• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    What I do wonder is why there's so much interest in them. They make the host firearms longer and bulkier, and don't negate the need for hearing protection, especially if you're firing supersonic loads.
    I just wanted to chime in that shooting a 9mm suppressor with sub sonic is quiet enough for me to not have my ears ring. It's even quieter when fired wet.

With supersonic loads dry it sounds like an unsuppressed 22lr which is still quieter on the ears than firing supersonic 9mm without a suppressor.

As to why? Why not? They do help with noise and to not upset the neighbors who may or may not hate the sound of gunfire.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I don't shoot anything without a suppressor anymore.
    Over the years, I have collected 9 suppressors and use them on all my firearms.
    From 9mm, 45acp pistols to 223/556, 6.5 grendel, 6.5 creedmoor, 300blk, 308, 8x57, and 460bm.
    All are only shot suppressed.
    And yes, I still wear electronic ear protection, because I am "old" and my ears ring anyway.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Personally I got in to them because people thought I shouldn't own them.
    With that being said, they are a ton of fun. As was said above hunting is much better with cans. Without cans squirrel hunting requires at least 10 minutes of waiting after you shoot. Not so with cans.
    For any rifle caliber the ringing in my ears after an unsupressed shot is about a 12 hour thing. With cans, not so. The recoil reduction in a heavy rifle round is also nice.
    I can find no reason not to like them.
    I'd suggest starting with a rimfire can. That's what I shoot the most of and IMO it's the most noticeable reduction in sound. I bought two to start: a rimfire can and the silencerco hybrid. The hybrid is amazing in pistol calibers.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I want a suppressor to save what little hearing I have left. I would love a suppressor for hunting with my .350L AR. I wear electronic muffs now when I hunt but after awhile they become uncomfortable. Last year when I shot my deer, I had taken them off to give my melon a rest and took the time to put them back on before taking a shot. Fortunately I had time to do that. I put a Witt Machine SME on it for this year and still plan to wear the muffs as much as I can. But the SME is for when I get caught with them off and hopefully will help a little.

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    147gr 9mm through a 9mm can outdoors. Or a 45acp through a 45 can. Won't spook as much wildlife and to be honest, even with hearing protection, you may still cause some form of hearing damage if having a longer range session. I'll take the extra weight on the end of the gun to reduce recoil and reduce the damage to my hearing.

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester
    I'll preface this by saying I have nothing at all against suppressors, and that I of course don't believe they lead to more crime yadda yadda.

What I do wonder is why there's so much interest in them. They make the host firearms longer and bulkier, and don't negate the need for hearing protection, especially if you're firing supersonic loads.

I suppose I could see using a subsonic .358 (or similar) load for deer hunting, but last I knew, suppressors were not legal for hunting.

What's the fascination with suppressors? What am I overlooking?
    Honestly I hate shooting silenced autoloaders. Silenced bolt guns though are absolutely delicious - they don't have any gas blown back in their face, and they're QUIET.

Silenced pistols are a bit goofy but you can feel just like bond. But yeah my preference for ARs is 14.5 pinned and welded with an A2 flashhider, no can.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Honestly I hate shooting silenced autoloaders. <SNIP>
    Agreed, "gas face" from 90% of the cans out there sucks azz. Been there, done that.

Have you ever shot semi-auto with a flow through design, like a OSS/Huxwrx (or others)?
    The flow through cans make a "YUGE" difference.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Agreed, "gas face" from 90% of the cans out there sucks azz. Been there, done that.

Have you ever shot semi-auto with a flow through design, like a OSS/Huxwrx (or others)?
    The flow through cans make a "YUGE" difference.
    Glad to hear that! Have a RAD45 in jail that will hopefully keep me from crying.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That would be me. I just heard the trigger click and didn't know if it fired. Ended up buying the same rifle and have been shooting it without a supprssor..... for now. My TX22 competition liked it also. Thanks Act.
    I know.
    You went from a .44 to a suppressed .22 bolt action, with subsonic ammo.

And I had the same reaction my first shot.. did that fire?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We were at Winimac
    The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor (GIF Image)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    With handguns, suppressors are a lot of fun for new shooters to get them interested in firearms, lessening the report and perceived recoil. On ARs, because if I ever am forced to use a rifle in self defense or indoors, I want my hearing intact and to be able to communicate. When I’m training, I want to be able to hear everything easier. For hunting, because I can’t stand even the best electronic hearing protection for hours on end. On big bore rifles, because despite shooting very large and loud long range offerings for many years, I primarily shoot suppressed + hearing protection and in my late 30’s, I still test perfect hearing. All of my older friends or family who’s primary long range shooting days were before suppressors were common place have hearing aids.

And because I can’t have rockets.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There's nothing more satisfying than hearing the thump of a bullet hitting a coyote. You can't do that without a suppressor.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive heard bullets hit critters without suppressors.
    Increased range helps.

Thump and whop on chucks w .223 through .243
    Even heard deer hit closer.

Not as obvious.
    Suppressor make it more fun proly.

Saving ones hearing is a worthy investment, suppressors or electronic earpro.

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    I'll preface this by saying I have nothing at all against suppressors, and that I of course don't believe they lead to more crime yadda yadda.

I suppose I could see using a subsonic .358 (or similar) load for deer hunting, but last I knew, suppressors were not legal for hunting.

What's the fascination with suppressors? What am I overlooking?
    The purpose of a suppressor in most cases is not to totally silence the weapon, but to negate your report. A good can will completely mute your muzzle flash, which is very important for engagements at night, and it will also make it significantly harder to pin point your location using the sound of our shot. It also is less recognizable as a gun shot to the untrained ear, so it helps to maintain a low profile.

In a home defense situation it will also save you from blowing out your families ear drums out by firing indoors without ear pro. Or at least mitigate the damage to your ears.

Top Bottom