• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctomuir

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    North West Indianapolis
    My wife started with a walther P22 less than 6 months ago. i let her fire as much as she wanted and move forward at her own pace,and now she has at it with my 357 mag and 45's like its nothing, and she is getting to be quite a good shot.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My wife carried two of my guns upstairs today because one of her friends was coming over. I said "Baby, did you enjoy feeling the man power in those puppies while you held them?"

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    My Gf started out the same way. I just talked to her about them and finally talked her into going out shooting with me. Started her off with a .22 pistol and now she is shooting my .40S&W Glock 22.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    How do I get my wife not to be afraid of guns anymore. If I get a gun she thinks I will get hurt.

Explain how friendly and caring a thug in the mall parking lot is, or the perv peeping through the window at night, or the robber holding you both at gunpoint, or the rapist who tries to break in your place.

rec4309

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Grandville, MI
    Our local indoor range has female salespeople and also teach a first steps class. Find other women shooters to talk to about guns. My wife has women asking her if they can come out and shoot with us. I have a few 22 pistols and rifles that go to the range every trip. We don't shoot anything larger than the 22's if there are new shooters with us, unless they want to shoot something bigger.

outdoorsman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    I think taking her to a class is probably the best idea. Plus a woman always looks up to her dad so having him give her a pep talk might help too. Just remind her that if she knows about guns and how to shoot one, then if something were to ever happen she would know how to use one and protect herself!

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    My wife was as anti-gun as you could be.

I just took every opportunity to point out self defense cases in the news or stories in the news where someone could have defended themselves had they had a gun. I pointed out how stupid some of the gun laws were. I never preached, but mentioned these things in passing. Slowly she started to turn around.

The thing that really convinced her was when she realized that many people she knew and respected owned and carried guns. We ran into the principal of her school where she teaches at Gander Mtn while looking at a gun and he came over and told her to buy it for me because he got that one for his birthday for carry and loved it.

Saying they are scared of guns is often a way to cover up the fact they are worried about the social implications of being a "gun person". They think it is taboo and something to be ashamed of, so they say they are scared of them.

Eventually my wife decided she should take a safety class so she could at last safely handle them if they were going to be in the house.

Here is the key... do NOT send your wife to an NRA safety class in this situation!

I signed my wife up for Sheriff Campell's Introduction to Defensive Pistol. I just didn't offer up the fact there was any other kind of class. His class does not teach basic gun safety for the purpose of going to the range to target shoot. It teaches you how to safely handle a gun for the purpose of shooting people who need shot! Her being instructed by a chief LEO that she SHOULD carry and she SHOULD defend herself had a tremendous impact on her. Suddenly it wasn't just not taboo... it was the RIGHT thing to do (the Sheriff told her so).

She came home after the first day and spent that night looking up info to visit Gunsite.

Later I informed her of why I didn't send her to an NRA basic safety class. She agreed that it probably would not have gotten her interested at all. Having a Sheriff yell at her that she was the only thing standing between a rapist and her daughter while drawing on a silhouette got her interested.

lrs019

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Look into a women's handgun class. I think taking her to shoots and NRA classes is a great idea, women tend to be intimidated by guns because they see it as "a man thing". You are probably proficient with handguns, and she may be intimidated by that. It's like taking the car to a mechanic...women tend to do whatever the mechanic says because they have no knowledge of cars and are intimidated into purchasing a service they may not need because they're afraid they may be stranded somewhere if they don't. Women's handgun classes take out most of that intimidation factor, especially if there are one or two woman instructors. I help instruct a woman's class in NWI and when they see me in the class, they realize this can be a "woman's sport" too. Most women who come to our classes have never shot anything before, so we gear our class to that. We also gear our class to self-defense, since a lot of women purchase guns (or their husbands want them to learn to shoot) for self-defense reasons. It also helps her confidence if she has a lady friend to attend the class with.

T_V

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If you are wanting to get her to go shooting, definately stick to the 22s and work your way up.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    Here's what I did with my girlfriend:

I took her to the range with the SR9. The very first thing I did was go through and explain all of the safety features, so she'd know it wouldn't explode if she simply looked at it funny. Next I shot a magazine through it, demonstrating basic techniques. She still refused to fire it, so I chambered one round, dropped the mag out and put in an empty one; then she was okay with shooting it. I think she felt more comfortable shooting it knowing that after she shot it, there was no more firepower left in the gun to accidentally unleash havoc upon the world. She's starting to warm up to guns, but she's still no warmer than "frosty".

colt22man

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Silver Creek hosts a monthly women's match. A group of women formed a club, DeadEye Daisy's. A local gun shop provides a NRA certified range officer and sponsers the women's group. May be a good opprotunity to introduce women to shooting. They shoot the 3rd. saturday of the month. The will start up again in march or April.

Bumsi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Mc Cordsville
    Take her to a local match to see everyone having fun and being nice. If she shows interest in trying it out let her shoot a .22 either pistol or rifle. When she finds out that she had fun and no one was hurt then you should be good to go.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Right before I go married I told my wife to be. That I like guns,hunting,my boat and airplane. If you did not want me to spend money on these, then now is the time to leave. Otherwise, It's my hobbies, if you want to join, great. If not, you know where to find me after work. Cause I you won't find me in a bar.

davek22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    I consider myself very fortunate, because both my wife and I grew up in the country and were always around guns. I have a sister who left the area right after high school, and lived around cities the rest her life. She recently moved back in my area with her now husband, who was pretty anti gun. After living back in the country for a few years now, they have both come around to be pro gun. Where we live, sometimes in will take 30-60 minutes for a leo to show at the scene. My son is an Indiana state tropper, and he will tell you that the police can't protect you. I think that some people just require more patience and teaching than others. Good luck

Top Bottom