• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I'd like to try that with my M&P, i wonder how it would do. You should do a comparison video of some of the most popular carry weapons, of of weapons being considered for the military and see how they do I a "Military Arms Channel Weapon Throw down" Could be revealing...

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    that is why I suggested shooting a Pro. If you are in the Lafayette area anytime, you are welcome to shoot mine.

sometime next week could I take you up on that? if the offer extends to ingo in genreal that is. I am considering getting a Pro40, then a 9mm conversion barrel before I get a G35. I kinda want to play with the pro as I am thinking about getting just an l and adding an apex FSS.

as far as the caracal night sights go, all you might need is the front but I invite any of you to justify night sights, ( they are on my g19 and g20) because with a light they always wash out for me. without a light I can;t determin who is in front of my sights.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    There is no gun that can replace the Glock 19! Period. lol

Well maybe, more Glock 19's!!!!!!!!! :rockwoot:
    I love my Glocks. I have owned and shot them for decades. I think I have 8 Glocks in the safe and that number is always changing as I buy, sell and trade them. I have three G19's that I've used for carrying. I've finally settled on the EXO (nickle boron) Glock as my CCW gun due to the extremely tough finish on top of the Tennifer.

The EXO works great since I now carry my G19 in a Vanguard II holster which leaves it in contact with my skin many times... and skin = sweat and salt.

i-SHVBvQS-L.jpg

Glocks are great, and they've been great for the last 30 years. For most of that time they remained ahead of the game as their competition struggled to catch up. Now most new striker fired pistols borrow at least some of their design elements from the Glock.

Now we're seeing pistols coming out that improve upon the Glock. It only took them 30 years, but it's starting to happen.

Glock has made very little effort in keeping the G17/19 competitive. They've left the gun pretty much unchanged since the first ones rolled off the assembly line in 1982. Sure, there have been subtle changes to the extractors, finishes, grip contour/erogos, magazines, etc. but nothing major has been changed.

With the Gen 4 pistols Glock started to show signs of the pressure they're feeling from the competition. They introduced the grip inserts that mimic the user replaceable back straps found on many new polymer pistols. It was a half-baked attempt to modernize the pistol. I say it's half-baked because it's not a true user replaceable system, it's an overlay that makes an already blocky grip even thicker and IMHO less comfortable.

It's not the first half-baked attempt at modernizing the pistols. With the G21 SF w/1913 rail they introduced a ambi-mag release. The mag release was an utter failure and was quietly dropped after a short while.

They introduced the dual recoil spring system with the Gen 4 guns as well, and once again it proved to be troublesome for Glock. Many reports of failures to feed surfaced prompting Glock to issue several spring updates in rapid succession (4 total at last count). This was one of those "WTF" changes I never quite understood. I can see why there might have been some interest in the dual recoil spring for the .40 and .45 ACP pistols, but them putting it in the G17 makes absolutely no sense to me.

Anyway, my point in all of this is that while the Glocks have been great pistols for the last 30 years, they're not evolving the as they should be and now we're seeing other designs coming to market that are challenging its market share (the M&P is really taking a bite out of their US market).

I'm in no hurry to dump my Gen 3 G19 (I will skip the Gen 4's and see what they do with the Gen 5's) but I am now on the lookout for the next best thing. If I find it, I'll switch. If I don't, I won't. But there's a lot of interesting pistols being fielded right now and I'm going to evaluate them as they come along and see how they stack up to my old standby, the G19.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    M&P won't be replacing my Glock, You and me both brother

When I see a non- revolver Smith and Wesson handgun, I get pee shivers. I'm haunted with the memory of some of the crap they have pumped out, ie Sigma :puke:

Absolutely agree, the Sigma is the worst pistol I have ever handled and shot. The Hi Point shoots better than the Sigma.

Now back to the M&P:

Partial Quote:
    I dislike the trigger itself. It's creepy, lets off all the way back where it's practically touching the grip frame (see my comments above about it already being too short) and it lacks a reset that I can feel or hear. The issues with the trigger keeps me from shooting the M&P as well as I do my Glocks. Even when dry firing, no matter how careful I am with my trigger control, when it lets off I can see the sights move slightly. With my Glocks the sights remain rock solid on the target, so this tells me something with the ergonomics and the trigger are conspiring to make super accurate aimed fire difficult for me with the pistol.

I'll keep my M&P 9, it's a very good firearm. I'm also pulling for the M&P in the US military trials. But unfortunately, the gun just isn't well suited for my daily carry gun when I don't feel it's superior to the one I already have.:nailbite:

I bought a M&P9 Pro it is supposed to have a better trigger than the standard M&P. The M&P trigger is gritty and feels like dragging metal through broken rocks. The Pro version has a more positive reset but that is all, it is still gritty. Guys the M&P both standard and Pro have the crappiest trigger on any gun I have ever shot / handled except the aforementioned Sigma. To produce a handgun that demands to have the trigger upgraded with 3rd party parts like Apex is unforgivable in my opinion. Shame on you S&W, you produce some of the finest revolvers ever made.

I have been carrying a Glock (G22) 3rd gen for years. With the exception of a short stint of carrying a Kahr PM45. Although I like the M&P in general and really like the feel of it, the M&P will not replace my Glock. The M&P has a long way to go in the trigger department.

I like the M&P in general and think if S&W manages to create a smooth trigger pull it will be an outstanding handgun. But it is never going to replace my Glock, ever.

Top Bottom