• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have been thinking hard about making the switch from a Glock 19 for daily carry to the M&P 9.

I've been evaluating the handguns side by side for several months now and have decided the M&P won't be my next daily carry gun.

I started considering the M&P because of how good it felt in my hands. It's not perfect, mind you, but it seemed to be more ergonomic than most other pistols in its class in most areas, except for one (for me). I also liked that it doesn't use a polygonal barrel so it's safe for me to shoot my lead target loads without having to swap barrels.

The grip fits my large hands perfectly. The only thing that doesn't fit quite right is the trigger. I should say the reach of the trigger is too close to the grip frame for my hands. It's designed for someone with much smaller hands than mine. I am forced to hook my trigger finger over the trigger which is something I don't really like doing and it feels odd to me. But I was trying to get used to it. That alone may not have prevented me from adopting the M&P as my daily carry gun. There's one more problem with the trigger.

I dislike the trigger itself. It's creepy, lets off all the way back where it's practically touching the grip frame (see my comments above about it already being too short) and it lacks a reset that I can feel or hear. The issues with the trigger keeps me from shooting the M&P as well as I do my Glocks. Even when dry firing, no matter how careful I am with my trigger control, when it lets off I can see the sights move slightly. With my Glocks the sights remain rock solid on the target, so this tells me something with the ergonomics and the trigger are conspiring to make super accurate aimed fire difficult for me with the pistol.

I can easily keep them in the kill zone on a man size target and the pistol is more than accurate enough for me in terms of self defense, it's not like I can't keep the rounds where they belong. But I also like to target shoot with my pistols to keep myself sharp with my carry gun, and I can't shoot the M&P as well as I can my Glocks.

I know I can install an aftermarket trigger to fix the short comings of the M&P's trigger but I'm not into installing aftermarket fire control parts into my carry guns. Sights, grips, and other non-critical components I'll swap out but not critical parts like trigger components. I know, it may seem goofy but it's a comfort thing for me.

I'll keep my M&P 9, it's a very good firearm. I'm also pulling for the M&P in the US military trials. But unfortunately, the gun just isn't well suited for my daily carry gun when I don't feel it's superior to the one I already have.

Plus... something else has popped onto my radar in the last couple of months. This something pushed the M&P out of the running and is now being considered as my future CCW gun. It has several more months of evaluation to go before it gets that honor but the last two months of shooting it has shown me that better alternatives are on the market that don't require me to make concessions on things like the trigger. This new contender has a very Glock like trigger that's a bit lighter and more crisp than a factory Glock trigger. It also fits my hand much better in the trigger reach department, it mirrors the feel of a Glock. It also has a more ergonomic grip than the Glock, but not quite as ergonomic as the M&P... but it is a marked improvement in ergonomics when compared to the Glock. It also features an ambi-mag release.

The culprit?

i-XKvTp7f-L.jpg

:nailbite:

Last edited:

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Hey ain't nothin wrong with a G19! :yesway:

I get the exact same slight pull on the front sight you are describing with the M&P but I guess it doesn't really bother me that much cause I don't really "target" shoot with it. Now my Pro 9 I do but hey, I'm just not that good of a shot anyway!:D

Last edited:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I've got short stubby fingers, I guess that's why I prefer an M&P over a Glock. It's great to have so many choices, there's something for everyone! Good points on why you prefer one over the other after giving them a fair shake.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I put the Apex parts on both of my M&Ps and the triggers are EXCELLENT. The firing mechanism is extremely simple on these firearms. Nice reset as well, click. Comes apart with a couple of roll pins, nothing to worry about. If you can get over this mental hurdle that seems to be in your way you will be very satisfied. Take off the slide and watch what's going on with the firing mechanism...it's brilliant in its simplicity.

The large grip insert also has a piece that goes up to the top of the backstrap where the web of your hand fits. This will effectively increase the trigger pull length. Might want to try that if you're using a smaller size.

I also put aftermarket sights on as well, XS standard dots. The three dot system isn't fast for me(which dot is the front)...it's easier to put a single dot on a target FAST for me.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    You'll have to try the APEX Forward Set Sear and Trigger, its worlds above the stock trigger, but could pose a problem if you do larger hands (as I do not). The only thing I don't like is the non-existant reset feel. Granted with this trigger, there's no need for it, but under stress it would help a lot to keep some people, i.e. me, to keep from slapping the trigger under stress. But that should be fixed when Randy from APEX gets the redesigned and improved RAM finished and into production in the next few months. I'm hoping that the new RAM will make a more positive and tactile reset similar to the glocks or Walther PPQ(my personal favorite :D).

I know you dont want to replace parts on a carry gun, but If you want to try my M&P .40w/ APEX FSS and trigger out, let me know, I've got nothing but time for the moment, since I'm out of work with a broken foot... :(

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shoot my fiance's M&P from time to time and it's a fine handgun, but I like my Glock as well. The important thing is that there seems to be a pistol for everybody out there!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I understand why he doesn't swap out the trigger.

A $20 GHOST 3.5 lb. Rocket or Zev trigger connector and $0.25 polish and trigger job get results, without spending money on a full trigger kit.

Carry what you feel confident in, and shoot it a ton. I'm going back to competing with my carry gun this year, because I've gotten away from why I started shooting matches in the first place.

Last edited:

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I fully respect Full-Autos decision not to swap his trigger or internals, his gun, his choice. I think some were just mentioning that there are things that could be done to make the M&P just perfect in the eye of the beholder, and offering a chance to see what he thinks of some of those modifications. Glocks dont work for me, but may for you. There's no such thing as one gun fits all.

The APEX parts I put in are closer to a 1911 trigger than a Glock, but a bit similar to a Glock as well. (Although I do love the Glocks tactile reset that mine is still lacking)

As long as you're confident and proficient to protect yourself and family that's all that matters, nothing else.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have shot a M&P 9 Pro with the APEX trigger in it. It felt good, but it almost felt like two stage trigger - something I'm not fond of on a handgun. It also didn't address the trigger reach issue for me, I am still forced to hook my finger over the trigger which doesn't work well for me and shooting accurately.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have shot a M&P 9 Pro with the APEX trigger in it. It felt good, but it almost felt like two stage trigger - something I'm not fond of on a handgun. It also didn't address the trigger reach issue for me, I am still forced to hook my finger over the trigger which doesn't work well for me and shooting accurately.

I believe APEX also has a Forward Set Sear and trigger kit that both increases length of pull and makes it more like a 1911 trigger. A bit pricey! I've never felt one or shot one. Perhaps someone else, here, can fill us in.
    https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010

Very well, that is definatley an issue that can not be solved by the new trigger. I'm glad though that you gave the M&P a fair chance and unbiased review. I've found it to be a very solid and reliable platform that fits me just right. It is also a welcome alternative for those that don't find Glocks to be their cup of tea. But like i said, theres no one gun fits all. Glocks and M&Ps are both solid reliable platforms.:yesway:

uhhh mps suck

Why do you say that?

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I believe APEX also has a Forward Set trigger that both increases length of pull and makes it more like a 1911 trigger. I've never felt one or shot one. Perhaps someone else, here, can fill us in.

I have the Forward Set Sear and Trigger, it changes the entire dynamic of the trigger pull. With the redesigned geometry of the sear, it allows the trigger to reset very shortly, reduces take up to almost nothing, and almost eliminates over travel much like a 1911. It also has a flat wide trigger face similar to a 1911, but with a slim trigger dongle safety like a Glock.

But as Full-Auto said, he's got bigger hands and can't properly place his finger where he needs to, an issue that can't be fixed with any trigger kit.

Check out my review if you want to know a bit more:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tactical_foward_set_sear_and_trigger_kit.html

Top Bottom