/until they are removed from NFA I have no interest in going through all the legal "hoops" and expense of registering one. They shouldn't even be this controlled and since the last several SCOTUS decisions I don't get why (legally) they still are since they are in "common use" with a couple million of them owned.

And how are they even considered dangerous destructive devices? They have no moving parts, don't explode and cannot harm anyone. In Europe, if you hunt without one you are considered rude and inconsiderate.
    I'm in the same boat. I love shooting suppressed and the .45's are so much nicer suppressed. But I'm not paying the stamp and jumping through the hoops.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Aszerigan pointed out the biggest plus. The first year my hunting partner and I hunted coyotes, I was hunting suppressed and he wasn't. I flat out told him that the next year he had to have a suppressor or I wasn't hunting with him. I could shoot all night long and not have an issue. One shot from him and my ears were ringing.

See!?!? Even Roadie gets it!

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Let’s not forget home defense. Shooting unsuppressed inside one’s home would cause permanent hearing loss. And maybe worse, if you fail to stop the threat, they move and you can’t see or hear the threat because of the sound and the muzzle flash. This assuming a dark environment.

Or introducing new shooters to the sport that may be intimidated by the noise and recoil of unsuppressed firearms.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Let’s not forget home defense. Shooting unsuppressed inside one’s home would cause permanent hearing loss. And maybe worse, if you fail to stop the threat, they move and you can’t see or hear the threat because of the sound and the muzzle flash. This assuming a dark environment.

Or introducing new shooters to the sport that may be intimidated by the noise and recoil of unsuppressed firearms.
    good thing I wear ear plugs to bed!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Silencers are legal for hunting in Indiana. It became legal in 2013.

Personally, I use suppressors for a number of reasons. First, they mitigate recoil, so my 45-70 isn't such a beast to shoot. Also, we live on decent acreage but have neighbors 1/4 mile away. They shoot occasionally, but I shoot a lot more, and I think it's polite to cut down on the noise pollution in the otherwise peaceful woods. I also don't need everyone within a mile of me knowing I'm shooting NFA guns.

Shooting outdoors, even 308 etc, suppressors make rifles hearing safe. They force whatever blast is left forward and away from the shooter. Makes it more pleasant. I'm not against hearing protection of course, but I'd prefer to not wear it if I don't need to.

Also, not gonna lie, the coolness factor of shooting suppressed never gets old. It's just plain fun. Sounds cliche, but it's a real reason.

YMMV but that's why I use suppressors. Other people may have different opinions.
    Spot on.
    In fact, suppressors are legal in 42 states as of now and 40 of those states allow suppressors while hunting.

Click on the map to see the options in any given state:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    If you are firing subsonics, you do not need ear pro. Depending upon the weapon and round being used, some supers are hearing safe as well.

While this may be true outdoors...be very careful at indoor ranges. Even if you have the place to yourself.

Keep in mind that even if the subs are registering below 140dB...indoors, that is still very loud and WILL damage your ears over time.
    (I am speaking from experience.)

Today, I ALWAYS use ear pro indoors...suppressed with or without subs.
    If indoors and not suppressed, I double up with both plugs and cans.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Silencers are legal for hunting in Indiana. It became legal in 2013.

Personally, I use suppressors for a number of reasons. First, they mitigate recoil, so my 45-70 isn't such a beast to shoot. Also, we live on decent acreage but have neighbors 1/4 mile away. They shoot occasionally, but I shoot a lot more, and I think it's polite to cut down on the noise pollution in the otherwise peaceful woods. I also don't need everyone within a mile of me knowing I'm shooting NFA guns.

Shooting outdoors, even 308 etc, suppressors make rifles hearing safe. They force whatever blast is left forward and away from the shooter. Makes it more pleasant. I'm not against hearing protection of course, but I'd prefer to not wear it if I don't need to.

Also, not gonna lie, the coolness factor of shooting suppressed never gets old. It's just plain fun. Sounds cliche, but it's a real reason.

YMMV but that's why I use suppressors. Other people may have different opinions.
    ^^^^This.
    @Aszerigan hit the high points, but since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I'll add this.
    In certain situations, a suppressor can make a firearm (usually a rifle) more accurate. The weight/mass can help tame some barrel harmonics that bedevil an "oughta' be dead nuts on" rifle.

I've got a Rock River AR with a 20" National Match barrel, and an AAC M2000 can tamed it right down to consistently print clover leaf groups at 100 meters.
    As previously stated...YMMV.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    ^^^^This.
    @Aszerigan hit the high points, but since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I'll add this.
    In certain situations, a suppressor can make a firearm (usually a rifle) more accurate. The weight/mass can help tame some barrel harmonics that bedevil an "oughta' be dead nuts on" rifle.

I've got a Rock River AR with a 20" National Match barrel, and an AAC M2000 can tamed it right down to consistently print clover leaf groups at 100 meters.
    As previously stated...YMMV.
    Interesting, we have two RR high power rifles. They both are amazing shooters with 77 grainers.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    1. They're cool
    2. 'MERICA!!!
    3. Second Amendment

Seriously. It is considerate to your neighbors to dispose of a nuisance animal.

Also, given what Hamas has done and our (essentially) open borders, having another tool available is not a bad thing.

Scoffing at the idea of a terrorist attack in the US? A week ago everyone would have scoffed at the idea of smelly terrorists paragliding into a rave to start murdering and raping people.

#BostonMarathon

Top Bottom