Why the Four Rules Are So Important (Graphic)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    That's a personal choice. I'm not willing to kill over someone stealing my car. If you're ok with it then that's your deal.

I'm not saying i would kill someone for stealing, but in some cases I can understand why people do it

Say for instance, you have 1 vehicle in the household, and struggling to make it by. If someone were to steal your car, you may not have a way to get to work, leaving you jobless, your bills would not be able to be paid, and could leave you homeless.

Would you want to be homeless and lose your children to cps because you let some asshat steal your car when you could have stopped them?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    QFT. ^^^^^^^^

The possessions you have you had to work for.................... if you are not a piece of **** criminal.
    Your work is your time taken away from your LIFE that you traded for money to buy the possessions.
    They are stealing your LIFE.

Meh, by that theory I should be able to shoot a doctor who is late for my set appointment. After all, he's stealing my time and LIFE.

Used to hang horse thieves in this country and I think we still should. How much does something have to be worth before I can protect it?

How little does something have to be worth in order to impose the death penalty? Should Wal-mart be able to shoot you for shoplifting a pair of shoes? If the person survives the theft, should the gov't be able to execute them upon conviction?

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    A guy is stealing from me, I have a loaded shotgun, and he has a truck. I wouldn't have shot the thief, but the truck wouldn't have gone anywhere. I'd have emptied the shotgun in the grill. That does a job on the radiator, and I'd still have my leg.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Used to hang horse thieves in this country and I think we still should. How much does something have to be worth before I can protect it?

I'm no fan of thieves but if what's being stolen is insured and it's loss will not impact my family, then I will not shoot the thief. Back in the day, there was no such thing as horse insurance and the loss of a horse could also mean the loss of employment and possibly life in some circumstances. Now, in a SHTF situation where a loss is truly a loss, and loss of my only vehicle meant I could not support my family, I would not hesitate to shoot if required.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I'm no fan of thieves but if what's being stolen is insured and it's loss will not impact my family, then I will not shoot the thief. Back in the day, there was no such thing as horse insurance and the loss of a horse could also mean the loss of employment and possibly life in some circumstances. Now, in a SHTF situation where a loss is truly a loss, and loss of my only vehicle meant I could not support my family, I would not hesitate to shoot if required.

Glad someone sees where im coming from

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I read the whooooole thing. And gandered at the gross pictures.
    I feel for the guy. No one to blame but himself and no one to sue.
    It's obvious he's trying to make sense of this and has probably had more than one person tell him that
    "everything happens for a reason."

This reinforces my feeling that grabbing my piece and waving it around as a first resort is the way to go.
    How about calling the police and not letting on that you see the guy?
    Problem is, it goes against our manliness to not protect our stuff.

God Bless him. Maybe his long drawn out story full of ****ing curse words will prevent someone else from doing something stupid.

Misfire McCoy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    West Texas, USA
    That's a personal choice. I'm not willing to kill over someone stealing my car. If you're ok with it then that's your deal.

My thoughts exactly. When I drew on him he threw up the "jazz hands", screamed in Spanish and made a beeline for the car. As I started squeezing the trigger I thought about how ridiculous it was that I was about to kill an unarmed man for stealing some lumber and a trickle charger from my hoarder relative, and that's when the voice in my head decided to speak up and said "Remember in CHL class when you learned that proving your innocence here will cost about $50,000? Really wanna do that over that junk?" No, I thought to myself, and I dropped the shotgun to my side and got his license plate number- and you know the rest. I don't regret not shooting him- $30 in used construction materials is not worth a man's life, especially one who isn't shooting back. And yes, in Texas (especially out here in the western oil fields) it's legal and routinely cited (often by the nuttier gun nuts) that you can use lethal force on someone on your property so long as you had a darn good reason and they had committed a crime- Castle Doctrine and all that. We have a long list of visits from the county sheriff for meth heads crawling through the mountains of collected stuff over the years looking for copper or tools or the dog, and the police and I had a long talk when I got out of the hospital about that kind of stuff going down. I won't touch the minefield of legalities there, Google it up on Yahoo for specifics and send me whatever seems relevant.

I've received a lot of messages praising me for "taking one for the team" over opening that dude's skull, and I stand by what I originally said in the hospital: better my leg than a man's life. Stupid decision on my part, but at least no one lost their life. Lost a possible career as a professional breakdancer, sure, but not a life.

Like I've said elsewhere, I am a prime and graphic example of poor gun handling, bad enough to horrify viewers into rethinking that sweet-ass Mossy 500 PGO cruiser they have for HD/zombies/e-penis ratings. In situations like these you gotta own up when you **** up, and no one ever got anywhere by hosting a pity-party for themselves, so laying it all out with the disclaimer of "don't be me" attached is the only honest way to turn this stupid accident into something people can perhaps learn from. If I saved one like-minded idiot the stress of picking lead shot from a limb, then I've contributed something besides gory photos and a rambling narrative. My mother told me growing up "you can be a wonderful example or a terrible warning," and I like to think I'm pretty good at the latter. And to the guy who complimented my pharmaceutical knowledge: that's two years of psychopharmacology classes at work. Not quite Breaking Bad-level interesting, but enough to know that morphine isn't a long-term solution.

Can't say what's the worst: his writing, his judgment, or his photography skills.

I love you. I do it all for you, baby. :cowbell:

edit:
    It's obvious he's trying to make sense of this and has probably had more than one person tell him that

This reinforces my feeling that grabbing my piece and waving it around as a first resort is the way to go.
    How about calling the police and not letting on that you see the guy?
    Problem is, it goes against our manliness to not protect our stuff.

God Bless him. Maybe his long drawn out story full of ****ing curse words will prevent someone else from doing something stupid.

Thanks man :) You friggin' nailed it.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My thoughts exactly. When I drew on him he threw up the "jazz hands", screamed in Spanish and made a beeline for the car. As I started squeezing the trigger I thought about how ridiculous it was that I was about to kill an unarmed man for stealing some lumber and a trickle charger from my hoarder relative, and that's when the voice in my head decided to speak up and said "Remember in CHL class when you learned that proving your innocence here will cost about $50,000? Really wanna do that over that junk?" No, I thought to myself, and I dropped the shotgun to my side and got his license plate number- and you know the rest. I don't regret not shooting him- $30 in used construction materials is not worth a man's life, especially one who isn't shooting back. And yes, in Texas (especially out here in the western oil fields) it's legal and routinely cited (often by the nuttier gun nuts) that you can use lethal force on someone on your property so long as you had a darn good reason and they had committed a crime- Castle Doctrine and all that. We have a long list of visits from the county sheriff for meth heads crawling through the mountains of collected stuff over the years looking for copper or tools or the dog, and the police and I had a long talk when I got out of the hospital about that kind of stuff going down. I won't touch the minefield of legalities there, Google it up on Yahoo for specifics and send me whatever seems relevant.

I've received a lot of messages praising me for "taking one for the team" over opening that dude's skull, and I stand by what I originally said in the hospital: better my leg than a man's life. Stupid decision on my part, but at least no one lost their life. Lost a possible career as a professional breakdancer, sure, but not a life.

Like I've said elsewhere, I am a prime and graphic example of poor gun handling, bad enough to horrify viewers into rethinking that sweet-ass Mossy 500 PGO cruiser they have for HD/zombies/e-penis ratings. In situations like these you gotta own up when you **** up, and no one ever got anywhere by hosting a pity-party for themselves, so laying it all out with the disclaimer of "don't be me" attached is the only honest way to turn this stupid accident into something people can perhaps learn from. If I saved one like-minded idiot the stress of picking lead shot from a limb, then I've contributed something besides gory photos and a rambling narrative. My mother told me growing up "you can be a wonderful example or a terrible warning," and I like to think I'm pretty good at the latter. And to the guy who complimented my pharmaceutical knowledge: that's two years of psychopharmacology classes at work. Not quite Breaking Bad-level interesting, but enough to know that morphine isn't a long-term solution.

I love you. I do it all for you, baby. :cowbell:

edit:

Thanks man :) You friggin' nailed it.

Welcome to INGO. How in the world did you find us?

Misfire McCoy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    West Texas, USA
    Welcome to INGO. How in the world did you find us?

My website tracks incoming visitors and a boatload were/are coming in from your forum, so I figured it'd be rude not to take part. The discourse over my "right" to shoot the guy is kinda null since I'm glad I didn't regardless of the circumstances, but Texas' legal interpretation of lethal force and home defense varies wildly against other states, though federal law intervenes of course. Every other older gentleman I meet who knows of my hobby as an amateur shotgun surgeon says something like "You shoulda killed the bastard!" or "Assess the situation, drop the threat, call the police!" or "Shoot first, ask questions later!" (If I sound better as Boyd Crowder, read those lines as Phil Robertson) Yes, I could have, but since I'm apparently one long-functioning bad decision I not only messed up there but all over the place. We were talking about woulda/coulda/shoulda on another board and I have to decline trying to decipher my colossal foul-up personally, since you're only going to drive yourself crazy living that way. End of the day, killing a man is not an easy or snap decision- but it counts, believe me. I am curious as to just how hard the Internet can bodyslam me for shooting myself :P

As for the quality of my writing, it speaks for itself. Poorly. No guarantees there!

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    It's like reading how Gecko45 got Garand thumb while thwarting a dumpster dive by a virginal maiden who "made a man" out of 37 adolescent heirs to the Arctic Circle's Pirate Lord's piece of eight while singing "Does Your Bubblegum Lose It's Flavor" and sipping on a RC Coca-Cola.
    I think I just spotted a Ray Stevens fan....

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    For all the horse thief talk above, I believe killing a man for stealing a horse wasn't about the $$ value of the animal itself. It was about the consequence of stealing the horse to the person left behind apparently now on foot and perhaps many miles from civilization. At least a tremendous hardship, if not a defacto death sentence itself. Now I could be dead nuts wrong on this but I think it's correct.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

mistakesdemotivator.jpg

Other than that I got nothing to add to this. It's all been said.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm eating lunch so didn't click on the photos, but can just imagine.

Met a guy at work years ago with a missing finger. I asked him what happened but he wouldn't tell me. One day we went out for a beer after work and he finally told the story, it was a gunshot accident.

Careless with guns has a high price. Reminder well taken.

Top Bottom