• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    I recently purchased a 30-06 and from what I have read the Winchester 70 is arguably the best all purpose rifle ever made. I wanted to know what everyone thought about the 70

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Reading the replies about the Model 70 reminds me of ketchup. There is Red Gold, Heinz, and Hunts. None of them are bad and they each have their following. They will all season the burger, they all take a little shaking to come out of the bottle, and they all cost about the same.

Not a truly bad ketchup out there. Same for rifles too, I think.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Don't get me wrong, I think the Model 70 in all its variations is a great rifle. I have a 670, which is the same rifle with a beech stock and cheaper finish. All I'm saying is that there's nothing nearly as great about the early ones to warrant the huge prices people get for them. And here's a secret: the push feed models are slightly more accurate.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    An action's weight, dimensions, and stiffness are matters of objective fact. Despite the addition of some subjectivity the reasonable know that less brass support from a coned breech is no advantage when containing pressure. Neither are asymmetrical lugs.

The best thing about my M70s is that they make my M77s feel light.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    An action's weight, dimensions, and stiffness are matters of objective fact. Despite the addition of some subjectivity the reasonable know that less brass support from a coned breech is no advantage when containing pressure. Neither are asymmetrical lugs.

The best thing about my M70s is that they make my M77s feel light.

?
    wow.

I read this like 18 times. I am still trying to figure out your point.

Either I need another beer or you do.

The M70 is a copy of the 98 action and the ruger 77 action is a copy of the M70 action. Not exactly of course, but the lineage is there.

The M70 has won lots of matches including 1000 yard matches.

Regards.....

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've heard rumors of just such a lineage. That the first 3 properties I mention get worse as one works backward along it is the point. And the last 2 cause me to wonder if it handles gas like a Mouser.

One would be hard pressed to find an action that had reached wide circulation that hadn't won matches out to the magic 1000 yards. The distance modern customs actions that now dominate such matches are removed from the above lineage is a finger point in the right direction.

But that is all together different from "the best all purpose rifle ever made", a title that would have to be held by a thoughtfully chambered Kimber Montana. Though looking at one, I wonder if it might share some lineage. Maybe the trend continues.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I used to have a Model 70 Ranger, great shooting rifle! I would have never gotten rid of it if I could use it to hunt here. Wish I had it back to play with long range shooting now. :facepalm:

Top Bottom